Le Jog 9th July 2016, Meet Lands End 5am to sign in/complete paperwork

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
From old Forum Runners and riders for Le Jog

I thought, how about 'breakfast' at Land's End and dinner/drinks at John O'Groats.

Departure just after sunrise (5:24am) and photo from Lands end. Hopefully at JoG by sunset (10:15pm) for team photo

FazerPhil wrote:
Having had another meeting with Gordon there will be special rules for this ride. I will be at Lands End to sign everyone out and at jog to sign everyone back in. You will need to collect intermediate fuel receipts but NOT start and end receipts as I will witness your start and end. You should only attempt the daylight end to end if you are used to riding for long hours or have previously completed an Iron Butt ride. I will be staying over Saturday night at John o groats so can also sign riders in who take longer to complete the ride. Anyone who completes the ride in Daylight will get a special "Daytime End To End certificate " The fee Will be the normal £25.

Interested

1) GSears https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=1175557794e88daf75

2) Slow Poke (Daylight E2E Gold?)

3) JON12A

4)

5) Softy

6) jaybee68 (Daylight E2E Gold?)

7) Winglider https://spotwalla.com/tripViewer.php?id=11753577949242ecab

8) FazerPhil https://spotwalla.com/embed.php?id=117fc577eb153a872f&scale=on&zoom=default&refresh=no

9/10) Graemeandsally

11) GL Rider

12) Ziggy

13) Panman

14) madmac?

15) John Theobald Not on forum

16) Rick Stowell

17) flyingrasb

18) Andy Whiteley

Last edited by a moderator:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
FJRPilot said:
I think the Brit Butt Light Rally is on Saturday 23rd, so maybe a later date would be more appropriate Gordon?
GSears said:
I hadn't seen the BBL date....

I would suggest the 8th of July as an alternative date in that case. The 1st is only a week after the proposed ERTE date. Possible but....

Any preference.
g.s.john said:
I would prefer the other way round start at JoG as it's
a shorter ride home after.
sneezy said:
The problem with starting up north john is your hitting south at
afternoon/evening rush hour.
Good idea gordon, i was thinking similar, racing sunlight, sunrise to
sunset e2e?
But i cant do this, july very busy month for me next year, (attempting to
complete the 100km walk being one of them, dont like being beaten)
saphena said:
I think that's a pretty optimistic time you've come up with there Gordon. That's how long I took getting to JoG from my house two months ago and LE is quite a bit further away. Admittedly, I'm not the fastest rider but don't forget that google is only showing moving time; stops and traffic are extra.

We'd need to hit JoG by 2300 latest cos it's a little village miles from anywhere and they'll all be in bed when we get there.

Were you thinking of a group ride, or just everyone going his own way as usual? A 20 bike hunting pack up the M6 might even get noticed.
FJRPilot said:
Just my ten pence worth but as this isn't a RTE and is an organised event maybe consultation with El Presidente first might have been a good idea. Any possible conflictions or issues could then be ironed out.

Having said that, I do like the format, but as Saphena has pointed out there will be those who hammer it and arrive in a decent time but others who maybe run into traffic or don't want to ride like the wind in which case they'll end up too late and miss the party.

If it's the finish together that is the goal then maybe allowing riders to start at whatever time they like to suit their riding style might be a compromise.

I'll shut up now
Tom Tom said:
Why not do it the other way round, evening meal at LE breakfast at JOG?
g.s.john said:
The last time i did that (see three corners ride
report)
it took me 15 hours to ride home from JoG 788 miles so
a little bit of rush hour in the south west is not a
problem,i do the M25/central london on a daily basis
in a cage at least i can filter on the bike.
And it is only 360 mile from LE
Slow Poke said:
I'm interested Gordon.

Plenty of time to sort out wrinkles.
sneezy said:
That could take time, we not the youngest bunch of people, so a fair
few wrinkles, its why i like being rotund, less wrinkles
GSears said:
Thanks Mike. Whilst at Squires I spoke to Phil about the ride and received approval for the idea. I again apologise for initially suggesting a date that clashed with the BBL
. The new date corresponds to the weekend we ran JOGLE on. (Midway between a ERTE and the BBL). The ride opening is constrained by Weather, BBR, Holidays and Midge season in Scotland.

I will be riding South to North on this weekend, I just thought (selfishly I suppose) it might be good to have somebody in the bar, afterwards, taking the p_ss out of me that I know rather than a stranger.
We rode North to South last time. So to make it fair...... (and the Whisky selection is better at JOG
)

Also I can get to LE after work on Friday and Ride home on Sunday

As you point out, Mike, any wrinkles can be sorted. The main issues at the moment for anyone who wants to ride is accommodation. Even at this early date hotels are starting to book up.

Enjoy.

Edit: If you want in, say so
Slow Poke said:
Which hotels do you favour Gordon?
GSears said:
SeaView at JOG. They do singles, twins and a couple of 4 bunk rooms. It's also open till late (I know someone who got up for breakfast and people were still in the bar) so a late check-in should be OK if something unforeseen happens.

From the south no preference as it depends on your ride, straight E2E or put on an extra 160 riding into LE and do a SS1000 as well!

EDIT SEAVIEW CHECK-IN closes at 23:30

Restaurant/food is shown as available 0700-00:00 hours
JON12A said:
I'm intesested in this Gordon .
Do you want us to book our own hotel or are you waiting for definite
numbers before proceeding ?.
GSears said:
John

I will be riding Le Jog the weekend-08/07/16- (unless I am incapacitated
)

I think it best if we all book our own Hotels. As usual a post on the thread (as a visit to The Pirates) to let everyone know what the popular Hotels are on the southern end, as I expect at JOG all will want to stay at the SeaView. Also requests for 'shares' can be posted.

Provisional booking at SeaView JOG and Premier Inn, Helston.
JON12A said:
Seaview Hotel booked at John Ogroats Sat 9 july .
Thinking of stopping at hotel in L/E Friday and setting
of at 4.30 in morning Saturday so as to be able to enjoy
a
couple of pints in JOG.
Had to book on Hotels own web site as Booking.com show
hotel as full that weekend. As it is if your thinking of
going book a room soon as their were 3 doubles and 1
single left.
Although the dormitory was still available.
Just looking on google to see where i can get a receipt
that early for proof of start time. Im sure someone on
here must know.
Megabuck said:
Gordon,

A great idea - something different, and worth supporting. Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it - I'm planning a family holiiday to the US at that time.

Regards,
Martin
GSears said:
Martin

ID says it all
Have a good time in the states...

John

I will be liaising with Mike and Phil re start receipts. If we have this as an event those leaving en mass can be checked out. I will ensure we have an agreed procedure for those leaving before the group departs.
Slow Poke said:
OK booked into Sea View on the 9th.

Hopefully this attempt will be more successful than the last
effort.
Belizibub said:
Jon/Gordon,
Early/Late receipts can be from Tesco Wick (24hr)and Tesco
Penzance (Pay at pump)
sneezy said:
If you leave at sunrise jog, which is 04:19
Sunset at lands end is 21:32
Which is plenty of time imho.
Just an idea.
Coxy said:
Stick us down Seaview booked Lands End hotel coming back.
I can always sleep in Young John Cunniffe,s room he can sleep on the side of his bike it will do him good.

Catch you all at the Christmas do JC
JON12A said:
Thanks for that guys ill Google em now.
Coxy said:
Just to make it clear.

1/ Sea View booked Sat 9 July 2016.

2/Lands End Hotel coming back means RINGING ME BACK ON THE PHONE ref my intended booking Fri 8 July 2016.

3/Start LE Sun rise 9 July 2016 into JOG before sun set for a pint or two.

Clear as mud hy
JC
GSears said:
I have a newbie joining me for this one as he shouldn't be out after dark...... He sampled Debs lemon drizzle cake at her ride to eat, just wondering if there might be some more
. Name added to list.
jaybee68 said:
I'm in too Gordon.
Will be trying for a Gold.
jaybee68 said:
Just booked a twin room at the Sea View if anyone wants the 2nd bed.
jaybee68 said:
Anyone want to share a 2 bed studio at LE - had the Longboat inn at
Sennen in mind.
GSears said:
John, list updated.

Looking at my running time for Jogle last year a daylight Gold E2E is possible. Tight for me, but...... I'm like the tortoise.......
Wingliider said:
jaybee68

PM Sent
Wingliider said:
Hi Gordon

I'm in, please add me to your list.

GSears said:
Steve

List updated

FazerPhil said:
Having had another meeting with Gordon there will be
special rules for this ride. I will be at Lands End
to sign everyone out and at jog to sign everyone
back in. You will need to collect intermediate fuel
receipts but NOT start and end receipts as I will
witness your start and end.

You should only attempt the daylight end to end if
you are used to riding for long hours or have
previously completed an Iron Butt ride.

I will be staying over Saturday night at John o
groats so can also sign riders in who take longer
to complete the ride.

Anyone who completes the ride in Daylight will get a
special "Daytime End To End certificate " The fee
Will be the normal £25.
Slow Poke said:
"I will be at Lands End
to sign everyone out and at jog to sign everyone
back in."

You using a helicopter than Phil?
Graemeandsally said:
put us both down
FazerPhil said:
There will be a fall back plan.
Slow Poke said:
Oi Mr Sears what's this daylight malarkey?
Tom Tom said:
A round trip from our house to LE then JOG is just over 1700 miles I might be up for it and a bb1500 as well, it should jive me time to have a meal at JOG or at least a couple of hours with my eyes shut, but I can't confirm till closer to the time.
GSears said:
Foster

Probably......
orestesdjc said:
To get from LE to JoG between sunrise and sunset I believe.
[/quote]
GSears said:
Dave,

Are you in.....
Slow Poke said:
I know what it is Dave, I was just asking how i got roped
in?? Read my name does that sound like a contender for this
event.
orestesdjc said:
Not sure. On the last JoG/LE ride I lost my sight in one eye
Although it is tempting.
GSears said:
Just like the tortoise.........
Slow Poke said:
Flattery will get you no where Mr Sears
GL Rider said:
Sea-view Booked 9th July.

So put me down for the ride as well please

Graham
GSears said:
Welcome and Done
madmac said:
provided im fit and well again I may well consider having a bash at this one
Panman said:
Hi Gordon,

Can you add me to the list.

Alan
GSears said:
Alan

Done

Andy Whiteley

Premier Member
I wouldn't mind giving this a crack. I'm a Newbie so be gentle with me. Will be looking for a room at LE & Joe. Would be the weekend or early next week before I could confirm though

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
I wouldn't mind giving this a crack. I'm a Newbie so be gentle with me. Will be looking for a room at LE & Joe. Would be the weekend or early next week before I could confirm though
Welcome, I'll add you to the list when you confirm.

Don't forget your waterproofs........;)

Andy Whiteley

Premier Member
Reet can i put myself down for this please, coming from Yorkshire so I will probably run down to LE Friday. Will work the rest out later

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Just a short ride after your inaugural ss1000.

Or are you going for Gold......

Added

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Gordon/Phil , Can you please confirm Daylight Running is First Light to Last Light and is Daylight running ride the Standard, Gold or applies to both categories....

Sat 9th July
Lands End First Light 04:42
JoG Last Light 23:27

Or

Lands End Sunrise 05:24
JoG Sunset 22:15 (Sun Subject to availability and is not guaranteed when in Scotland, a dull grey may be asked to stand in))

Andy Whiteley

Premier Member
Just a short ride after your inaugural ss1000.

Or are you going for Gold......

Added
In for a penny in for a pound, will probably go for the gold. If I was wearing the right gear on my premier I might have carried on a little further. How many are doing the standard and how many doing the gold?

Never really done it before but is it possible to make my run a charity thing. Id like to do some thing to help stroke victims in memory of my brother.. he would have loved to do something like this. No idea how to go about it. Any suggestions?

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Andy

Phil will probably confirm, but the advice has always been not to do charity runs on a time limit ride. It puts you under pressure to finish when you might otherwise call it off. I think the charity part of the RBLR can be done over a longer period than 24 hours. If you have to stop and take longer you don't qualify for the ss1000, if memory serves me correctly.

Andy

Phil will probably confirm, but the advice has always been not to do charity runs on a time limit ride. It puts you under pressure to finish when you might otherwise call it off. I think the charity part of the RBLR can be done over a longer period than 24 hours. If you have to stop and take longer you don't qualify for the ss1000, if memory serves me correctly.
OK thanks Gordon,
It was just an idea. With work etc I probably wouldn't have time sort it anyway. Will be a thing to do at a later date maybe.
Thanks again

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Hi Andy
Every ld ride i do, i do for charity. I always set up a just giving page, really easy, and as long as you state what you are ATTEMPTING to do, then if you didnt complete it for one reason or another, everyones happy.
Plus with just giving, once they donated, they cant get money back anyway lol.
@ gordon, whats the gold ride? Or is that the standard e2e gold? To do that in daylight would really be pushing it.

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
Hi ziggy.
In the opening statement it quotes
"Departure just after sunrise (5:23am) and photo from Lands end. Hopefully at JoG by sunset (10:18pm) for team photo"
So im assuming thats the timings

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi ziggy.
In the opening statement it quotes
"Departure just after sunrise (5:23am) and photo from Lands end. Hopefully at JoG by sunset (10:18pm) for team photo"
So im assuming thats the timings
Yes I read that .....

Then it says ''Anyone who completes the ride in Daylight will get a special "Daytime End To End certificate " The fee Will be the normal £25.''

From my perspective Daylight starts at first Light

Q2 was due to the timings ..... is the Daylight ride for the Standard short route or the longer Gold route or which ever the rider wishes to complete.

The question is related to the Daylight timings I took time to looked up for others as well to see which challenge they may wish to complete.
While I don't have a problem doing the Gold route in the sunrise - sunset timings or the short hop north I thought it may be a good question to raise.

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
I see what your saying.
IF i attempt it, id just be doing the shorter route, as ive already got the e2e gold, or maybe id turn it into a ss2000 gold,
Hmmmm carlisle, round m25, up to gordano, down to le, then do e2e gold up to jog, in daylight, then back to carlisle, all in under 36 hours.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I see what your saying.
IF i attempt it, id just be doing the shorter route, as ive already got the e2e gold, or maybe id turn it into a ss2000 gold,
Hmmmm carlisle, round m25, up to gordano, down to le, then do e2e gold up to jog, in daylight, then back to carlisle, all in under 36 hours.

Sounds like a Plan Sneezy, I'm thinking of nipping up the road first to JOG then head down the short route then back up the Gold route.
No great rush coming down to the start point doing the short route and a gives me a few miles to get into the zone .... (Still an SS1000 on the short route)

But I'll see on the day what I fancy doing ...

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Daylight is normally 1/2 hour before sunrise and after sunset. When Gordon set this up he stated times which we will adhere to.
I suppose if we want to be totally correct it is a Sunrise to Sunset ride
It was envisaged that the Sunrise to sunset would be just LE to JOG. A Gold ride would mean riding just outside BunBurner pace when a lot of the ride is off of motorways.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks Phil for the update....

Well the Gold gives me 20 mins to play with on the Sunrise - Sunset proposed timings.
Mmm tight.

Last edited:

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
Hi All,
I've got 2 twin rooms booked - one at each end.
Wingliider has taken one of the spare beds - Steve can you confirm which.
I think Bob Clark has the other but both of us lost track of whether it is the LE end or t'other.
Or I may have messed up totally.