Long Ride but no record!

Met a friend in Denver to hookup for 8 days riding in southern Utah. At ride's end I left Denver at 7am on a Saturday morning to head back home to Richmond VA. Just never felt like stopping except for gas of course and I got back to Richmond and home at about 10am Sunday; 1,669 miles in 27 hours and a good safe ride it was averaging about 62MPH. (actually drove faster both this included gas stops). Anybody share a story of a long ride?

Wow! I am impressed by what you accomplished and enjoyed reading about how you planned and executed the plan, fantastic and inspiring.
The idea of custom tanks to increase time between gas stops is simple but I never thought of that, I just stop every 180 miles or so and gas up.
I have been thinking about a coat-to-coast personal challenge, not to compete just do my best. Now I have a lot of good ideas thanks to you.
Keep having fun, doing what you like and ride safe, God bless. John

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Welcome John.

That's actually the 50CC route Rob Lentini and I rode in Oct 2000 Greg. Being the limited geniuses we were, we rode it in some pretty crummy weather...;)

Do not know what "50cc" route means, please explain. Like all of us, riding in bad weather is just part of the deal and how you handle it is about positive thinking. I rode Virginia to Montreal once, raining all the way. I kept thinking, in my wetsuit, dry as a bone, not at my desk and going to a fun city; what could be better (a warm sunny day perhaps? :) John

SteveAikens

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
A 50CC is an Iron Butt Association certified ride.

50 = hours [or under] to complete the ride.
CC = Cross Country.

In the US, that's starting at the East or West Coast and reaching the opposite coast in under 50 hours.

Hit Me - I'm A Link.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Do not know what "50cc" route means, please explain. Like all of us, riding in bad weather is just part of the deal and how you handle it is about positive thinking. I rode Virginia to Montreal once, raining all the way. I kept thinking, in my wetsuit, dry as a bone, not at my desk and going to a fun city; what could be better (a warm sunny day perhaps? :) John
That's the spirit! I've also learned that no matter what the weather is doing that is making me miserable, wishing for it to be cooler/hotter/drier/wetter will only cause the weather gods to OVER COMPENSATE and then I'll really be wishing for different weather :D

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Met a friend in Denver to hookup for 8 days riding in southern Utah. At ride's end I left Denver at 7am on a Saturday morning to head back home to Richmond VA. Just never felt like stopping except for gas of course and I got back to Richmond and home at about 10am Sunday; 1,669 miles in 27 hours and a good safe ride it was averaging about 62MPH. (actually drove faster both this included gas stops). Anybody share a story of a long ride?
Sounds like my last day of the Iron Butt Rally this year. Amarillo TX to Santa Fe NM to Albuquerque NM to Tuscon AZ to Tempe AZ to the finish in Provo UT, 1500 miles in 29 hours. Lost 5-6 hours due to being flat out exhausted from the prior 10 days of riding and 100 degree heat during the day