Lets not make 2021 a wash

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
So I am sitting here looking at all these rides of yore... and that is just what they all are. Are there no ride to eats or meet and greats this year?

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
So I am sitting here looking at all these rides of yore... and that is just what they all are. Are there no ride to eats or meet and greats this year?
There are many still happening, perhaps not as many as before, however there is no single location for information sharing. Some is here, others are on Facebook (sometimes in private groups), some are in the Jonas Ride master and others are on private email lists.

Although there are some cross posting, not everything is cross posted or shared, a lot is word of mouth.

Long way of saying ya gotta ping a bunch of different places and or keep in touch with a group of others doing the same to be "in the know"so to speak.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Are you really that surprised at the lack of RTEs? Some people are ignoring the elephant in the room, and those that are not don't really see it as a great idea to mix it up with groups of people from wide spread areas. I'd love to do RTEs more, but it's a stupid risk for my household when you look at the numbers.

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Exactly. Last Saturday, I lost a very dear friend, 30 years my neighbor, to COVID.
One of my very closest friends - who works in the hospital - went down mid-day yesterday and may have --- COVID. Spoke with him a couple hours ago and he's not good. Like me, he is vax'd.

IMO - as with EricV - any gathering is off the table for me right now.

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
Are you really that surprised at the lack of RTEs? Some people are ignoring the elephant in the room, and those that are not don't really see it as a great idea to mix it up with groups of people from wide spread areas. I'd love to do RTEs more, but it's a stupid risk for my household when you look at the numbers.
I'm a grown up who had my shots, specifically for purposes of travel. I do security at large concerts and the going rule is vax card or on spot instant test. They are $25 for 2 of them, I'm certainly not going to let $12 get in the way of getting back to living life.

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
Exactly. Last Saturday, I lost a very dear friend, 30 years my neighbor, to COVID.
One of my very closest friends - who works in the hospital - went down mid-day yesterday and may have --- COVID. Spoke with him a couple hours ago and he's not good. Like me, he is vax'd.

IMO - as with EricV - any gathering is off the table for me right now.
Sorry to hear about your buddies, but there is also a point where the mental health risk of not living life out weighs the potential benefit of continued isolation.
Hope your coworker gets better soon.

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
There are many still happening, perhaps not as many as before, however there is no single location for information sharing. Some is here, others are on Facebook (sometimes in private groups), some are in the Jonas Ride master and others are on private email lists.

Although there are some cross posting, not everything is cross posted or shared, a lot is word of mouth.

Long way of saying ya gotta ping a bunch of different places and or keep in touch with a group of others doing the same to be "in the know"so to speak.
Thanks for the scoop, I think I joined that ride master thing for a rally coming up in may. Just not sure what the official name of it was to find it again.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm a grown up who had my shots, specifically for purposes of travel. I do security at large concerts and the going rule is vax card or on spot instant test. They are $25 for 2 of them, I'm certainly not going to let $12 get in the way of getting back to living life.
That's great for that venue. That's not happening at RTEs. I've had my shots too. Doesn't matter much when someone has CV and spreads it to a group of others, who spread it to others, etc. The Delta variant is a breakthrough virus, with vaccinated people catching it, and sometimes spreading it before they know they have it. Betting on not having a severe reaction or complications isn't a great bet for older folks. It's less of a risk for you, and no harm/no foul in your making decisions for your own risk level and your choices.

My point is that too many people are ignoring this and think the pandemic is "over" because they have their shots. We had a window of normalcy, but clearly that's over now with the stupid high numbers of hospitalizations and deaths again. A lot more people need to get their shots before we can step away from this crap and it becomes relatively minor instead of life impacting for millions of people.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I get that you want to get out and do things you haven't been doing, socialize with like minded people, etc. That will come. But you're not even a rider if you haven't done the Georgia Donut Trail and extended that to other cities for a SS1K or better ride. ;) You might find something else that interests you on that site or this one. Or make your own RTE call out for a place you want to go and see who shows up.

Tcmcnomad

NoMaD
Premier Member
I get that you want to get out and do things you haven't been doing, socialize with like minded people, etc. That will come. But you're not even a rider if you haven't done the Georgia Donut Trail and extended that to other cities for a SS1K or better ride. ;) You might find something else that interests you on that site or this one. Or make your own RTE call out for a place you want to go and see who shows up.
Oh hell yes! That donut trail is right up this fat boys alley thanks for the scoop.... I mean the hole info