Le Jog 9th July 2016, Meet Lands End 5am to sign in/complete paperwork

JON12A

IBAUK's retired Shop Keeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Ive got to say that the BMW Street guard is overall the best suit I've ever had so far as keeping the wet out.
They are a bit heavy and you do get very hot in summer but i feel a new purchase coming on as mine is 7 years old now.

Last edited:

Bobbyc

The Magnificent Seven strike,9started 7 finished the LE/JOG over 600 miles of heavy rain.Fog at both ends down to less than 100m at Jog makes the A99 interesting. Wonder what Gordon is going to dream up next year.

FJRPilot

Brit Butt Rallymaster RBLR1000 routemaster
Premier Member
IBA Member
I've got one and they're very good as a winter neck tube. To keep heavy water out they are supposed to be worn outside your jacket collar so water runs off and not down your neck. However the practicalities of getting it to sit in the right place with restricted movement in armoured jackets makes this virtually impossible to achieve single handed. Fine if you've got a riding buddy to help you dress before setting off but no good if it chucks it down and you need to stop and put it on yourself.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Got a neck tube with the Rukka Armas but it zips onto the collar velcroes around the side but it is shaped to fit under the chin strap

I have an hv collar and I have never even considered wearing it on the outside. The lower bib would blow about all the time and water would get underneath. I say this because if I am walking with jacket undone it always seems to blow up, so 70 officer, can't imagine.
After using for two years though it doesn't seem so waterproof anymore, time to order up a couple of replacements cos overall been very happy since this topic was brought up on the old forum a couple of years ago when I last purchased this collar.

Be lucky, Iain

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
What I do with my HV collar is I get dressed "normally" (earplug in, balaclava or buff in place, jacket zipped and buttoned up) then before pulling my lid on I use two hands to pull the HV collar over my head and down over the neck of my jacket (and rain suit) then I pull my lid on and go.

The last time I suffered any wet wicking down my chest was the last time I didn't wear the HV collar. Wearing the collar inside the jacket would be inviting wet to run down inside in the same way it would happen if I tucked my trousers into my boots. It rained some during my little Romanian jaunt but I remained dry.

Well it's pissing down now, I'll give it a go. Maybe I don't need a new one just need to put it on properly...lol. Still dubious though.

Oh and congratulations to all who embarked on the daylight challenge, looking forward to reading ride reports as and when...

Be lucky, Iain

Last edited:

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
Oh and congratulations to all who embarked on the daylight challenge, looking forward to reading ride reports as and when...

Be lucky, Iain
Ride report for Iain

Sun came up (presumably as it was 05:24)
Started to ride.
It was foggy.
It started to rain.
It stopped raining and got foggy again.
Arrived at SeaView and bought beers. All was well.

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Got home from work and went to bed until midnight
Had breakfast

Left at 1am rode 200 miles to misty, windy LE. Arrived at 430am

1st stop Stafford, rain started. Often torrential
2nd stop nr Glasgow. Brief chat to Ziggy

Arrived JOG in fog and rain

Saturated but not too uncomfortable with LD comfort underwear. Coffee crisps, booked in, changed, hang clothes up with fan heater under and returned to the bar. Ziggy arrived shortly after. Gordon/Paul John/Bob close behind. Alan used all the time arriving just before the sunrise.
Food, drinks, hen do all dressed as circus performers. Clown was the bride.

Bed at 1130 up at sunrise left at 4am

Much better clearer day. Made good progress no sign of traffic for the 1st hour.

1st sun for 1200 miles

Mist in the valleys on the A9

1st stop Breakfast south of Glasgow

Splash and dash nr Worcester at my mothers in Bristol at 230pm. 1700 miles in 37.5 hours