Mounting a Spot X on my jacket instead of the bike

EddyC

IBA Member
I think it is spelled épaulette (french) or epaulette (english) (both singular) and they are shoulder straps.
I've had them on my uniforms and they are meant to attach the rank symbols to, but I guess the real purpose nowadays can be found in rescue situations. Much more easy to drag, lift or move a body that way...
Greetings from Belgium..
Ed.

WY88

Premier Member
I think it is spelled épaulette (french) or epaulette (english) (both singular) and they are shoulder straps.
I've had them on my uniforms and they are meant to attach the rank symbols to, but I guess the real purpose nowadays can be found in rescue situations. Much more easy to drag, lift or move a body that way...
Greetings from Belgium..
Ed.
We currently have family visiting us (Washington State) from just outside Antwerp Belgium.

keithu

Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Another vote for the arm pocket here. No issues. I do lose a ping once in a while, but that's been true no matter where I mount it. I also like that I can easily look at the Spot X on my forearm while riding to make sure it's still on and tracking. My Spot X has been known to crash periodically and require a reboot.

It’s been a few years ago, that my wife took the Basic Rider Course. At that time they were warning against carrying anything solid (Cell Phones) on your body. Due to deep bruising and bone damage, caused by the phone in a accident.
Both would be better than no help at all. I was just wondering what position on the body. In a hard impact Would lessen the damage done to the body, by the spot unit?

Paul Tong

Heart of Texas Rally; LDX Rally
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It’s been a few years ago, that my wife took the Basic Rider Course. At that time they were warning against carrying anything solid (Cell Phones) on your body. Due to deep bruising and bone damage, caused by the phone in a accident.
Both would be better than no help at all. I was just wondering what position on the body. In a hard impact Would lessen the damage done to the body, by the spot unit?
Ooooooooooo........the Almighty Basic Rider Course Instructors. Who shall ever question their wisdom?

Okay, that's a little harsh. I apologize. I mean, honestly, that's good advice, right? Don't carry around a bunch of your stuff in your pockets because in case of a get-off on your bike, yes, all that bouncing and rolling off the ground, objects can cause some damage. But let's qualify that statement a little.

Being a rider that has had an accident with stuff in his pockets, their argument has merit but I think it's a little over cautious. It's not an invalid statement, just lacking perspective. When I had my accident, I had my cellphone in a leg pocket on my jeans, my wallet in my front right pocket. When I came off the bike, I went down on my left side, my hands still on the handlebars. Thus my left elbow impacted my left ribs. Cracked my ribs. I then rolled many times. How many? I don't remember. Ten times? Five times? Twenty times? A bunch, that's how much. Cell phone screen was shattered but did not cause bruising that I recall. Nor from my wallet.

Now let's say I had a large set of keys in my pocket. Would this have caused some bruising? Possibly. How about puncture wounds? Yes, that could have been possible. Still, in the grand scheme of things, any get-off that could cause things in your pocket to cause additional damage would be causing so many other injuries just from the fall alone that could your really pinpoint something in pocket as the main problem? The most damage I had was from my left elbow and I can't likely leave that at home.

Now let's talk about gear. If you're on this forum, I hope you're more likely to be wearing protective riding hear, including a helmet and gloves. In my case, I was wearing an Aerostich Darien jacket. I still wear it to this day, almost 8 years later. It has a nice little abrasion mark where I struck the pavement, but that's it. Elbow, shoulder, and back armor protected me. The typical rider that the Basic Rider Instructor is talking to is the guy that gets his license, goes right out an buys a Harley, and then rides around that day with a sleeveless leather vest, tennis shoes, and no helmet. Phone is his pocket or not, a get-off means a really, really bad day for him.

If I'm in the middle of nowhere and have an accident and my SPOT is in my pocket, be it chest pocket, arm pocket, or wherever, I may incur some injuries from that device but hoping that said device stays intact, I may very well need it to call emergency care. In that sense, the potential good vastly outweighs the potential bad. If we want to mitigate injuries from an accident, leave the SPOT in your pocket and keep all other items stored elsewhere on the bike but I think we can justify the SPOT.

Some people hard-mount their SPOT. I used to do this because it was easier in some ways. In the end, I attached it to my jacket because if I come off the bike, the chances that my bike and I end up in the same location are less likely. I agree with the jacket arm pocket. It's good. I have my on a carabiner over my left pocket. No issues thus far.

The Basic Riding Course instructor wasn't wrong, his statement was factual, but it's honestly more likely he wanted to say something that sounded profound to a new rider than something that was actually a functional real-world practice. I vote for carrying it on your person in the best place that you can manipulate it, keep track of it, and use it.

My apologies to all riding instructors.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
If I've learned anything from my years of riding, it's that life is a series of compromises.

Like the Spot, for example. I can leave it on the bike and have nothing in my pockets, but in the event of an incident I'll most likely be someplace where the Spot isn't.

It makes more sense to me that I have it on my person and take the risk of some bruising. That way, in the event of an incident, the Spot will most likely arrive at the scene of the accident at the same time as me (unless my chest or arm become detached, in which case I'll have more pressing issues to deal with).

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It's all about how you use the device. I purchased a Spot long ago for rally use. RMs were requiring them, or giving enough points for using one that it made it a part of riding rallies, as much as a digital camera has become. Bonus, it helps the Beautiful Wife remain calmer when I'm on a long solo ride/trip. She can see where I've been, (entertainment for her), where I am when I hit the Ok or Custom buttons, which tells her information about those stopping points. If I don't have cell coverage and she sees my ping for end of day, she knows I'm safe.

For rally riding, I hit a ping, (Ok), at every bonus stop and gas stop. For me, it was easier to have the Spot mounted to the bike to do this and to maintain physical awareness of it's battery condition.

I did not buy the Spot to have an emergency response team hopefully available to come rescue me if I crashed. For my riding needs, if I crash, 99% of the possibilities involve another person. Someone's going to be able to seek help if it's needed. Because I have a SO that knows generally where I was going and how I was going to get there, and has access to my Spotwalla trip covering that ride, even if the Spot is destroyed upon impact, I will nearly always be less than 10 minutes down the road/trail from the last ping. That really narrows the search area down.

I did not buy a Spot to go ride places alone that should have been ridden with others because of the higher risks of get-offs. I did not buy a spot to allow me to do dumb things, because I can push a button and someone will come looking for me.

I bought a spot to give others peace of mind and so they can locate the body when the time comes. If I wanted people to come rescue me in a high risk environment where the real possibility of things going bad, beyond my control and avoidance exists, I'd buy a PLB.

Shawn K

Professional Cat Confuser
Premier Member
@EricV - Solid points all.

The origin story of my Spot was similar. I bought it so that my bride could have some assurance when I'm traveling in areas with shoddy cell service. In her words, "As long as the dot keeps moving, I know you're okay".

Jay Bolinger

Premier Member
@Breezegrove, I did have a conversation along these lines with a rally rider (Void ~2017 maybe, TN or KY start) a few years ago who was an EMT or similar. He chose the smaller Inreach mini device rather than a spot and had it mounted like on his belt in a little pouch. His opinion was that the spot being on an arm or leg would result in a fulcrum for the long bone given a certain impact and increase the chances of breaking that bone. Whereas being on the belt would less likely result in a fulcrum on the pelvis resulting in a break. I thought he had sound logic even-though he is one of us crazies so take that with a grain of salt. Jay
FWIW - I still wear my spot on my arm in a pouch.....with all due respect to both EMTs and rider course instructors. ; )

Marc11

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
At the end of the day, you may or may not be able to reach your Spot on or off your bike and it may or may not cause further harm to your body no matter where it's mounted. Heck, there isn't any guarantee your Spot won't be totally destroyed or even stay attached to you or your bike in a crash. No one can say for sure on any of these points, every person, bike and crash are unique.

My opinion is it's better to be on your person then on the bike. Although I do both, most times it's on my bike and sometimes it's on me, for no logical reason.

I will suggest if you plan to wear it on your body and you're a righty mount it on your left side and if your a lefty then mount it on your right so you have a better chance to reach over with your dominate hand and operate it more easily.

So really one needs to do what they feel most comfortable with, I don't think I'd put one second of thought on whether or not my Spot on my person may cause damage to an arm or hip if it's available to me to call for help as I'm bleeding out...a broken arm or fractured hip is meaningless in a situation where you need to hit the SOS button.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hey, I used to teach the MSF course many many moons ago at the local community college. No cell phones, no tracking devices and keys were in the ignition switch.

EddyC

IBA Member
Bike mounted or body attached, they all have pro's and contra's.
Do what you feel is the most comfortable for you, in your specific situation in time and space.
Of course, sh*t happens and the question "what if.." is a neverending story.
In my opinion and experience, the potential disadvantages of "body-carry" are nothing compared to the potential advantages.
One can never choose the situations or the moments they occur, one can only try to prepare.
In all my years as a LEO-biker I learned one thing: if you don't have your stuff on you, you can't use it.
Determine what you really *need* in case of... and keep it very close.
Stay Safe..
Ed.

m a u r a

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
We currently have family visiting us (Washington State) from just outside Antwerp Belgium.
The tradition of using them to display rank comes from the need to quickly identify rank, I.e. officers, in the heat of battle in order to seek direction. Additionally, when uniforms included swords, they were too heavy to hang from the belt alone, the belt was supported by over-the-shoulder straps. The epaulets kept these shoulder straps, and other straps that might be used for ammo bags or telescopes, from falling down the arm. As a darien owner, I think it would be a great option. They would keep my watercarry pack straps in place. They do fall down. It would also be a good spot location, depending. I always want to be able to see it is working. My forearm location allows me to check it while on the go. The shoulder location, not really possible. But if you are not that worried about checking it, shoulder seems like a good place.
Next, let's talk about 'escutcheons'