motorcycle choice dilema GL1500SE vs K1200LT

Dave28117

Premier Member
so, I have a 2000 GW 1500 SE. It has 55000 miles on the clock. Maintenance has been ok. I'm fixing to tear into the steering head bearings cause I think they are shot based on how it rides and feels. other than that, it's a good bike. A few blemishes and surface rust, but generally I'm happy based on the price I paid. $3500.

My only real complaint is that it is lucky to get 35 mpg, especially at highway speeds of 75+. I'm only getting about 175 miles to a tank of gas and lately have been trying to decide on an aux fuel tank. I really want to get at least 200 miles plus without worry of a fuel shortage.

A friend of mine, who is an excellent mechanic, is having health problems and called me today to ask if I was interested in his K1200LT. He has owned the bike for several years and I know he's gone through the bike with a fine tooth comb fixing anything and everything that's not "right". it's truly ready for a cross country trip. it's just under 50k miles. it's fuel injected and he said his fuel mileage is over 40. with a 6.2 gallon fuel tank, that gives me the range I need.

My wife really likes the rear seat on the GW and it's important that she's happy with the ride. I have a friend who had an 01 model and I know his wife was comfortable, so I don't think that would be a problem.

I'd like some unbiased opinions of these two options. I really like my wing if it wasn't for the fuel mileage. Give me your thoughts.

Schpark

Premier Member
IBA Member
I hear you on the GL1500. I have a 92 GL1500SE with 74K miles and each time a new gold wing model came out I would take the wife to test drive one. Each and every time she said she preferred the 1500 because it is much more comfortable. That's why I still have it in my garage along with the new GSA.

I agree with you on the range and mpg, but with yours being a 2000 you probably don't have the cruise control limit of 75 mph that is my other gripe about it. Yours with 55K is not even broken in yet.

Can't speak to the K1200LT but my advice would be to take the wife for a ride.

Last edited:

igneouss

Premier Member
Does either bike have cruise control?
Comfort and ergonomics matter a lot on LD rides. Probably more than MPG.
Check to see if the LT is in the range of years with iffy final drives.
Otherwise, in my world, either bike has a good reputation.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
Avoid the K1200LT. Having seen what it takes to maintain one (Dad has a shop and has serviced several of them, plus I have two friends who own them), I wouldn't touch them with a 10-foot pole. They're an expensive pain in the arse to do anything on. And I've never personality heard of anyone who thought that it was more comfortable than a Gold Wing.

You get 35 mpg at 75+ mph because you're riding a 900-pound motorcycle that punches a big hole in the air. It is what it is. I have the same issues with my 1800. There's no getting around it. Install a taildragger fuel cell if the range is an issue and ride on.

The aftermarket and OEM parts situation for a GL1500 is *orders of magnitude* better than for a K1200LT.

No doubt the Bavarian Faithful will come in and say differently, but there's no scenario where I would ever feel I'm doing someone justice by recommending a K1200LT over a Gold Wing. In my mind, there's no comparison.

As for the range anxiety, strap a 2-gallon can of gas to the passenger seat, and go for a ride until you actuality run out of gas. Then you'll know exactly what your range is. That's not a criticism, that's a genuine suggestion.

(Also, I don't think there's any such thing as a "unbiased opinion" when it comes to motorcycles.) ;)

Last edited:

rneal55555

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
What ever you do make sure the wife is happy with the choice. At least let her and you together sit on the Beemer. We went from a 99 Yamaha Royal Star Venture to a 2004 Wing, after the RSV the Wing is just ok from the comfort standpoint.

Dave28117

Premier Member
thanks for all the advice from everyone. A few notes related to comments:

my GW cruise control actually works at a GPS indicated 77. However, I know there's a "fix" to allow higher cruising speeds. I plan to do that before my next LD trip. The K12 has cruise control too, so it's "even" in the comparison on that point.

I have a friend who had a K12 and did long trips with his wife (like NC to Wisconsin). They were happy with it. I am assuming ergonomics are similar, but a test ride is certainly a prudent step.

I'm realizing the aftermarket question as I'm researching a bit more. for example, my wife wants arm rests. I'm having a hard time finding them for an older K12. Something to think about....

I've heard of bad things when it comes to maintenance of BMWs and the K12 in particular. My friend's had his starter go out and it was not inexpensive to fix. This particular one has been gone through very well and things such as final drives have been maintained very well. the owner is a very experienced mechanic and I know him from my C10 days. among other things he rebuilds and tunes carbs and has also done flashes for several models of Kawasaki's with FI.

I have a 2 gallon gas can that I plan to strap onto the rear footpeg for stretching longer distances. I'm also looking at a aux tank to provide the additional fuel without stopping. As I'm contemplating this, it occurs that a bike with comparable fuel tank and better mileage would save the hastle of building a rube goldberg solution.

Thanks again. I'm thinking of sticking with the GW at this point but still teetering some. I do love my wing other than the fuel mileage problem.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
My mental calculus would be like this:

If my only real gripe about the Gold Wing is its fuel range, is that a big enough pain point that I'm willing to spend thousands of dollars on a completely different motorcycle? Which may address that one problem, but may introduce others?

You may think of a taildragger fuel cell as a "Rube Goldberg" solution (it isn't), but I think of it as "a heck of a lot cheaper than an entirely different motorcycle".

Plus, there's another question: How bad is the fuel range problem, really? I mean, is it causing you genuine, real world problems, or is it more of a mental thing ("I want to go 200 miles because that's what I want")?

I did a 50CC run last November on my 1800, and at west Texas and desert southwest speeds I was looking for gas at 180 miles. Aside from a range anxiety moment due to my own stupidity, I didn't have any problems.

You may find that the range issue is really more mental than anything else.

One man's opinion. Make whatever decision you feel is best.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Everything BMW is more expensive than everything Honda. LTs were a fine machine and it was a popular LD bike in it's day. But, google exhaust cracking on K1200LT and other issues. LTs were also a high failure rate during their entire existence for FDs.

At the end of the day, if you buy the LT, you'll become a good K1200LT mechanic. Just look at your friend, his knowledge of that bike is high, from 50k of fixing it. Most Japanese bikes have zero failures in 50k.

Russ Black

Premier Member
My IBA riding buddy rides a 2016 BMW R1200GSA with 70K miles on it and I ride a 2002 Honda GL-1800 with 129K miles on it. We both have Aux tanks giving us 11.15 and 11.1 gallons of fuel respectfully. We have ridden together for several thousand miles at a time @ 75+ MPH. We are driving the same road at the same time, going the same speed and sometimes my fuel light comes on before his and sometimes his comes on before mine.

My aux tank is mounted to the passenger seat handles so it will be above the main tank. Fuel flows from the Aux tank to the main take via gravity. If you want/need to have a pillion then a tail dragger is the way to go. They usually mounts to a trailer hitch. I'll yield to others on the aux tank configurations for the BMW.

We just completed a 50CC together and averaged 34.5 MPG.

There is a mod for Fooling the cruise control on a GL1500.

Schpark

Premier Member
IBA Member
Unfortunately I have a 92 so the cruise control mod doesn't work for me. I wasn't sure if the 2000 (the last of the 1500's) had raised it from the factory but if not the mod works on 93 and newer.