my first recorded ride.

Just about to set off tomorrow (25/04/16) on my first recorded ride for the IBA. Leaving St Etienne, France for Halifax, UK via the tunnel, S. London, Birmingham, Manchester and Penrith before cutting across the 66 and coming down the A1. I do a more direct route about 3 times a year on the bike but figured I would bump it up a bit to see how hard it could be. Will be leaving 42100 about 10 am. . If you see a strange looking bloke on an Explorer that'll be me. Lol. Wish me luck.

One thing Andy. Two weeks ago coming back from a rte nr Penrith I found out the hard way that the A1 southbound from scotch corner is closed overnight whilst they are working on a twelve mile stretch. Diversion wasn't good shall we say..

Be lucky...

Thanks all.
Should be early morning coming down the A1 so hopefully will be around 6 or 7 ish I will check tomorrow and change it if needed.....
Done the st etienne to halifax route so many times the bike knows its own way but it feels different when the clock is ticking lol. Hope the weather is good to me, i left my waterproofs behind in a mad dash for the boat on the way out.

Well, ive spent the day taking it easy, did the ride.. kind of and got just over a thou' under my belt.
Did the straight run from St.Etienne to Eurotunnel via Lyon as planned but ran along the south of M25 joining the M4 jumping on the M5 from Bristol running up to Shap and back down to Halifax via M6/M61/M62 only trouble road wise (if you can call it trouble was M62 junc 18 was shut so i had to deviate through Middleton, no real harm there though.
Did i meantion when leaving for France via Hull i was running late and didn't notice i hadn't packed my waterproofs.. or as it turns out my jacket & jeans thermal inners. Nice and warm/dry going out and while i was there but i might ... correction... I definetly picked the wrong day to come back. Sleat, wind, rain snow and a little snow.. and one degree coming over Saddleworth. Not good when youve just climatised yourself to temperatures around 18 degrees.. i shivered and cursed and shivered some more with every warm car i passed. Do it again, yes... check my equipment, yes forget something next time... knowing me... yes.
Next challenge please. lol.;)o_O
Andy

Well doe Andy, great ride. You had mentioned that you had forgotten your waterproofs and I did think the worst when I saw the weather report, but again, well done. You just have to submit your paperwork fir verification now.

Be lucky, Iain.

Thanks Iain.
If the weather was a bit better and I had the right gear on I would have probably run a bit further to make it 1500/24 as I wasn't tired (until I saw my bed) but although the cold was probably keeping me alert I was getting close to giving up, especially when I passed the M62 on the way to Shap .... I have submitted my receipts and maps hopefully to the right email address. Hopefully it's accepted, bike odo and tracker are both saying about 1030 or 1050 ish, just fingers crossed that's right and I haven't done 998m.
Will know soon enough. Then I will plan my next one..

Sneezy

IBAUK Bouncer
IBA Member
It becomes addictive, and can highly recommend a heated jacket, i did a bbg1500 on christmas day a few years ago, with just a thermal vest, heated jacket, windproof over shirt, and bike jacket, and was as warm as could be. (Only thing is, other parts now feel cold)
Congrats on the ride btw

Afternoon Phil, yep I sometimes can't reply straight away because of work commitments. I've sent you the dosh. Looking forward to my next one but hopefully it will be a bit more straight lined.:):eek:

Last edited:
It becomes addictive, and can highly recommend a heated jacket, i did a bbg1500 on christmas day a few years ago, with just a thermal vest, heated jacket, windproof over shirt, and bike jacket, and was as warm as could be. (Only thing is, other parts now feel cold)
Congrats on the ride btw
Thanks for the congrats. Lowest it went to was +1 must admit to shivering like a fool and raiding my bag for as many clothes I could fit under my bike jacket... including a casual leather jacket. I will definitely make sure I have them next time.. found them nicely rolled up on the sofa.
Never really been one for electric clothes, I have heated grips but I use handle bar muffs when it's cold (even though I took them off before leaving.. being spring n all) and find them enough without turning the grips on.
Who else thinks that there seems to be a barrier at about +5 mark..
+4.5 I'm cold and shivering without thermals
+5 I can cope
+5.5 I'm good.
+10 to +17 life is just dandy
+17 to +28 to warm I need beer
+28 + passed out somewhere under a tree hopefully with a breeze and cool beer