My First (qualifying) Ride

Hopey

Only just over 1600 ks but pretty straight forward. But has one of the best roads covered.
Maybe try for Boxing day to get the Santa ride done.

I got Spot tracker, and will start at the Calwell Servo even though I have to travel from Michelago
I was thinking starting at 03:00 to be through Sydney to beat the traffic and get all the corners at lunchtime

Is this ok?
Hopey

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...ea7695a60!2m2!1d149.1120909!2d-35.4352066!3e0

1669963740948.png

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Looks ok.

Boxing Day will be a coin toss. Traffic northbound out of Sydney even starting before dawn can be horrendous on a 'normal' Boxing Day. Hard to know how it will be in the 'new normal'....

The Northconnex tunnel will help you and the section just before and after Hexham bridge will likely be the worst on your way north. The main Oxley Highway roadworks are currently due to finish 16th December so that augurs well for the 26th. Have a great time up there.

The overall average required is under 70km/h over 24 hours so there should be adequate time.

Post up your SPOT link and who knows who may intercept and ride along with you for a while :cool:

Ed.

Premier Member
If i wasn't going to be doing the family Christmas thing I'd be tempted to come in and see you off.

Good luck with it and have fun!

Tele

Premier Member
Best wishes for your challenge Hopey! I hope the weather and traffic gods are on your side throughout the day.

ACTCapo

The freeway certainly helps with the overall average speed, if not the enjoyment levels. Have you given any thought to looping through Tamworth, Scone, Singleton for the return home?

Hopey

Looks ok.

Boxing Day will be a coin toss. Traffic northbound out of Sydney even starting before dawn can be horrendous on a 'normal' Boxing Day. Hard to know how it will be in the 'new normal'....

The Northconnex tunnel will help you and the section just before and after Hexham bridge will likely be the worst on your way north. The main Oxley Highway roadworks are currently due to finish 16th December so that augurs well for the 26th. Have a great time up there.

The overall average required is under 70km/h over 24 hours so there should be adequate time.

Post up your SPOT link and who knows who may intercept and ride along with you for a while :cool:

Thanks OX, noted and date changed, I remember getting caught in that once before

Hopey

Hopey

The freeway certainly helps with the overall average speed, if not the enjoyment levels. Have you given any thought to looping through Tamworth, Scone, Singleton for the return home?
Actually I did but I love going up and down the HILL as I call it. twice as many corners

Hopey

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Is that an ATM just beside the phone at the United servo at Michelago? That's a handy 33.7km to put in the bag as a start point docket Hopey.

Itll be hot sure and certain.

Hopey

Ok, inspired by Foxton 1(well done that man) and quickly running out of time to have it done by the end of 2022.
Yes concerned with the heat especially with the traffic north of Sydney at this time of year, daughter got caught in a 2 hour delay yesterday.
So slight change of plan
No ATM there anymore Gatey but you are right way waste 35ks to Calwell will top up with fuel and start from there
So now looking at leaving Michelago Friday afternoon 5-6pm (which should get me to the M7/M2 by 9pm hoping long weekend traffic is gone by then) and ride through the night which I'm hoping to get me home by 10 am Saturday, is this allowed?
This should have me going in to Sydney on the return trip around 6am all going well.
Also slight change of destination going to keep going up the highway to the BP Truck stop in Nambucca Heads and turn around.
Just a little worried that on google maps it is only 1612 Ks

Have Spotwella setup

Quick question or two; I like using the BP app for fuel as I don't have to waste time going inside to pay will that work? Image of receipt below
Also I can do a screen shot of my etag account going through the tunnels

I better read the rules again of what I have to do before I leave

Hopey

1672258864846.png
1672259081004.png

Foxton1

Premier Member
Hey Hopey! :cool: I read somewhere on the forums before I started planning my trips, that it is best to allow 2-3% additional mileage. With 1610km being 1000 miles, 1612km cuts it too close if there are odometer, gps or mapping anomalies when rides are verified. I personally make 1642km my minimum planned distance for an SS1600K.

Also, Macksville may leave you a little short when I did a quick calc returning back to Calwell via Gunning or Yass (Manton turnoff).

The following would allow you to use your BP card, and you won’t be held-up by the traffic-crawl through Coffs - since the servo there is on the south side. This may be a safer option for you to consider:

816km Ampol Calwell - BP Truck Stop Coffs
755km BPTS Coffs - Gunning M31
Turn off onto Gundaroo Rd
86km Gunning M31 - Ampol Calwell
1657km total