Must the FIRST IBA submission be via snail-mail? Always?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
There is a *lot* of information that the IBA has available, yet there's times the organization of that data is slightly less than optimum. It's probably relating to the issue I currently have.

A question has arisen on LD discussion thread on another forum. Now, I seemed to recall reading recently that a nOOb (newbie) IBA submission must still be via snail-mail. Any subsequent submissions may take advantage of the 'standard' emailed submission process.

Realizing that it's good public relations to be certain that in any discussion, accurate data is provided to those that are interested, I'd like to be able to point these future members to where they can find this accurate information. Obviously, they're smart and aren't taking my word for it - don't blame 'em!

So - help me find where I read that the initial IBA submission is to take place via snail-mail (at least here in North America)

Thanks!

So - help me find where I read that the initial IBA submission is to take place via snail-mail (at least here in North America)

Thanks!
I submitted my initial IBA ride electronically via email in April 2018 with no issue. I followed the electronic filing link from the SaddleSore 1000 page.

"Have a scanner and want to try ELECTRONIC APPLICATION? Visit: IBA Electronic Electronic Application Guidelines." Which led to:

http://www.ironbutt.com/rideapp/

No where did I see it stated that I had to file my initial (first) ride by way of snail mail. I've subsequently filed a second ride electronically and received certification confirmation in short order, as well.

Oh yeah, this was in North America... Florida.

Last edited:

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
So - help me find where I read that the initial IBA submission is to take place via snail-mail (at least here in North America)Thanks!
You won't find it because there is no such rule. One can use electronic submission for a first certificate ride if desired. The full guidelines are at

http://www.ironbutt.com/rideapp/

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
As already posted on that other site Kwathorn.
Well done for getting that info sorted.
My standard answer to such question from outside the fold has always been consult the ride rules and relevent contact details.
Things change from one year to the next as it should.
Cheers.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Ira:
The question may be in reference to this:

Traditional Documentation Method

This method is available to everyone and for all rides.
This method MUST BE USED by first-time applicants for IBA certification.

I see this from the home page, then our rides, at the bottom - The BIG List, then All-In-State Rides, Documentation see "here" .

Doug

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Though this only refers to required documentation and not method of submission, i.e. Snail mail or electronically.
That is correct - it does not refer to the method of submission.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association