Little CBR300 dreaming BIG! Vancouver area Saddlesore

Thinking of doing a little bit of a roadtrip sometime soon. A Saddlesore 1600. I've designed a bit of a 1800km, 20hrs ring route that almost reaches Banff. I could do back and forth but I do want to see more of BC while I'm out of the city.
It starts from Burnaby, Hope, go up Coquihalla to Meritt, then Kamloops, Revelstoke, Golden, Radium Hot Spring, Cranbrook, Castlegar, Osoyoos, Princeton, then I find Hope again as the journey comes to an end.
Hopefully, finding my witness to sign my form before I collapse from exhaustion.
I've did a bit of math and I should expect about 230-250km of range per tank in the CBR300R before it hits reserve.
How does this route sound?
Google map routes linked.
map1.jpg map2.jpg
https://goo.gl/maps/d3JVA7UUiBA2
https://goo.gl/maps/g71GsKfNV7t

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Looks like an enjoyable route to ride. I have a planned stop in Osoyoos in 2 weeks on my way to Hyder. As OX said - big ride on a small bike.

Thanks all :D
I have a quick question about the witness requirement if that's okay. I know we need a starting and ending witness for the event but what does the witness need to do exactly? I want to be able to explain to the person I'm asking what he needs to do so I don't sign someone else up for something they never asked for. I know they might need to answer a phonecall or a letter but is there anything else? Like....does the witness have to be within a certain distance or time from the first gas receipt or what not.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
The IBA is really looking for someone within a reasonable time/distance from your end receipt. Cops and firemen work great for that. Someone made up a form a while back that you could give to someone to explain what it is you're asking from them, Unless someone has a copy you might have to poke around on the IBA site to find it. And yes, they pretty much need to be able to answer a phone call or respond to a letter.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Most people here in Oz use the gas station attendant, though I have used police officers as witnesses on USA rides. Personally I would have been signed off in a petrol station by dozens and dozens of different attendants. Some have signed a whole bunch of times due to their regular late night/early morning shifts at my local. Wayne from Wallsend Shell has probably waved me off or welcomed me back over 20 times. The attendant is usually very happy to be a part of it "You rode all the way from THERE to HERE?!?! In HOW long?!?!".

My town has a group of very committed IBA riders and we will often get up in the wee small hours and wander down to the pumps just to have a pre-or-post ride chat and act as witnesses. That also goes for IBA riders in far flung towns. Many, many big and small IBA rides in Oz can end up with mini IBA meet-ups in the middle of the night. Maybe a couple of Vancouver riders may drop by after reading this thread?

Other random riders (customers) at gas stations are also good witnesses I think.

The witness does not have to be the same person at the beginning as at the end. Many rides are A to B, rather than A to B to A, so the ride ends in a different town.

PS I just noticed your route. I rode much of that - Vancouver to Golden, then continued south through Fort Steele back into the US during the 2013 IBR (not that I gained many points - doh!). Great roads though.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I find people, especially LEO type people, a lot more comfortable with the word "verify" instead of "witness"... For example: "I am going to be taking part in a timed motorcycle ride. I need someone to verify what time I was here and the mileage on my odometer at that time. Is that something you can do for me?" Making the arrangements in advance can help reduce the stress level. Even though the odometer verification SHOULD be done off the clock, waiting until you are ready to roll before trying to find someone can eat deep into your "I'm wide awake" time.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
In response to a number of questions:

Both the start and end witnesses need not be where you obtain your start and end receipts (your official start/end times and locations), but they should be within a reasonable time and distance from the station. What does that mean? Well, certainly within 30 miles. In terms of time, we will accept a witness signature the afternoon/evening before an 0-dark-thirty start. Similarly, one can wait until later the the morning to from a late-night fininsh to obtain an ending witness signature.

No, the witness need not be the same person - in fact, that would be difficult for rides where the start and end were 1,000 miles apart.

In most cases, the witness can be anyone who is willing to respond to a letter from us. We dropped the requirement for a badged officer to witness some time age and, in fact, for Premier members there is a documentation method that eliminates completely the need for witness. In practical terms, we usually only attempt to contact your witness if there is some problem. So chances are they will never hear from us. All they have to do is fill out the witness form.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Scott Parish

Premier Member
I will second what OX said. I have used gas station attendants and other customers (for BBGs which require two witnesses) without any issues. Take a few minutes explaining what you are doing and require. I have not met an individual yet that refused. They are usually all very interested - just have the form already filled out: date, time, mileage etc. so all they need to do is verify the information you entered with a quick check of the ODO, sign and enter address. Once you get the first ride done and certified - you can update your membership as Ira indicated. Good documentation on your part will prevent the Cert Team from having to contact your witnesses. Good luck - looking forward to the RR.

Thanks for the tips and clarification everyone! :D
Tho I am now facing a bigger problem. Sleep!
I am supposed to be doing the Ironbutt tomorrow but I couldn't get a single hour of sleep the entire night and now here I am. Good thing I have the weekend off but the mental aspect of it is just oof~

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Tho I am now facing a bigger problem. Sleep!
I am supposed to be doing the Ironbutt tomorrow but I couldn't get a single hour of sleep the entire night and now here I am. Good thing I have the weekend off but the mental aspect of it is just oof~
Ha ha ha... Gee "none" of us has ever had that problem before a ride. (rolls eyes). :)

After you've done a few it becomes less of an issue, but at least for me it's still something I have to contend with. I won't go sleepless any more, but I don't always get the full night's rest I should. But since it's just a SS I'll usually stop around sunrise and nap for a bit and then I'm good for the rest of the ride.

Ha ha ha... Gee "none" of us has ever had that problem before a ride. (rolls eyes). :)

After you've done a few it becomes less of an issue, but at least for me it's still something I have to contend with. I won't go sleepless any more, but I don't always get the full night's rest I should. But since it's just a SS I'll usually stop around sunrise and nap for a bit and then I'm good for the rest of the ride.
I DID IT!
Though ultimately the route I took was a little different.
There were so many times during the trip I was going "this is stupid! Why did you even sign up for this? What do you have to prove? This isn't your domain! Go home! Throw in the towel."
That nagging voice is always there but I DID it. I was trembling in the cold. Sweating in the heat. Struggling to stay alert in dangerous Vancouver traffic but i DID IT! My witnesses were calling me nutty tho lol. I have car tyres for wheels now. Very character building this. That willpower. Well crap... I've become my dad.
Return.jpg

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
Good job CB! If you're anything like the rest of us, once you get past that "ok, I did it" mentality, you'll start thinking just like Chris... "what's next?".

Welcome to the addiction.

Don't forget, Thursday is the summer soltice and you can do a themed ride on that day.

Good job CB! If you're anything like the rest of us, once you get past that "ok, I did it" mentality, you'll start thinking just like Chris... "what's next?".

Welcome to the addiction.

Don't forget, Thursday is the summer soltice and you can do a themed ride on that day.
Indeed I am!
Though I think I've pretty much went the furthest in a day my 300 can go. For 22hrs all I did was liquids for me and my bike, no rest-stops, averaging at around 70-80/kmh overall since above 120kmh, I wouldn't be able to make 200km+ on a fulltank.
The hardware limitation is starting to set in. On the upside, if I do trade for a touring bike, ANNNYTHING would be comfortable compared to this lol. Canada's insurance laws tho. Yikes~ a R6 supersport gets charged the same insurance as a Yamaha V-star 650 or something to that degree.
Currently looking at craigslist and autotrader for sub-400cc bikes that's more comfortable but mannnn~ so little options before the next adventure. Maybe a BunBurner Gold! Probably not on a 300 tho lol