My 2023 Memorial Ride_The Putty Rd & Thunderbolts Way

Martin Little

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
After the 50CC to Darwin I felt the need for some corners and there is nothing like the Putty Rd and Thunderbolts Way to satisfy that need. Friday night, the bike was packed ready for an early start Saturday morning.

The K1600 packed and ready Friday evening

This ride also gave me an opportunity to to revisit a ride I did with my Dad some 25 years ago, on the few times he was able to visit Australia.

Dark O'Clock @ my local servo in Phillip ACT

The ride out from Canberra was starlit and cold! Hardly any traffic around, just me and the stars as we made our way northwards. My heated jacket was on to ward off the freezing cold. At the junction to the Hume, I was no longer alone with wall to wall semi’s making their way to Sydney. It was busy as I made up to the M7 to take the Richmond Rd turnoff, not long afterwards I stopped to fuel bike and rider, a coffee and snack to keep the energy levels up.

I made my way in the pre-dawn darkness to Windsor, where I joined the Putty in the first light of day. It was a rare day where I had the road entirely to myself, with corner after corner blissfully quiet in the early sunlight. I was able to just ride alone at my own pace, reflecting on memories past. I stopped briefly at Garland to remember stopping here 25 years ago with Dad. .

The Putty Rd, just after sunrise. I remembering stopping here with Dad 25 years ago.

25 years ago, as I stopped now and reflected, i could feel the years falling away. That's me in the center in the red jumper, Dad to my left with the sunglasses on.

The NE Highway was also relatively quiet, what a day, I made good time to Guya, where I topped up the aux tank and soaked up the main street ambiance of this town, before point the bike southwards back to Uralla.

My fav dog statue in NSW. Muswellbrook, NSW.

Main Street Guyra, NSW.

Uralla, NSW and Captain Thunderbolt

At Uralla, after taking a photo of Captain Thunderbolt, it was onto Thunderbolts Way heading for home via Gloucester and Newcastle.

I never tire of this photo op, Thunderbolts Way. The serenity was strong and may the road never end.

There as a fair amount of traffic, mainly motorcycles around now, with people out enjoying the open road. I made good time to Gloucester and then Heatherbrae, where I topped up the aux tank and made way southwards to Sydney and home.

I stopped at the new Ampol truck stop at Pheasants Nest, what an improvement over the old one!

Sunset on the Hume. Pheasants Nest NSW Ampol Truck stop

After consuming a burger and milkshake, I donned my heated jacket for the night run down to Canberra, where I rolled into the garage just after 9:00pm.

Back at my local servo, almost home!

Back home with 1,642 Kms for the day.

It was a good day out, the K1600 made the distance feel easy, I could have kept in riding for a few more hours.