Live bonus claiming using email

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Sorry for hijack Bob...But
didn't want to start a new thread but it seems to me that we Brits are the most active members in the world, which astounds me for our weather and size of Island...just saying...Australia not far behind, but heck look at the size of their country...or do we just talk a lot of shyte?

1577723867040.png

GSears

Dambuster... Bouncing panniers...
Premier Member
IBA Member
We do get some input from the colonies and rebels. Obviously their forums aren't as stimulating.

During the Jorvik Rally, I was in and out at bonuses while others stared at their phones, I did it longhand at the finishing table (much to Graeme's discontent)
As ever, preparation would help here Kim... As the Jorvik (and BBL) give plenty of advance route planning time we should know pretty much exactly where we are going to be going on the day - in advance of the Jorvik I made draft emails for all my planned stops, with the correct details in the subject line (including an estimated odo reading)

So it was simply:
Take picture
Attach to the right draft email
Tweak odo on email if needed
Put the Rally email address in the To Field (again, the Rally Contact was pre-named so that it would be first to appear as I type)
Click Send

Probably took about the same amount of time as taking a picture on a camera and making a note of time and odo, but then I didn't have to arrive back at Rally HQ in time to write it all down in a list.

:)

If it's in the [Sent] folder, it's sent. If it's in the [Outbox], it's waiting for signal. If it's in [Drafts], the [Send] button wasn't hit. A quick check before check-in at the end of the rally (or each day for multi-day rallies) will ensure that everything that should have been sent has actually been sent.
My only issue with that is that I have had situations (not on a Rally, yet) where an email is in my Sent Folder, but not received by the recipient, obviously a security or spam filter has pocketed it somewhere.

Replying 'received' when the email is processed by the Rallymaster seems entirely reasonable to me, though entrants would need to understand that there may be a time-delay between the email being sent and viewed by the Rallymaster.

As to whether a competitor would want to know back if it was ok ot there was a problem with the submission, I'm not sure... what do you lot think?

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
As ever, preparation would help here Kim... As the Jorvik (and BBL) give plenty of advance route planning time we should know pretty much exactly where we are going to be going on the day - in advance of the Jorvik I made draft emails for all my planned stops, with the correct details in the subject line (including an estimated odo reading)

So it was simply:
Take picture
Attach to the right draft email
Tweak odo on email if needed
Put the Rally email address in the To Field (again, the Rally Contact was pre-named so that it would be first to appear as I type)
Click Send

Probably took about the same amount of time as taking a picture on a camera and making a note of time and odo, but then I didn't have to arrive back at Rally HQ in time to write it all down in a list.

:)
Thanks Lee, never thought of drafting emails in preparation, I will try that, thanks again.

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Moved to this thread as I didn't want to hi-jack the BBL thread.

Good to see your scepticism is being healthily maintained.
I just find it interesting that the reason espoused for email submission was that human involvement would be cut to a minimum. I was also informed this would be achieved most efficiently by using email as apposed to other methods of submission.

As the information is being cut and pasted from an email header it could equally be cut from the descriptive line attached to a photo in an instant messenger (of the organisers choice).

Software designed from the start to be used on a mobile device. Not a system adapted from one designed for use in an office.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Software designed from the start to be used on a mobile device. Not a system adapted from one designed for use in an office.
Gordon, you really need to get used to the idea that your understanding of the issues relating to this is greatly flawed. The quoted statement unfortunately suggests that your understanding of software development is also greatly flawed.

Time to stop arguing from a position of ignorance. I appreciate that you don't approve of the way things are being done but sniping from the sidelines isn't helping anyone or anything.

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
I just know which system is easier to use. Point click and add a line of text.

On a rally in the cold or extreme heat that's how simple I would like it to be. It can be.

Speaking as a rallyist........

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
[QUOTE="GSears, post: 63473, member: 299"Speaking as a rallyist........[/QUOTE]

But you're not Gordon.

While some have been developing and participating in world-class rallies (and not just IBAUK) you have been sitting on the sidelines having swapped being a rallyist for being whinger. If you'd like to actually participate in a rally, your complaints might make sense but you don't, you just stick with the same tired old moans that you've practised for the last 18 months.

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Point click and add a line of text.
Gordon: Everyone who entered the rally yesterday received this guidance on how to submit a bonus claim.

How to claim a bonus on a smartphone using the “Share” method

1: Take a photo, making sure that all bonus requirements have been met (Rally flag included, etc).

2: View the photo, then press the ‘Share’ button located at the bottom left of the screen.

3: Select and press the application that you want to use, ie. Gmail.

4: Select who you wish to send the email to, during the rally it will be [email protected]

5: Enter in the Subject Line the data that you have been asked to provide, ie 04 22 34512 2012 (Rally number, Bonus number, Odometer reading, Time)

6: Press Send

Your bonus has now been claimed and it will arrive at Rally HQ to be judged.

How far short of your preferred method do you think that it is?

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
Steve, thank you for a succinct explanation on how to send a photo efficiently via email.
I am enlightened.
Rather than the write an email, find and attach the photo, put the details in the subject line.......
All it took.

It will do nicely. I may even consider.......
But then again......

Once again thank you for the polite, understanding explanation and sharing of the guidance provided in the BBL.
Every day is a school day.

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Interesting, you chose to be sarcastic rather than answer my question.

This thread does however confirm that you have moved from defending the digital camera, pen & paper, arguing the toss at a scoring table, school of thought to something that does involve the use of the devils' apparatus, so progress, sort of.

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
I am genuinely appreciative of YOUR advice and the sharing of the rally guidance.

I did not mean to cause you offence.

EDIT However, I have never argued the toss at a scoring table and have never advocated it.

Last edited:

GSears

Premier Member
IBA Member
[QUOTE="GSears, post: 63473, member: 299"Speaking as a rallyist........
But you're not Gordon.

While some have been developing and participating in world-class rallies (and not just IBAUK) you have been sitting on the sidelines having swapped being a rallyist for being whinger. If you'd like to actually participate in a rally, your complaints might make sense but you don't, you just stick with the same tired old moans that you've practised for the last 18 months.[/QUOTE]

Really, Retired. Whatever gave you that idea?

ET2020 postponed, ET2021 cancelled.

Possibly the information on the IBAUK website

1626793652406.png
Unfortunately this is not up to date. However, as the Webmaster I would not expect you to know that.

Quill4

Brit Butt Rallymaster
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Gordon: Out of interest, how many rallies have you taken part in where you have used the EBC scoring method?

FazerPhil

President IBA UK
Staff member
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
On the BBL I used a diiferent set of moves to send pics
1 Before rally set up drafts of all the claims with Number and Bonus in title.
In text I put a reminder of bike/self in pic. I started with last claim and worked up to 1st.
2 At bonus take pic
3 Open draft email ( it was always the top one) If not the previous one was not sent.
4 Attach pic and check
5 Add odo and time into heading
6 Hit send

But then everyone one will find effeciencies to suit them.
Ultimately any system will be more effecient with practice.