Madstad windshields

Vernal

Premier Member
I just bought a 2021 Harley Road Glide Limited. In the past I used LRS Ultra windshields and they worked well.

Now I find Madstad owners are giving great reviews, I can hear the radio so much better or I can ride in the rain and not get wet, no more buffeting...you get the picture :)

I don't ride 2 up so passenger comfort isn't an issue.

I wear an open face 1/2 helmet and just want to keep the air off my face and listen to the radio, keeping dry in a cloudburst would be nice.

If you have experience riding with Madstad, are the reviews I've read accurate?
Thanks
Bill

Rusjel

Premier Member
Hi Vernal, I’ve run a Madstad on my KTM1190, GTR1400 and GL1800. Properly set up they reduce the buffeting and are way quieter than the stock screens.

downside: they achieve this by letting more air past the screen, thus equalising the pressure behind the screen. So on the Goldwing the trade off is you get more water through when it rains because more air is getting through. For me, well worth it.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
I've been running a Madstad on my GL1800 for about 10,000 miles now, and second @Rusjel comments.

Time spent experimenting with setup and windshield angle is critical for best performance. I went through ~10 different variations of base shield height and top shield AOA before I found the combination that provided the maximum lift and minimum turbulence for me, while still being about 1" below my field of vision (about the same height as my nose).

It's not that the Madstad reduces airflow getting to you. In fact, anecdotally it seems to let a little MORE air through to the rider. But what it DOES do is make that airflow much less turbulent. I can ride for hundreds of miles with the face shield or chin bar up and not get that turbulent wind whipping across my eyes all the time. It's much more still, and much quieter as a result.

I consider it well worth the money spent, but if your main goal is to "stay dry in a cloud burst", you're probably not going to be happy with any windshield. In my experience, the only two ways to stay dry in the rain are to stay at home and not ride your motorcycle, or to drive a car instead.

Auburn

Premier Member
Madstad now offers a screen for the 2018+ I put one on my 2021 and just completed the maiden shake down run on the bike. The screen is even better than the one on my 06 wing. I can have the screen almost all the way down and have a clean air pocket behind it.

Here it is taped over a VStream

Screen all the way up. Out in the wild last week on NV 140 at sunrise, middle of nowhere 34 degrees

AirbusFlieger

Madstad now offers a screen for the 2018+ I put one on my 2021 and just completed the maiden shake down run on the bike. The screen is even better than the one on my 06 wing. I can have the screen almost all the way down and have a clean air pocket behind it.

Here it is taped over a VStream

Screen all the way up. Out in the wild last week on NV 140 at sunrise, middle of nowhere 34 degrees
I have to ask, what is going on in that cockpit?

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
On my 2017 UL, early this year, I shifted from a LRS to a Madstad, sole purpose, it's adjustable and the LRS was not. Loved the LRS, worked very well for me, kicked up the rain just enough, no buffeting, out of line of sight, etc. Butt... I really needed the comfort of my Airhawk after 4 years on the stock seat so I'd either need to get a taller LRS since the Airhawk had me setting higher or, get an adjustable windscreen, so I went with the Madstad. No regrets with the Madstad. No buffeting, clears the rain/spray, happy with it. Here's a few photos. Bike is stripped a little in preps for taking it in for it's 180,000 mile service. The Ole' M8 is still clicking along.

Attachments

Auburn

Premier Member
The camera is, the Garmin RV890 is not, but strategic tape over ports and it has not been an issue. They have seen extended Periods of heavy rain with no issues. Since you’re in Seattle we could meet and you can see in person. I’m in Auburn.