Mapping software for specific route planning

FWIW I always use RAM cradles for the 40lm and they will not come out by accident. The larger cradles come with sunshades in some sizes.
Eric,

Did a quick google and amazon search but did not find one with a hood. Do you have a link of where you found yours?

Thanks,

-Mark

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Eric,

Did a quick google and amazon search but did not find one with a hood. Do you have a link of where you found yours?

Thanks,

-Mark
Only my 2792 an dezl 760 had sun shades built into the Ram cradles. There are some clip on ones for the 40LM and 50LM.

LINK LINK2 Not sure if they will work with the cradle. Ram Cradle 40LM - Ram cradle 50LM

The bigger the unit, the longer the moment arm, the more likely you are to have issues with it re-positioning. I use short ram arms and don't have this issue with the 40LM. The 2797 in a Ram mount w/shade needs a longer arm and definitely vibrates more, but once the balls takes a set to the arms, it stays in place with rare exceptions. Trust me, I hit plenty of bumps on the Scooter Cannonball from Bar Harbor, ME to Eureka, CA. Especially in PA and NY. Even snapped my luggage rack off and tossed my topcase down the road, but the GPS was fine. I won't say I never re-adjusted it, but it's not a constant battle.

For the Cannonball I preferred the larger 7" screen. Day to day, I prefer a smaller screen. I'm a visual guy, no voice in the helmet and speaker on mute.

40LM on my XSR700. Note the short ram arm.
DA06D8B2-309E-4B87-B0C3-DC043821D2E5_1_105_c.jpeg
Front view
4A5D47F5-3D96-4CDC-BE94-8116CE905F35_1_105_c.jpeg

2797 on the ADV150 scooter. Note the longer Ram arm.
7C636946-3470-4EE3-9561-4EA92BE10C19_1_105_c.jpeg

Front view.
52A98E4D-7A7C-496C-A72B-46BEAE4AA574_1_105_c.jpeg

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Something to be aware of on auto GPS units. They tend to not like wind blowing into the back and the power supply cords should not be loose as that connector on the GPS is a weak point. Tape or zip tie the cord so minimal stress is applied to the connector.

Only my 2792 an dezl 760 had sun shades built into the Ram cradles. There are some clip on ones for the 40LM and 50LM.

LINK LINK2 Not sure if they will work with the cradle. Ram Cradle 40LM - Ram cradle 50LM

The bigger the unit, the longer the moment arm, the more likely you are to have issues with it re-positioning. I use short ram arms and don't have this issue with the 40LM. The 2797 in a Ram mount w/shade needs a longer arm and definitely vibrates more, but once the balls takes a set to the arms, it stays in place with rare exceptions. Trust me, I hit plenty of bumps on the Scooter Cannonball from Bar Harbor, ME to Eureka, CA. Especially in PA and NY. Even snapped my luggage rack off and tossed my topcase down the road, but the GPS was fine. I won't say I never re-adjusted it, but it's not a constant battle.

For the Cannonball I preferred the larger 7" screen. Day to day, I prefer a smaller screen. I'm a visual guy, no voice in the helmet and speaker on mute.

40LM on my XSR700. Note the short ram arm.
View attachment 11785
Front view
View attachment 11786

2797 on the ADV150 scooter. Note the longer Ram arm.
View attachment 11787

Front view.
View attachment 11788
Thanks Eric,

Forgot about the E

-Mark

Regarding GPS hoods, I've had good luck with the GlareStomper.

I carry DeLorme state-specific atlases as nav backup.

As for GPS units, I've used re-man Garmin nuvis, in RAM cradles, with great success.

I'm playing with a zumo 396 right now.

I finally figured out BaseCamp, but used the google maps add multiple waypoints trick for years now, as I'd write turn-by-turn ride scripts and use the GPS as a rolling roadmap.

Last edited:

Rollin'

Premier Member
I was just working on a route in Google that had 12 locations plus home. Was creating the route plus planning the fuel stops. I created the first 10 stops and then printed the info. Then added the last 2 plus home and printed that info. After I confirm the fuel stops, I'm going to add the stops, in order, as waypoints to my Garmin GPS. I've used this process for the past 31 IBA rides with no issues. No full routes or tracks, just waypoints.
For the 49 states in less than 10 days ride I had 49 waypoints, one for each state, numbered in order and each one (except Alaska) was a truck stop, the waypoints created the route. The full trip, home to home, was 11,907 miles and no missed turns.

49 waypoints -

From the SS2000 Gold ride. Fuel stops in order, also added the exit number. Separate waypoints would let me easily make changes during a ride but never needed to.

Rain coming? Garmin ZUMO don't care.

Last edited:

RobG4

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
If you're set on using Google Maps and it routes you differently than you intend to ride, you'll need to add steering waypoints to your ride as mentioned above. Yes, Google only allows 10 waypoints, but what I used to do with long routes is break them up into Legs. Day one may have 25 steering points, so I would have 3 Legs that day.

From a laptop or on your phone, design your Day 1, Leg 1 route then go to "Share or Embed Map" in Google Maps. Copy the link for Leg 1 and drop it in an email to yourself. Do the same for Legs 2 and 3 for that same day and email all three of them to yourself as Day 1 or Day 2, etc. I've done that a lot when out on vacation rides.

As mentioned above, phones don't like vibration, rain, etc. Get a Quadlock mount with wireless charger and vibration dampener. You'll have to get their case for your phone, but also get one of their ponchos to take care of the rain. That combination will meet 95% of your needs. For extreme heat you may have to stick your phone in your pocket and let it cool down.

Garmin isn't always the holy grail it seems to be.

Russ Black

Premier Member
The 40LM and 50LM really are dirt cheap... I could wreck 10+ and still have saved money over buying the moto-specific Zumo. I'll check out waterproofing for them, but that may be the route I take.

Do they work with BaseCamp still?
Yes, I still use a 40LM in my truck. You can still load the latest maps too. You can only route between two points with one via. I number my points so I knew which is the next one. I actually go two out as my destination and the next one as the via.

Last edited:

Russ Black

Premier Member
Something to be aware of on auto GPS units. They tend to not like wind blowing into the back and the power supply cords should not be loose as that connector on the GPS is a weak point. Tape or zip tie the cord so minimal stress is applied to the connector.
I use a Q-Tip to apply a dollop of silicon sealant at the connection. It not only holds the cable in, it keeps it from moving and help keep the water out. The silicon is not difficult to clean off when your done. I do the ziplock bag method too in inclement weather.