Miles please help

Hey so my group is doing the saddlesore this coming Saturday. My odometer quit working and I won’t be able to get it fixed before Saturday! Is the odometer/ speedometer app on my phone acceptable replacement??? Please help

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
So, you have no way to conclusively prove that the motorcycle (and you...) rode 1000+ miles by the use of a functioning odometer as part of the motorcycle.

Even an odometer with an error is better than no odometer - especially if you plan on using the new style of ride logging (photo of receipt and odometer at each stop)

@Ira will be the ultimate arbiter of this query.

Steve Bell

Premier Member
I have to agree with Ken. I would think that an odometer is necessary to prove the bike went the distance as well as your phone. But, I simply defer to Ira on this.

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As Ken said Ira will most likely chime in with sage advice, that said It's up to you to prove you rode the ride. photographic evidence may help if it were me and I couldn't fix the bike I'd zero the odometer your using at the start get a photo that shows your bike and the pump with fuel dispensed visible and a corresponding photo of the receipt and phone odometer. Do the same at each stop. Explain why your outside the norm in your application.

I think I would be more comfortable using a dedicated GPS rather the a phone but each could have issues if you travel with it off.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Chime! :)

Your odo reading is but one piece of documentation. If it's not working, a GPS odo, bicycle odo, or phone odo will have to do. Remember - it's up to you to demonstrate you rode the ride you claim by submitting sufficient documentation to do so.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I think you like giving me the finger, Steve. At least it's one of the good fingers. :)

Ira