Mileage question - "Each photo must be at least 150 miles from the previous photo"

kyspyder

Premier Member
When the requirements state "*****Each photo must be at least 150 miles from the previous photo****", is this driving mileage or physical mileage?

kyspyder

Premier Member
@Ira would be able to clarify. I'm surprised you can't find locations far enough apart during a SS1k.
I did for Mother's Day, however, there is a festival in my area that has both a Hot Air Balloon Glow as well as fireworks that are put on by one of the best in our area. Both events are at the same park but 2 hours apart timewise, however, if the 150-mile rule applies to driving, I can go out and back, actually a loop and a half for the 155 miles needed to separate the two pictures. The other 900 miles are what I would consider normal. Personally, I would like to get the balloon glow as the balloons in the background as I believe this would create a more challenging picture over buying balloons and tieing them to the motorcycle. 150-155 miles directly from this park puts me in areas without a fireworks display. I know this is all part of the challenge, which is why I asked for clarification. If it is physical then I will have to find an alternative. I posted in hopes that Ira would clarify when he has a chance.

CB650F

Premier Member
I would consider that to be the same location, so definitely less than 150 miles apart for me. Try riding around towns a bit. I bet there's a car dealership with some balloons tied to at least one of their cars. Or one of those party stores, like the one you'd buy balloons from, that has a few Mylar balloons outside. (I bet you can see a car dealership with both a flag and balloons from the interstate.) Or a house with some left over balloons tied to the mailbox for a birthday party a few days earlier. Or a neighboring city that will be doing fireworks for the 4th. Or some kids doing fireworks in the yard.

That feels more in the spirit of the ride to me. It adds a bit of challenge since you are on a small scavenger hunt, and it should make the ride more enjoyable. If you're doing an SS1K, you'll have plenty of time for finding suitable photo options. Make it a fun, memorable ride! Sometimes taking a picture of a kid's coolest 50 cent firework is a better memory than the city's big firework display.

Then again, maybe I'm biased. I'm currently planning a big long ride and extending it a bit both in time and distance cross a few items off my bucket list. Don't let me tell you how to do your ride.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I agree that the intent is to have different locations separated by at least 150 miles, not to just ride a loop over 150 miles to collect the same location again.

kyspyder

Premier Member
I agree that the intent is to have different locations separated by at least 150 miles, not to just ride a loop over 150 miles to collect the same location again.
I agree that the same place is pushing the limit or could be considered pushing the limit, however, I believe clarification is still needed regarding the definition of miles in this scenario. Is it as the crow flies or driven? Although I explained the same location in my answer to EricV, I was looking at a location that was about 95 miles up the road, however, that is why I asked for clarification in general.

CB650F

Premier Member
Yea, I don't think 95 miles will make the cut, even if you take the long way around to get there. I think it's likely 150 miles based on the fastest or shortest route between the two locations. I wouldn't try to make Katy and Baytown more than 100 miles apart by going through Galveston, for example. (All cities in Texas, near Houston.)

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I certainly didn't anticipate the rider's intent to spend the day riding loops to gain the 150miles when I answered.....

kyspyder

Premier Member
I certainly didn't anticipate the rider's intent to spend the day riding loops to gain the 150miles when I answered.....
I had no intentions of riding a loop to complete this ride, although SS1000s and a BBG1500 have recently been completed by looping around a city for the required number of times. The only "loop" if you will, would have be a 80 mile loop to make the 150 mile distance, the rest of the trip was well over 900 miles without a single retrace and even the "loop" was to add the necessary miles.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
When you asked about miles ridden vs as the crow flies I was thinking something like a meandering river road where the wheels roll 150miles distance but the rider is only 100miles displaced from the start.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I've asked Mike what the correct interpretation is, but my take is that one needs to ride at least 150 miles between bonuses. If Mike agrees, then grabbing a bonus in location A, riding 150 miles and grabbing a second bonus in location A would be acceptable.

Ira