Mexico-Canada-Mexico

okay, so this ride is essentially a loop. Is it permitted to start somewhere in the middle and just provide evidence of completing the entire loop? It would be nice to not have to stay in a TJ hotel to kick this thing off. The route would be identical except the start/stop would be in a different place.

In my specific case it would be Oceanside, Canada, Mexico, Oceanside.

I realize that this has probably been asked and answered. We may do this loop in a couple weeks.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
okay, so this ride is essentially a loop. Is it permitted to start somewhere in the middle and just provide evidence of completing the entire loop? It would be nice to not have to stay in a TJ hotel to kick this thing off. The route would be identical except the start/stop would be in a different place.

In my specific case it would be Oceanside, Canada, Mexico, Oceanside.

I realize that this has probably been asked and answered. We may do this loop in a couple weeks.
Yes, that's acceptable.

It has always been the case that one can start and/or end the ride in the US- there has never been the need to start or end the ride in either Mexico or Canada. So, as another example. one could start in San Ysidro, cross into Mexico and document it, then head up I-5 to Canada, cross into Canada and document it, then cross back into the US and finish the ride in Blaine, WA.

As an aside, although the title of this thread is Mexico-Canada-Mexico (i.e., a Border to Border to Border), the example you give is just Canada-Mexico (a Border to Border). If so, you could cut the ride almost in half by going Oceanside-Mexico-Canada, then taking a more leisurely ride home. No need to do the entire loop "on the clock" - you just need to visit Mexico and Canada on the ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Actually border-border-border is what I am talking about-essentially. If you start in TJ drive to Vancouver, then return to TJ you have a loop that may look like a line. If you start and stop at the same point anywhere on the loop you will have travelled the same distance. So what I describe is exactly the same distance and spend the same amount of time at each point on the path which is why I'm asking. I only hope to avoid having to sleep in a hotel in Mexico near the border but don't want to add a bunch of awake time to what is going to be a long couple of days by driving to border to start. We ride Baja all of the time so the border is no big deal, we're just talking logistics.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
As I said, there is no requirement that you spend the night in TJ and what you suggest is fine.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Someone asked a similar question recently about a 100ccc and the answer was that it wasn't about the mileage, but rather that the bike went from coast to coast and back to the starting coast.

I would assume that the same rule applies here. The ride to and from the starting and ending points are irrelevant. The Mexico-Canada-Mexico only counts if you document Mexico, document Canada, and then document Mexico a second time.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Someone asked a similar question recently about a 100ccc and the answer was that it wasn't about the mileage, but rather that the bike went from coast to coast and back to the starting coast.

I would assume that the same rule applies here. The ride to and from the starting and ending points are irrelevant. The Mexico-Canada-Mexico only counts if you document Mexico, document Canada, and then document Mexico a second time.
And you would be wrong. :)

The 100ccc (and the 50cc for that matter) requires that one start and end on the coasts. There is no such equivalent requirement for the Border to Border (i.e., one is not required to start and end the ride in Mexico and Canada).

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Well, I'll accept being wrong, but I feel confused. Wouldn't a Border-Border-Border ride require one to cross three borders?
No, you're correct - a border to border to border requires you cross borders three times. That's why I said in my first post that what was described is a border to border, not a b2b2b. I think I may have misinterpreted the original poster's question.

I thought he was asking if he needed to start and end the ride in Mexico. The answer is no, you can start and end the ride in the US. If the original poster was asking if because going from Oceanside to Canada to Mexico to Oceanside is the same distance as a b2b2b, then it would count as such, the answer is no - a b2b2b requires three border crossings (i.e., one needs to visit either Mexico or Canada twice). So an Oceanside to Canada to Mexico to Oceanside ride would not be considered a b2b2b. But an Oceanside to Mexico to Canada to Mexico to Oceanside would.

Hope that clears it up.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited: