Michelin (Pilot) Road 5 GT

c10

I run the non GT 5's very hard . they perform well in all weather conditions , and life with 207 hp , 116 tq on a heavy throttle is 7000 out of a rear .

This is push mountain Rd 341 AR with 5's mounted up . I have run the 4's in GT , and non GT compounds were the same . The GT was stiff in feel .
Hayabusa PR 5's

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have the new GT version ( ordered from RevZilla ) mounted on my FJR but I only have 500 miles on it so far. I like the tread pattern ( more directional than previous PR tires ) and so far has felt stable.

I hope to put a few more miles on it this coming weekend.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I run the non GT 5's very hard . they perform well in all weather conditions , and life with 207 hp , 116 tq on a heavy throttle is 7000 out of a rear .

This is push mountain Rd 341 AR with 5's mounted up . I have run the 4's in GT , and non GT compounds were the same . The GT was stiff in feel .
Hayabusa PR 5's
There isn't a compound difference between a GT and non GT, the difference is an extra belt that makes the sidewall and overall tire stiffer to accommodate the heavier load of bigger bikes. That's why the ride feels stiffer...because it is.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
I have the non-GT Road 5 on my FJ-09. So far I have about 6500 miles on the front and 3500 miles on the rear. The front is starting to show it's age a bit and probably has ~2-3k miles left. The rear still looks new. I got 10k miles out of the PR4 rear I had previously, and I expect about the same service from the Road 5.

They are excellent sport touring tires in the dry, and I would say the Road 5 is the best rain tire I've ever used. I got caught in a torrential downpour plus hail a few weeks ago on a sweeping road (US-20) in the Oregon coast range. Cars were slowing to 45-50mph due to the heavy rain (Oregonians are terrible drivers and absurdly slow, even in rain) but in a two lane passing zone I had no trouble maintaining 55-60mph to pass them. Road feel was excellent and the traction control never lit up.

Ohmydog

Premier Member
These are the tires I have on my bike and I can say when it comes to rain they are god mode traction. they dont last as long as the comanders do but I have no doubt they will hold a grip in bad weather or extreme cold. I average about 10k rear and I havent had the front long enough to know yet.

SeabeeCapt

Premier Member
Hate them! They scream like a whinning baby in the turns, drove me crazy. Took them off, sound didn't get amy better with miles on them.

On my second pair of Road 5 on a RT1200... I tend to run higher pressures for longetivity but still have ground down the feelers on the pegs comfortably. I do run mostly highway miles however and changed them out at 14K without getting all the way down to the wear bars. Prior to them I had the Road 4, because they both were rated highly for wet roads which is what inspired me to go with them.

HDConvert

Premier Member
8K+ miles so far on the PR5GT front tire on the '18 K16 GTL. Lots of life left and looks like I'll be getting considerably more out of it than the PR4GT. Mostly highway miles and lots of straight roads out here in TX but also includes a track day... and it stuck like glue.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
8K+ miles so far on the PR5GT front tire on the '18 K16 GTL. Lots of life left and looks like I'll be getting considerably more out of it than the PR4GT. Mostly highway miles and lots of straight roads out here in TX but also includes a track day... and it stuck like glue.
What are you running on the rear?

IBA ZX-9R

Hayabusa PR 5's
I enjoyed that very much, whomever that rider was. haha. A bit fast for my taste and for your blue jeans. With knee protection from a riding suit, I'd feel better. Great ride capture though! Love to see that incorporated into an SS1K route.:D

HDConvert

Premier Member
What are you running on the rear?
I've got a PR4GT on the rear right now and I've been very happy with them for all riding conditions. Wanted to try the rear PR5GT, but was in a pinch and that's all I could find in the local area on a short notice. So I'll wear this out and the 5 will be the next one to try out. I'm getting about 8.5-9K out of the rear PR4GTs and hopefully the 5 will get a bit better mileage. Finally got myself a tire changer at the Dallas IMS, so I'll be able to make swaps much more conveniently!

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Those GT tires are a bit tough to change with a No Mar type setup if that's what you got. Especially for someone new to changing. I'd recommend getting some wood clamps, straps and something to get the tire good and hot to help keep the tire in the drop center and ease installation.

I use two wood clamps to pinch the tire, straps to keep the rim from spinning and cheap tire warmers to get the tire warmer than anything else I've tried.

Even then, some tires just suck.

HDConvert

Premier Member
Those GT tires are a bit tough to change with a No Mar type setup if that's what you got. Especially for someone new to changing.
Well yea... that would be me! I got the No Mar "ultimate" package deal after checking out all the options / different machines there at the IMS. The rep went thru everything and we even used their demo to remove / install a tire. Sure... that was probably 'perfect' conditions, but it sure seemed super easy and it's what swayed me to spend the $$. So we shall see sometime soon. Probably got another 3-4k miles before I need to make a swap.

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've owned a No Mar for close to 10 years, it LOOKS easy on YouTube and in person, I even visited the shop on STL but and this is a big BUT, trust me, until you learn the technique perfectly and use shortcuts I mentioned most attempts end in frustration, failure and No Mar machines for sale.

Those GT tires are extra stuff, and when installed on certain rims, like BMW rims with a shallow drop center, well, they aren't the best choice to learn on. Can be done, I've done many on my GT and RT, just challenging.

Don't mean to discourage, once you find your way it's great to have and I'd never go back to paying dealer tire prices and having someone else damage my rims, I've changed well over 100 tires and still it sucks from time to time.

Last edited:

HDConvert

Premier Member
Those GT tires are extra stuff, and when installed on certain rims, like BMW rims with a shallow drop center, well, they aren't the best choice to learn on. Can be done, I've done many on my GT and RT, just challenging.
Success! I'm feeling rather accomplished right about now. I've changed car tires in the past but never bike tires. Watched all the videos and it definitely took some patience and a little effort. I can see how the BMW shallow drop center is a pain. Definitely need an extra spoon or 2. BUT... got the set of tires swapped out no sweat. The balancer is super easy. Done. Did it a couple times just to get some technique figured out.

If anyone ever needs tires around the Ft Worth area... stop on by!