Lighthouse Tour challenge Series

looks good i've been chewing this over and think maybe a uk based lighthouse tour for me once I've done a bit of research ( link above useful) i'll post proposed locations round the coast and could be a few days out. that rare beast the sun is out for a brief appearance so other things on than sitting a a computer.

i have looked at this now and come up with my solution. As some of you know i tend to go off and do rides of a challenge adventure nature and don't really bother to much about certificates verification or any of that stuff. I know I've done it and that's enough for me. But some of you have shown an interest and I am happy to share.
This will prove to be an epic ride over a hundred hours of riding without including any time for stops, and over 4.000 miles could easily reach 4,500 miles.
So i have identified 160 lighthouses or beacons around the coast of Britain, Not every lighthouse or beacon has been included in the list. Light ships have been left out and those lighthouses that are not visible from the mainland or on an island that is not linked by a road bridge to the mainland. I have avoided those private residences where you cannot class the lighthouse as part of the general view, to avoid intrusions into people’s privacy. Also any with a long walk only short walks from accessible parking included. Or in some cases just didn’t like them or the access to them. and i've not included the inland lighthouses just those on the coast.
They create in effect a circular route around the coast. they are numbered 1 to 160 my intention is to start at number 1 then ride round them in order. Missing just one light house out due to the entrance cost but it is the only roman light house and is probably worth a mention and individual visit by itself hence its inclusion. the shortest route i can figure is well over 4,000 miles and includes the use of shortcuts via numerous ferries miss the ferry and the route gets a lot longer.
i made my self some rules start at any of the lighthouses the travel clockwise or anticlockwise from there. I cannot or will not break the order i can take as long as i like or as many goes as i like. But must always resume from the last one visited. my intention is once i set off I'm going round till the end. I have not worked the timings out completely, maybe a week or more. cant photograph at night because they are notoriously bad to photograph then and they pretty much look the same in the dark. Some of these are of in the distance or out to sea so if i arrive in fog or mist some common sense is required a photograph of conditions and sat nav location, to big a ride to stop and wait for the weather to get better.
I have completed a little write up a few sentences about the light and a picture for each one plus a GPX file not only the lights but also view points and parking positions to gain access anyone how wants this i will share with them.
Screenshot 2022-09-22 200427.png

Firstpeke

That's both impressive and daunting.....

Some years ago a friend did all the Scottish mainland lighthouses as a charity ride and I accompanied him on the south west of Scotland ones.......

It took a lot longer than expected and in some cases involved challenging rides AND walks....

Best one was the Mull of Galloway as they have a nice cafe and views!

Also quite good was the one at Corsewall, north west of Stranraer... where we had a very nice sandwich and pot of tea in the hotel!

I wish you well with your ride, enjoy!

Avi Azrieli

Premier Member
"I have completed a little write up a few sentences about the light and a picture for each one plus a GPX file not only the lights but also view points and parking positions to gain access anyone how wants this i will share with them."
I'd love to see those. Can you post here? (I'm working on a similar plan for the US & Canada - a bigger fish to fry, but similar fun.)

lightships are out there I didn't include any because i didn't want to there is even an old one outside of Preston Dock so not even in the water. but you can add whatever you like and put yourself your bike or whatever you want in the picture its your ride your rules. On planning this i realized i could achieve a circular coast route of Britain or near enough which i've always wanted to do. so hence i eliminated all sorts of beacons i didn't like and anything i felt intruded on someone's privacy etc or just added clutter to the ride.

Avi Azrieli

Premier Member
I have included lightships in my certified ride a few years ago with no issue.

The IBA definition of lighthouses in the ride rules is:
“The conventional definition of a lighthouse is a tower or other structure containing a beacon light to warn or guide ships at sea. However, the Iron Butt Dictionary defines a lighthouse as: “A photographic or rubber stamping opportunity that lures a motorcyclist into taking the time to visit and experience new roads, often reaching the very end, and to visit, in the words of the United States Lighthouse Society, ‘the many proud coastal ladies of former years with their sweeping towers of brick and Victorian gingerbread.’”

A lightship is definitely “a structure containing a beacon light to warn or guide ships at sea.” Also, a number of lightships are listed on the Lighthouse Friends website.