Multiple certificates in one ride

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
If a rider does a big ride like a 50cc and they did a BBG during the ride can they turn in both rides, or just the 50cc, and say it's 1000 miles to either start point, can that ride be turned in?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
If a rider does a big ride like a 50cc and they did a BBG during the ride can they turn in both rides, or just the 50cc, and say it's 1000 miles to either start point, can that ride be turned in?
The basic rule is that if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only would issue one certificate. For example, everyone who completes a Bun Burner GOLD has by definition also completed a Saddlesore 1000 and Bun Burner 1500. So we would only issue the BBG cert.

To your question, it boils down to whether one can complete the 50cc without necessarily completing a BBG. And the answer is yes - the average speed to complete the 50cc is lower than that required for a BBG. Just document your location at the 1,500-mile/24-hour mark with a gas receipt (no need for a witness at that point).

The question of doing Saddlesore 1000 rides on the way to the start and on the way home from the finish of the 50cc is an easier question - they are completely separate rides, so no problem there.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

My first SS1000, in 2010, was from Troy, Michigan to North Platte, Nebraska and took over 1000 miles. The next morning I rode over 500 miles to just past Grand Junction, Colorado. I received an SS1000 cert and a BB1500 cert.

The kicker is that only one of the certs can be counted toward any of the Mile Eater certs such as the Mile eater Bronze, Silver, Gold etc.

gramps

rodneyw71

KLR'er
Premier Member
That's what I'm trying to do, I have two ss's and want to get my bronze this yr, so I need one more cert and two gold or 48 or more hr rides, just thought I could kill all those if I did a long ride like a 50cc.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
That's what I'm trying to do, I have two ss's and want to get my bronze this yr, so I need one more cert and two gold or 48 or more hr rides, just thought I could kill all those if I did a long ride like a 50cc.
Grampawinger has it correct.

Take note of the Mile Eater definition:

"Anyone who completes more than one certified ride but NOT on the same ride, for example, your first ride is a SaddleSore 1000 and at a later date, you complete another certified ride, such as a Bun Burner 1500. However, completing a SaddleSore 1000 AND Bun Burner 1500 on the same continuous ride is not eligible for Mile Eater status."

So although what I said earlier is correct as far as awarding certificates is concerned, doing a BBG during a 50cc won't work for a Mile Eater medal award. OTOH, if you did an SS1K on the way to the 50cc start and an SS1K from the 50cc finish to home, that would count as three rides as far as ME status is concerned.

Clear as mud, eh? :)

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Last year did two Tour of Honor States starting with an SS1K Extreme for Arizona and then next day a SS1K Extreme in New Mexico. I got 4 certificates for that ride: SS1K-X x2, BB1500 and SS2K. It doesn't feel very good to get so many certs for one ride but that is what came in the mail. I like the in-state SS1k and wanted the ToH also. This was my first BB1500 and also my first SS2K so at the end I'm happy with the certs.

Question for Ira:
One planned ride is over 2000 mi, 360+ to get to the specific State, 1200 mi in-state SS1K, 600 mi back home, Is it OK to ask for two certificates: (1) SS1k in-state, (2) SS2K ?

What do you guys think/do, OK with more than one cert when covering the same mileage?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Last year did two Tour of Honor States starting with an SS1K Extreme for Arizona and then next day a SS1K Extreme in New Mexico. I got 4 certificates for that ride: SS1K-X x2, BB1500 and SS2K. It doesn't feel very good to get so many certs for one ride but that is what came in the mail. I like the in-state SS1k and wanted the ToH also. This was my first BB1500 and also my first SS2K so at the end I'm happy with the certs.

Question for Ira:
One planned ride is over 2000 mi, 360+ to get to the specific State, 1200 mi in-state SS1K, 600 mi back home, Is it OK to ask for two certificates: (1) SS1k in-state, (2) SS2K ?

What do you guys think/do, OK with more than one cert when covering the same mileage?
Well, as I previously said, if one ride by definition is completed within another, we only want to issue a single certificate. This is the case of BBG. If one completes that ride, one has, by definition completed the SS1K and BB1500. Conversely, one can finish a Bun Burner 1500 without necessarily completing an SS1K (e.g., one completes the first 1,000 miles in 25 hours, but the BB1500 within the 36-hour time limit for that ride). So we don't have a problem issuing both.

In the case to which you refer, one cannot complete an SS2K without completing at least one SS1K. So we would rather not issue both certs for the same ride.

But the whole issue of multiple certs on the same ride comes up from time to time. At one end are folks who I would deem purists and believe in "one ride, one certificate". At the other end are what some refer to as "certificate whores", who are willing to pay for any number of certs on the same ride. We have no official position on the matter, but think it's a bit silly to pay for multiple certs for the same hunk of pavement traveled.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

mkneebone

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff

Question for Ira:

Those are all OK - not everyone that has done a SaddleSore 2000 has done two (or even one) in-state Tour of Honor 1000 rides. The 1500 I have to look at, but it would have been a unique ride too.

Ziggy

Just Another Rider
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
But the whole issue of multiple certs on the same ride comes up from time to time. At one end are folks who I would deem purists and believe in "one ride, one certificate". At the other end are what some refer to as "certificate whores", who are willing to pay for any number of certs on the same ride. We have no official position on the matter, but think it's a bit silly to pay for multiple certs for the same hunk of pavement traveled.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association
Ira,

While I believe "one ride, one certificate" and yes as you put it "certificate whores" are out there, to look at multi certs for a multi-day ride helps document the ride for the stages achieved.
I'm not talking about short 1000 miles a day or slab bashing for day's on end, but rides that have challenges to meet getting to the distance.

Example a rally style ride which every day has to have been 1000 mile + and a main city or town set as a destination for that distance.
Min 5 Day's + or it's not a rally style ride because it's not testing your endurance of multi-day riding.
No Slabs (Motorway riding)
Each stage(s) are then verified as you have met that goal .....

So This example I don't believe warrants a "certificate whore" tag or the fact that some riders are just willing to pay for the paper.

Some rides do have a level of difficulty that verified stages have been met and is an achievement to do.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Ira,

While I believe "one ride, one certificate" and yes as you put it "certificate whores" are out there, to look at multi certs for a multi-day ride helps document the ride for the stages achieved.
I'm not talking about short 1000 miles a day or slab bashing for day's on end, but rides that have challenges to meet getting to the distance.

Example a rally style ride which every day has to have been 1000 mile + and a main city or town set as a destination for that distance.
Min 5 Day's + or it's not a rally style ride because it's not testing your endurance of multi-day riding.
No Slabs (Motorway riding)
Each stage(s) are then verified as you have met that goal .....

So This example I don't believe warrants a "certificate whore" tag or the fact that some riders are just willing to pay for the paper.

Some rides do have a level of difficulty that verified stages have been met and is an achievement to do.
There are always exceptions (although I know of no IBA certificate ride that meets the description of the example ride you provide) and, as I said, we don't have an official position on it. But just to clarify - in your example, what certs would one be applying for? Five SS1K's + SS2K + SS3K + SS4K +SS5K? Just curious.

It wasn't my intent to start an argument - just simply point out that different people have different views on the matter.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited:

JimBurriss

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The only ride I have done where I received two certificates was the 50CC I did in 2014. I received the 50CC and a SS2K certificate.

I understand the allure of earning certificates (they are somewhat addicting) but fall more into the one ride, one cert, camp I believe.

I do see some that would be an exception for me. For example: UCC with a BBG or two imbedded and in the same 30 day period do a 48 plus and a Hyder to Hyder in 2.2 days. Or some other strange combo of rides. I guess I believe that anytime you get a BBG completed it should count, they are not easy.

I'm not sure those could or would be certified if done, but maybe. My opinion only.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
rony6ble said ; in the above post about a SS1K Extreme . Is that 1000 miles in less than 18 hrs?
thanks in advance alton
No. As the description reads on the Tour of Honor Web pages,

"The TOUR OF HONOR SADDLESORE-EXTREME is a 1000-mile ride in 24 hours, visiting all seven (7) of one state's selected memorial sites, OR any seven (7) sites in a region."

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Tour of Honor has two options to combine with IBA, Ira mentioned the extreme. The other option is: The TOUR OF HONOR SADDLESORE is a 1000-mile ride in less than 24 hours, visiting and documenting at least four ToH memorial sites, in any state, during the ride.

Rollin'

Premier Member
I have two extra certs, I don't consider them as "rides" just accomplishments done during a ride.

Completed a SS5000 during the 49/10 and a BBG1500 during the SS2000Gold. They seemed worthy.

I have two extra certs, I don't consider them as "rides" just accomplishments done during a ride.

Completed a SS5000 during the 49/10 and a BBG1500 during the SS2000Gold. They seemed worthy.
Having done the BBG and SS2000 Gold, I agree that some two cert rides are "accomplishments".

I received the SS2000 Gold certificate, but only a SS2000 sticker.

It would be nice if the IBA would make a SS2000 GOLD sticker.

BigDaddy

Premier Member
Here are all my certs. One of the SS1000 certs is a cert I got during a BBG1500. I knew I couldn't use that one towards my Mile Eater Silver, but I still felt like I earned it. Its that considered a Cert Whore, so be it.. ;)

I have added 4 more TOH Certs since this picture.