Mexico entry b2b

RickRussell

Premier Member
I am considering a B2B2B from home in Canada. What costs are involved in a Mexico border crossing? I understand Mexico requires their own insurance, but not sure on other fees on an "in and out" trip.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I am unaware of any fees associated with border crossing, especially for the extremely short time you would be in Mexico. Yes, Mexico doesn't generally recognize US insurance, but it's easy enough to obtain a day's coverage over the Internet. But if all you are doing is driving across the border, obtaining a receipt or taking a photo of your bike on the Mexican side, and driving back into the US, you may decide that you don't need to obtain Mexican insurance.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Mr Rice and I crossed into Mexico and right back across the border last year. There was nothing required to get into Mexico, although we paid something like $4 each (and got a receipt) at the Nuevo Laredo crossing. Passports and a few questions were all that was required to cross back into the US

Is it allowed for the Mexican to Canada run to just walk across, get a receipt and then walk back hop on bike and ride? I want to do this, but I am leery of taking my $30k bike into Mexico. Also, I believe it might be faster to walk get receipt and walk back at a small border crossing just West of Yuma.

Never mind I got my answer. "You must document your ride from Mexico to Canada (you and your motorcycle MUST cross both borders!)" Well there went that plan quickly... lol

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Is it allowed for the Mexican to Canada run to just walk across, get a receipt and then walk back hop on bike and ride? I want to do this, but I am leery of taking my $30k bike into Mexico. Also, I believe it might be faster to walk get receipt and walk back at a small border crossing just West of Yuma.

Never mind I got my answer. "You must document your ride from Mexico to Canada (you and your motorcycle MUST cross both borders!)" Well there went that plan quickly... lol
Absolutely not.

As the rules clearly state:

"You must document your ride from Mexico to Canada (you and your motorcycle MUST cross both borders!)"

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have ridden into Mexico a few times for IBA rides and never had an issue.

I crossed the bridge going into Mexico, never been stopped by the Mexican side turned around headed back to the border paid a Mexico bridge toll ( proof I was in Mexico) rode across the bridge and processed through US Customs.

If you are only riding a short distance in Mexico you do not need the Mexico insurance, my State Farm covers for a few miles into Mexico.

Some border crossings are better than others.

I have crossed at Laredo a few times.