Lookin' for gloves in all the wrong places

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I asked Aerostich when they would have them in stock again. They said end of this year. Supply chain and shipping issues. I like the elkskin ropers too.
Seems like every time they're asked, the ETA gets pushed out. I asked them in summer of 2020, they said it'd be 2 to 3 months. Then it was early 2021. Then it was summer of 2021. Then it was Christmas. Now it's the end of 2022.

Being a 24-year veteran of the transportation and logistics industry, I'm getting a bit thin on these constant "supply chain" cries that companies want to glom on to. There's more freight moving than ever before, and carriers all around the country are scrambling to keep pace.

I'm of the opinion that many smaller businesses who cry "supply chain!" are really saying that they can't get their normal items from their normal sources, and can't be bothered to find a new solution.

I still wonder why Aerostich isn't making their own gloves. It's not like they don't have the talent.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I still wonder why Aerostich isn't making their own gloves. It's not like they don't have the talent.
Sewing leather takes different machines than sewing thinner textiles. And if you've never tried to sew glove fingers in reverse, tidy up the seams and then pull them so the outside is on the outside instead of the inside when you sewed them, I can tell you it's a process. Pros likely have equipment to do this. And it's still a hand done process, not a fast automated one.

So tool up to make leather gloves requires: Space, machines, special equipment and the talented people to operate them. I would be looking for someone in the US that manufactures gloves already and getting bids for gloves to my spec long before I'd be tooling up to make them myself if I was Aerostich, but that's a tough hunt too. Not every company that makes gloves is willing to, or has the capacity to, add a new, large line up of products spec'd differently than they already make.

Then there is the time issue. Approach vendor, get samples, share designs, get prototypes made, review/make changes, repeat until the product is what you want, place larger order, wait for delivery, if quality and time is acceptable, re-order, possibly in larger quantity, wait...

I'd love to have an Elkskin Competition Roper with hard knuckle armor. Not really willing to become a glove vendor though. :)

Here are a few companies that I wasn't familiar with for US made leather gloves:

Sullivan Glove They have a motorcycle line, but no knuckle pad/armor or retention except elastic.

Geier Glove Co The mostly make work gloves and some rodeo gloves, but show potential in the quality and seamless options, plus a snap roper and option to add a velcro strap, though nylon, not leather strap. Again, no knuckle guarding. They offer a wide variety of leather options though.

American Heritage/Bear Wallow Glove Co Only work/gardening gloves for made in USA options. A seamless version though, so possibly potential to make moto gloves. They do offer deerskin moto gloves, but they are not made in USA and only elastic retention w/o knuckle armor/padding.

Galeton Just work gloves, but some quality products and a pigskin offering with an adjustable retention strap that could be a starting point for a moto glove.

Midwest Glove A large mfg capable of wholesale production for other companies with a large line of existing products.

JRC Glove Co Some interesting variety of offerings and some moto, but no armor, but padded palm and lots of style options. A little too proud of themselves for being the gloves worn by TV/Movie characters.

Auburn

Premier Member
That might be our winner right there.

I wish they had some capacitive thread sewn in them for touchscreens, but I suppose that's a bridge too far at this point.
I ordered a pair. Should have in a couple of days since they are local to me. I'll let you know how they compar.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You guys do know that Aerostich has regular Elkskin Ropers in stock right now, right? $49. The Competition Ropers are out of stock and the touchscreen short ropers only in Size 11.

Auburn

Premier Member
You guys do know that Aerostich has regular Elkskin Ropers in stock right now, right? $49. The Competition Ropers are out of stock and the touchscreen short ropers only in Size 11.
I don't have mitts for hands. Those won't fit me.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Every time I try to order a pair, it tells me that they're out of stock.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My bad, I missed this bit about not listing them as out of stock in the drop down menu. Andy needs to step up his game.
Notice: Some sizes, colors and models of Elkskin and Deerskin Gloves may be temporarily unavailable in 2021. Back-orders are not being accepted at this time (out of stock sizes are not listed in the drop-down above). Please place your order normally, and if the size/color/model is not available, we’ll let you know within 24 hours. Thank you for your understanding.