Local Rides

As a local resident to Greenville, I have lots of short half day rides that go up into the hills of SC and NC, maybe even TN if you stretch it. If some you are going to be around over the weekend through the rally blast off on Monday, I can post up some half day or slightly longer rides.

Here are several rides that are basically 1/2 day rides and don't get very far into NC and not at all into TN (you can wing it if ya want to get into TN).
Caesar's Head - BRP 179 mi
A nice ride up to the top of the Blue Ridge Escarpment overlooking Greenville. Continue on US 276 through Brevard, NC and then up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hang a left and come back down to NC 215 and south to US 64 and US 178. South of Rosman hang a left on East Fork Road and take a little ramble back over to US 276. Up over the hill and back to Greenville.

Lake Lure-Chimeny Rock State Park 154 mi
Meander north up US 25 and head toward Saluda. A little side excursion takes you to Poinsett Bridge, one of the oldest bridges in SC or the south east. Go through Saluda, crossing I-26 and take Green River Cove north. Lots of down hill switchbacks. fun fun Eventually you will end up in Lake Lure - can you say Dirty Dancing? A lot of that movie was filmed here. Head west out of Lake Lure to Chimney Rock State Park. An awesome view from waaay up on the rock. Head back south out of Lake Lure, eventually taking Holbert Cave Road back to Saluda. Going east on US 176 you will go down a series of nice down hill curves. Just over to the west of this area is the Saluda Grade, a now inactive rail road grade that, when active, was the steepest grade in the US. Come down in Landrum, SC, south on SC 14 and go west on SC 11, the Foothills Parkway. Eventually you will hit US 25 and go south into Greenville.

Sassafras Mt. - Caesar's Head 131 mi
Heading north again and then across SC 288, cut north on US 178. Take the turn off to Sassafras Mountain, the highest point in SC. A new observation area that recently opened this April sits on the SC/NC border. Head back out to US 178, go north to East Fork Road just south of Rosman and cut across to US 276. This will take you back to Caeser's Head and back south into Greenville.

Sassafras Mt - Charleys Creek Road 166 mi
Same as the above route to Sassafras Mt. and north through Rosman, NC. Head up NC 215 and west on Charley Creek Road. Head south on SC 281 to US 64, east back to US 178 through Rosman, NC and behond. Head east on SC 288 and south toward Greenville.

Skyuka Mountain 96 mi
If you want really sharp switchbacks, this one is for you. Heading north toward US 25 and then toward Saluda, you have the Poinsett Bridge side trip. Back up toward Saluda, east on the twisty downhill segment of US 176 and into Tryon. Going north out of Tryon, head up Skyuka Mountain road. Get those neck muscles limbered up now. A nice overlook at the top and then back down into Tryon, east on US 176 into Landrum, SC. South on SC 14, west on SC 11 to US 25 and back down into Greenville.

Kings Mountain - Cowpens 218 mi
This ride, while in the upstate is fairly flat, as it doesn't get close to the Blue Ridge Escarpment. It meanders south down the interstate, then east and north to the Kings Mountain National Military Park and the Cowpens National Battlefield. These two battle fields were key battles in the Revolutionary War. This route does have some chunks of interstate, sorry.

All the routes are gpx files and have enough via points to keep the route on track. But of course, your mapping program and GPS may send you to TN or beyond.!!

So it seems I cannot attach gpx files, sorry. If you want these routes, please send me a note to [email protected] and I can send them. Or maybe someone can help me on attaching a gpx file. thanks

JD Smith

Here are several rides that are basically 1/2 day rides and don't get very far into NC and not at all into TN (you can wing it if ya want to get into TN).
Caesar's Head - BRP 179 mi
A nice ride up to the top of the Blue Ridge Escarpment overlooking Greenville. Continue on US 276 through Brevard, NC and then up to the Blue Ridge Parkway. Hang a left and come back down to NC 215 and south to US 64 and US 178. South of Rosman hang a left on East Fork Road and take a little ramble back over to US 276. Up over the hill and back to Greenville.

Lake Lure-Chimeny Rock State Park 154 mi
Meander north up US 25 and head toward Saluda. A little side excursion takes you to Poinsett Bridge, one of the oldest bridges in SC or the south east. Go through Saluda, crossing I-26 and take Green River Cove north. Lots of down hill switchbacks. fun fun Eventually you will end up in Lake Lure - can you say Dirty Dancing? A lot of that movie was filmed here. Head west out of Lake Lure to Chimney Rock State Park. An awesome view from waaay up on the rock. Head back south out of Lake Lure, eventually taking Holbert Cave Road back to Saluda. Going east on US 176 you will go down a series of nice down hill curves. Just over to the west of this area is the Saluda Grade, a now inactive rail road grade that, when active, was the steepest grade in the US. Come down in Landrum, SC, south on SC 14 and go west on SC 11, the Foothills Parkway. Eventually you will hit US 25 and go south into Greenville.

Sassafras Mt. - Caesar's Head 131 mi
Heading north again and then across SC 288, cut north on US 178. Take the turn off to Sassafras Mountain, the highest point in SC. A new observation area that recently opened this April sits on the SC/NC border. Head back out to US 178, go north to East Fork Road just south of Rosman and cut across to US 276. This will take you back to Caeser's Head and back south into Greenville.

Sassafras Mt - Charleys Creek Road 166 mi
Same as the above route to Sassafras Mt. and north through Rosman, NC. Head up NC 215 and west on Charley Creek Road. Head south on SC 281 to US 64, east back to US 178 through Rosman, NC and behond. Head east on SC 288 and south toward Greenville.

Skyuka Mountain 96 mi
If you want really sharp switchbacks, this one is for you. Heading north toward US 25 and then toward Saluda, you have the Poinsett Bridge side trip. Back up toward Saluda, east on the twisty downhill segment of US 176 and into Tryon. Going north out of Tryon, head up Skyuka Mountain road. Get those neck muscles limbered up now. A nice overlook at the top and then back down into Tryon, east on US 176 into Landrum, SC. South on SC 14, west on SC 11 to US 25 and back down into Greenville.

Kings Mountain - Cowpens 218 mi
This ride, while in the upstate is fairly flat, as it doesn't get close to the Blue Ridge Escarpment. It meanders south down the interstate, then east and north to the Kings Mountain National Military Park and the Cowpens National Battlefield. These two battle fields were key battles in the Revolutionary War. This route does have some chunks of interstate, sorry.

All the routes are gpx files and have enough via points to keep the route on track. But of course, your mapping program and GPS may send you to TN or beyond.!!

So it seems I cannot attach gpx files, sorry. If you want these routes, please send me a note to [email protected] and I can send them. Or maybe someone can help me on attaching a gpx file. thanks
Store the gpx in your G Drive or cloud based drive and then use the link fuction to create a hyperlink to the Drive

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Considering the run over for the finish. Obviously I'll be staying who knows where but if I can make it work, I'll be there to schmooze a little. Having some places to visit while there just makes it better. Thanks