Lane discipline

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Recently I left Newbury heading north on the A34 (2 lanes, dual carriageway, NSL) early morning. Little traffic at first and I set myself up doing 65mph in lane 1. Eventually I was closing on a whole pile of traffic doing the tailgating thing in lane 2 but lane 1 continued to be clear. I moved to the far left of lane 1 and continued at 65. This resulted in me slowly undertaking, for several miles. I didn't weave and no lane 2 drivers felt the need to return to lane 1.

I offer the following excerpts from the Highway Code:

Rule 137 (Dual carriageways)
On a two-lane dual carriageway you should stay in the left-hand lane. Use the right-hand lane for overtaking or turning right. After overtaking, move back to the left-hand lane when it is safe to do so.
Rule 163 (General)
includes "stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left"
Rule 264 (Motorways)
You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear...Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking.
Rule 268 (Motorways)
Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right.

Have at it!

Jonnyp

IBA Member
I’m 100% with you Bob but I think you’ll be banging your head for a very long time on that one.......not sure why we spend loads of money in this country building 2/3 lane motorways, just build the outside lane and be done with it...

bmbob

IBA Member
Hi Guys
Yes I also agree.
There is a section of A1(M) near Peterborough that is 4 lanes and has miles of traffic tailgating in lane 3! and lane 1 is empty.
I sit in lane 1 at 70mph am usually all alone.
Ride safe
Regards Bob

Aitch

Hi Guys
Yes I also agree.
There is a section of A1(M) near Peterborough that is 4 lanes and has miles of traffic tailgating in lane 3! and lane 1 is empty.
I sit in lane 1 at 70mph am usually all alone.
Ride safe
Regards Bob
This happened to me last night on the A1 - merc driver doing 55 in the third lane and as I was towing a small trailer ( I was in the car going to rescue my bike from France but thats another story) I couldn't overtake him. I don't venture south too often these days but lane discipline has taken a bit of a nose dive since I lived there 20 years ago.....

Megabuck

IBAUK Verifier
IBA Member
This happened to me last night on the A1 - merc driver doing 55 in the third lane and as I was towing a small trailer ( I was in the car going to rescue my bike from France but thats another story) I couldn't overtake him.
As long as both he and you are doing less than the speed limit, and as long as it is safe, it is perfectly legal to go past him in lane 1 or 2. I was told that on a Met Police Bikesafe course a few years back, in a section about 'making progress' (oddly enough, they didn't use Dave Badcock's 'GLF' phrase...) - both going past while in an inside lane, and filtering between two lanes of other vehicles, is legal up to the speed limit, provided it's safe. They emphasised that you shouldn't be swerving around between lanes, but the example they gave was that, if you are in lane 1 when the 64 mph Drivers Club is in lane 3 overtaking the 63 mph Drivers Club in lane 2, you can 'undertake' them all at 70 mph.

Regards,
Martin

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
As long as both he and you are doing less than the speed limit, and as long as it is safe, it is perfectly legal to go past him in lane 1 or 2. I was told that on a Met Police Bikesafe course a few years back, in a section about 'making progress' (oddly enough, they didn't use Dave Badcock's 'GLF' phrase...) - both going past while in an inside lane, and filtering between two lanes of other vehicles, is legal up to the speed limit, provided it's safe. They emphasised that you shouldn't be swerving around between lanes, but the example they gave was that, if you are in lane 1 when the 64 mph Drivers Club is in lane 3 overtaking the 63 mph Drivers Club in lane 2, you can 'undertake' them all at 70 mph.

Regards,
Martin
My local Bike Cop went further and said he'd nick the muppets in Lane 2 & 3 in the circumstances Martin outlines. However, tread with care as not all Police are Traffic Trained officers and some unenlightened ones see it as undertaking which they view as an offence!

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The US has the same problem. People in the overtaking lane that just stay there for no reason. And the same problem, though rarer, of police considering it an offense to overtake in the 'slow' lane. We refer to these drivers as 'lane squatters'.

Annoying that someone will move out of the passing lane when you come up behind them, (occasionally this actually happens!), then when you overtake them, they will return to the passing lane with no reason what so ever to be in that lane.