Motorcycle Insurance

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I just renewed my insurance and after shopping around I got exactly the same coverage for much less. Progressive wanted $1029 a year for two bikes. no tickets or claims, 07 GL and a 04 FJR. 500CSL, $5000 medical, full coverage on the GL, liability only on the FJR. Safeco Insurance, exact same coverage $325 a year.
If anyone is tired of Progressive.

dmcqueeney

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I just renewed my insurance and after shopping around I got exactly the same coverage for much less. Progressive wanted $1029 a year for two bikes. no tickets or claims, 07 GL and a 04 FJR. 500CSL, $5000 medical, full coverage on the GL, liability only on the FJR. Safeco Insurance, exact same coverage $325 a year.
If anyone is tired of Progressive.
Before my previous renewal, I provided the same personal & vehicle info, and coverage requirements, to several insurers and requested quotes for a 1-year policy for three motorcycles. The results varied greatly.

Personal: DOB 1942; retired; motorcycle license since 1974 (never suspended/revoked); no accidents, violations, or claims in past 3 years; vehicles currently insured; member of AAA, AARP, AMA, BMWMOA, BMWRA, HOG.

Vehicles: 1983 BMW R100RS (fairing & saddlebags), 2002 BMW R1150R (ABS), 2013 BMW R1200R (saddlebags, ABS); all garaged in Los Angeles county; all pleasure usage, no commuting or business usage; estimated 40K annual miles; no theft alarms

Requirements: BI Liability 100K/300K, PD Liability 50K; Comp & Coll ($500 deductible) on 2002 & 2013 vehicles only; no UM, UIM, or Medical.

Discounts requested: Multiple vehicles; ABS; Senior 65+; MSF courses; clean driving record;
and it was probably a negative factor, but no other policies (home, life, auto, umbrella) with the individual insurer.

Quotes received, mostly on-line, some in person:
Insurance Provider $Quote
Markel American $776
Allstate, in person $808
AMA (Nationwide) $893
GEICO $986
HOG (Progressive) $1,145
Progressive $1,145
AAA, in person $1,406
State Farm, in person $1,492
AARP (Foremost) $1,722
McGraw/Pacific $1,767
Dairyland $2,202

I’m sure that quotes for others will vary due to location, vehicles, driving records, but it may be worthwhile to obtain quotes from several well-rated insurers.
... Dave

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Very enlightening Dave. I'm surprised that Allstate is as reasonable as it was for you. My only concern with GEICO is their policies, at least those I have seen, are void if you ride more than 500 miles a day.

And you must have a typo, shouldn't your DOB be 1962? :)

pdbuzz

Premier Member
Very enlightening Dave. I'm surprised that Allstate is as reasonable as it was for you. My only concern with GEICO is their policies, at least those I have seen, are void if you ride more than 500 miles a day...
That's interesting. I'd never heard of that, but I'm with State Farm (bundled with everything else). I'm going to hit up my insurance guy this week on whether there's any 'interesting' clauses like that in my policies.

Nice research Dave.

I have everything with State Farm (except life) and they have been reasonable but not always the least expensive. I am paying a few dollars for the service I get from my agents (California and Colorado).

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My coverage was purchased through a National General agent over the phone. I had requested a quote from N.G and it was worse than Progressive. He also handled Good Sam and Safeco. 2 bikes an 04 FJR, liability only 500CSL, 5000 medical, no UM, UIM. An 07 GL 1800, 500CSL, comp and coll, 5000 medical and no UM, UIM. Total cost $325 per year. I snapped it up after I asked, "Are you sure?"
I have the Ph # if anyone is interested. 314-493-8708. IIRC the agent's name was Tim.

DrNeo

Premier Member
Dave - it may be worth it in just premiums for you to move to a lower risk state :p.

I pay close to what Patrick does for similar coverage on my BMW 95 K75S, 07 R1200RT, and 09 G650GS through Progressive. You guys do have a couple more years of "experience" than I do though.

chfnelson

Premier Member
I have my bike, cars, and house through American Family. Reasonable rates, and great service. Totaled out one Wing, and they settled with me quickly and fairly.

After working for a few years in the property and casualty field for a major company I learned, at least back then, longevity with the company helps when a claim comes up.

I have been insured with State Farm since 1965, first year to drive legally, in two states with only two agents the entire time. I know I am paying too much but they have always treated me more than fair. However, I am considering shopping for cheaper.

I have a Honda VTX and a Yamaha RSV. The liability for the Yamaha is twice what it is for the Honda. No multi motorcycle discount. I did not get a good answer from either the agent or the underwriters as to why. I understand a sport bike liability costing more just as my Corvette does. The only thing I could imagine for the difference is that they assume a touring model, RSV, has more exposure = more miles, than the plain cruiser. In my case, until recently, the VTX has logged the more miles/year at 132,000 since new.

For what it is worth I will not insure with Progressive because of who owns it. That is just me.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Regarding differences in premiums for different style bikes... in 1994 I was looking for insurance for my 1992 K75s. This particular K75s was more RT than s. It had RT bars, a full Pichler fairing, and saddle bags.

(Sure do miss this bike. Last I heard it was headed to New York)

Allstate wanted $1,500 a year for full coverage. When I asked for a quote for the same coverage on a '92 K75RT they told me it would be $500. The reason for the $1,000 difference? In their opinion the RT is a touring bike while the s is a "bullet bike".

Near as I can tell, other than a slightly different gearing and seating position, the s and the RT were pretty much the same bike mechanically.