Long Distance Endurance Motorcycling - 48 State Challenge!

HACKLE

Your commitment to detailing your days is commendable. Your rewards will come in paper form.........IBA Certification. Finally, congratulations.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Your commitment to detailing your days is commendable. Your rewards will come in paper form.........IBA Certification. Finally, congratulations.
Well...I had a lot of help. Those ~16,000 images taken with the GoPro - along with a good GPS track file - was able to help me remember where I was in the entire journey.

So, ~15,800 images were NOT used in the ride report, simply because it was just another series of photos that got me to the part of the story that was worth mentioning.

It's a whole lot easier to come up with a photo caption, while letting the photo help tell the story at that moment than it is to come up with a few sentences.

Sometimes, like on the trip home, you need both. :D

I'm glad it was enjoyed - I had fun re-living the ride while doing that.

Well...I had a lot of help. Those ~16,000 images taken with the GoPro - along with a good GPS track file - was able to help me remember where I was in the entire journey.

So, ~15,800 images were NOT used in the ride report, simply because it was just another series of photos that got me to the part of the story that was worth mentioning.

It's a whole lot easier to come up with a photo caption, while letting the photo help tell the story at that moment than it is to come up with a few sentences.

Sometimes, like on the trip home, you need both. :D

I'm glad it was enjoyed - I had fun re-living the ride while doing that.

Math time.

16,000 frames lasting .25 seconds each would give us 4000 seconds of video. Which translates to 66.667 minutes to watch a time lapse of over 8 days. It would probably look a bit like the keystone cops. What do you think?

-Mark

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Math time.

16,000 frames lasting .25 seconds each would give us 4000 seconds of video. Which translates to 66.667 minutes to watch a time lapse of over 8 days. It would probably look a bit like the keystone cops. What do you think?

-Mark
Four frames a minute - naah, there'd be people gouging out the eyeballs after a few minutes of that! Way too slow

50mSec (0.05) - which turns into 20 frames per second. 40mSec (0.04) is ~24 frames per second - common frame rate for animation and old-school film cameras. I used one of those two settings when I made this; I don't recall which one it was.

Eight minutes was almost too much.

Last edited:

mcrigid

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A second camera is positioned on the left-side aux light bracket. The GoPro is set up to take an image every 30 seconds. What am I going to do with over 19,000 images? I'll show you a few of them that will enhance the story - I hope.
Hi Ken,
Mounting the Go Pro to record the trip is an excellent idea.

Was wondering what model you were you using and what the battery life was, taking a photo every 30 seconds.

I have an older Hero 3 that I plan to mount on the fairing of my HD Ultra Limited. I'm currently testing the battery life in a stationary position.
Not a big deal to change the battery after several gas/rest stops but to change after every one or two stops would definitely eat up more time.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
GoPro Hero Session (the cube-shaped model).

Battery life? I plugged it into a USB charge port...I never worried about that.

I did lose the last day of images - I think the USB charge port (or the cord I was using) crapped out on me. I've yet to disassemble the bike to fully isolate that. Yes, the camera door does have to be open in this configuration, as you see in the image.

The way the camera is mounted on my aux light bracket meant the screen that shows how the camera is functioning is facing the ground. 7200 miles out of a 7600 mile ride? Not too shabby.

Yes, the camera worked for another couple of days' after this!

mcrigid

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks for the quick reply Ken. Yes, not too shabby at all. I really enjoy reading your contributions to the forum. Guess I'll have to upgrade to a new model.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
The problem with the Hero Session models is when you take video, the build of the camera (especially when used on a motorcycle) gives unusable audio, and it's a very well-known design flaw of the camera.

There are some YouTube videos that explains the phenomena and hacks to minimise the issue as best that it's possible.

Last edited:

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
From a coment earlier in this thread...a bit of an update:

Math time.

-Mark
I'm working on a SS4000 (gah!) video for YouTube, but the math for those attempting to figure this out...

Recording capture rate is 2 photos per minute (120 per hour) while I'm riding - or not screwing up getting the damn camera turned on properly. A couple of d'oh moments!

One second of video is created from ~4m 48s (before my final video file is generated, I slow everything down 20%) of video.

The final ratio is 1 / 288 - a second of video is 288 seconds of life.

Traveling at 65MPH, that second of video above ends up being roughly 5.2 miles.

Cramming 4 days of riding into a less than ten minute long video is a challenge.

Fortunately, the speed controls on YT can help with timing as well.

Last edited:
From a coment earlier in this thread...a bit of an update:

I'm working on a SS4000 (gah!) video for YouTube, but the math for those attempting to figure this out...

Recording capture rate is 2 photos per minute (120 per hour) while I'm riding - or not screwing up getting the damn camera turned on properly. A couple of d'oh moments!

One second of video is created from ~4m 48s (before my final video file is generated, I slow everything down 20%) of video.

The final ratio is 1 / 288 - a second of video is 288 seconds of life.

Traveling at 65MPH, that second of video above ends up being roughly 5.2 miles.

Cramming 4 days of riding into a less than ten minute long video is a challenge.

Fortunately, the speed controls on YT can help with timing as well.

Watched it this evening. Thanks for sharing the snapshot of your ride.

-Mark

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I think I'd only seen a couple of YT videos on LD rides greater in length or duration than a 50CC over the last several years, which is what made me put my first videos together nearly two years ago. Since you can't replace a YT video directly, I've recently updated those original videos by putting captions on the videos for locations - for those that might be interested.

It's just so difficult to try and share the experience of a multi-day ride of this magnitude, beyond the written RR I did. Now, for most readin' this thread...y'all get it. The challenge is to NOT bore someone to tears, but share what's flying by, as you accomplish rides of these types of magnitudes. Really, only LD riders 'get it' - yet, there's still entertainment that is wanted.

In a couple of days, I'll have the rest of the 48 State Challenge (well, most of it...) that I captured as a video on YT as well. It'll be linked in this thread.