Lookin' for gloves in all the wrong places

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I could use a recommendation.

What I want is a motorcycle glove with the following traits:

* Gore-Tex (or other comparable brands of breathable waterproof barrier)
* Touchscreen capable
* Lighter weight (i.e. not insulated)
* Short gauntlet

Looking at Revzilla, Cycle Gear, Amazon, etc. is a maddening case of option paralysis.

Anyone got a glove to recommend?

Tep_52

Premier Member
I thought I was good with my Alpinestars daystar but today's ride proved otherwise. So I to am now shopping.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
non-insulated goretex gloves are a bit of a unicorn. The closest I've come is Klim. The Adventure GTX Short Glove fits your description.

I've been wearing the Klim Quest Glove Short for several years. Minimal insulation, not touch friendly, absolutely waterproof. The wicking liner can be a pita when/if your hands get wet. Still a bit bulkier than I'd like, but comfortable to wear all day when needed.

Shawn K

Premier Member
Nice looking glove. Too bad it's out of stock everywhere. Even Revzilla, who usually has stuff in stock.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Found a gray pair in the Netherlands and a tan pair in England, but exchange rate and shipping makes them stupid expensive.

(1) pair here in black, large, in stock, but not touch friendly from what I can tell. Different model, the Adventure Short glove $179.99 + $9 shipping.

I've been eyeing these for when the elkskin gauntlets wear out. No goretex - LINK No figure wiper like the Aerostich ones though, so may just buy another pair of Aerostich, going for the Competition Elkskin Roper this time around. (no touchscreen friendly option though. :( The gauntlets have gotten bulkier over the generations. Well, and Klim sucks at sleeves, so may return to the Darien for the next jacket too.

Last edited:
<snip> so may just buy another pair of Aerostich, going for the Competition Elkskin Roper this time around. <snip>
Good luck with that. I've been looking for Aerostich elkskin ropers for 6 months now. Whoever they get them from must be out of business since Aerostich's stock has been at zero for months (I've been checking twice a week since September). I call them from time to time and they have no idea when they might be coming back into stock.

I get frustrated because the non-insulated deerskin ropers I bought last April are, literally, the best gloves, of any kind, I've ever owned. Even without insulation, I can ride them down in the 40's and all the way up into the 100's with no trouble (heated grips help in the cold I'm sure). They seem a bit thin for riding gloves though, but I've been stymied in my attempts to see if the elkskin ones are any thicker.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@Pappy35 - Maybe THIS is worth a shot? The regular Elkskin Ropers are in stock in some sizes, black and natural, but none in stock for the Competition Ropers or the Elkskin Gauntlet gloves. That's got to be hurting Aerostich.

Shawn K

Premier Member
I've been asking Aerostich for over a year now about their gloves (I've asked them maybe six times in the last year and a half). Every time, I get the same response - Covid, supply chain, no one wants to work, supplier short-staffed, should have then back in stock in the next two or three months, etc.

But nothing ever changes.

I genuinely wonder how it is that with all the other things that Aerostich can make, how is it that they can't do gloves??

Seems like a missed opportunity. I've wanted a pair of touchscreen ropers for the last two years, and I'm tired of waiting.

I'm also pretty tired of businesses still blaming everything in the world on Covid. That line first hit the news two years ago next month. At some point, you can't use that All-Purpose Excuse anymore.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've been asking Aerostich for over a year now about their gloves (I've asked them maybe six times in the last year and a half). Every time, I get the same response - Covid, supply chain, no one wants to work, supplier short-staffed, should have then back in stock in the next two or three months, etc.

But nothing ever changes.

I genuinely wonder how it is that with all the other things that Aerostich can make, how is it that they can't do gloves??

Seems like a missed opportunity. I've wanted a pair of touchscreen ropers for the last two years, and I'm tired of waiting.

I'm also pretty tired of businesses still blaming everything in the world on Covid. That line first hit the news two years ago next month. At some point, you can't use that All-Purpose Excuse anymore.
I don't think they make the gloves. Pretty sure they are just rebranded items made by someone else.

Shawn K

Premier Member
You're correct, they do not manufacture them. Which is why I expressed my wonder at why they don't, seeing as how they can make so many other things. Gloves seem like they'd be relatively simple, compared to a $1000+ one-piece riding suit.

Pretty sure they are just rebranded items made by someone else
And if I knew who it was, I'd buy from them.

Sportsterpaul

They don’t make them cause they have trouble getting quality people to run the sewing machines. I’ve known several seamstress over the years and the product they put out has impressive stitching. The pride they take is evident if you scan their work.

Shawn K

Premier Member
I just bought a Darien jacket. I'm well aware of their quality.

Which is kind of my point... they have good people, they have good machinery... why are they outsourcing gloves?

Sportsterpaul

I just bought a Darien jacket. I'm well aware of their quality.

Which is kind of my point... they have good people, they have good machinery... why are they outsourcing gloves?
Good skilled persons are hard to find. Their quality standards are very high which makes hiring people, establishing materials for stock and training become a sizable investment. Given the difficulties of hiring in this day and age,( just look in any business window), and it’s not an easy step to take.

FLHXHS

Premier Member
Not insulated, but I like my Odin Gloves. Canadian Company I just found out...

Have a look - I use my heated grips when needed I guess, but nice and dextrous, with the cool finger / thumb pullbacks to get exposed finger touchscreen-ability...
Then you pull the cover back over your finger & thumb and continue.

These are replacing my Rev'it gauntlets. Harley-Davidson gloves are usually mid-par at premium price...

Auburn

Premier Member
Good luck with that. I've been looking for Aerostich elkskin ropers for 6 months now. Whoever they get them from must be out of business since Aerostich's stock has been at zero for months (I've been checking twice a week since September). I call them from time to time and they have no idea when they might be coming back into stock.

I get frustrated because the non-insulated deerskin ropers I bought last April are, literally, the best gloves, of any kind, I've ever owned. Even without insulation, I can ride them down in the 40's and all the way up into the 100's with no trouble (heated grips help in the cold I'm sure). They seem a bit thin for riding gloves though, but I've been stymied in my attempts to see if the elkskin ones are any thicker.
I asked Aerostich when they would have them in stock again. They said end of this year. Supply chain and shipping issues. I like the elkskin ropers too.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher