Leap of Faith 29th Feb 2024

JohnR

Mr. QR code
IBA Member
I think part of the challenge of this ride here in the UK is that February is our coldest month with only 8½ hours of daylight which means at least half the ride will be sub 0°C temps and add to that the wind chill! It's a ride the likes of which you cannot fully experience at the back end of an Australian summer...

...but fill you're boots.

Last edited:

wully

Brit Butt Tour Admin. Retired.
Few have done it.
Can you take a leap of faith?
Only possible every 4 years.
Ride a Saddlesore 1000 in a leap year on 29th February and get a certificate to commemorate your once in 4 years ride.
Just a quick question, does the Leap of Faith ride need to start and finish on the 29th, or can it just started or finished on the 29th.

Firstpeke

My planned route starts in the morning of the 29th to ensure that at least a half of the route and more than 12 hours of time to be completed on the 29th.

Also heading across country then south rather than ride in Scotland due to the obvious drop in temperatures which would be experienced overnight north of here, hopefully temperatures down south will remain above freezing overnight.

My Gerbing jacket and gloves may also help.......

Rain however is forecast, so that is not so good.

Safari Ferg

Safari Ferg, President IBA Ireland
Premier Member
You only need a Dated Receipt on 29th Feb

Please see the response from the IBA Premier Team on 3rd Feb when I asked about the two different requirements.

"Here's what we did.
In order to make the ride rules consistent worldwide, we will soon eliminate the rules you have seen on
www.ironbutt.org/leapyear
and they will be replaced with the page
www.ironbutt.com/themerides/leapyear
Please post something on your forum so every
body know of the new rules.

So basically, under the new rules, you need JUST ONE receipt on February 29 to qualify. This makes the ride a bit easier and much much easier to verify."

Firstpeke

Mine took me the other way, up to Glasgow, across to Berwick on Tweed, down to London via A1 (M) and M11, M25, M3, A303, M5. M6. M74, A70....

I will write it up when I get time but haven't even submitted yet....

Last edited: