My first SS1K

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My understanding of tracks is that they are well suited for routes that cover non-roads, but the trip should show your exact route, so it seems redundant to me.

OK, with all my DBRs entered in Google Maps and allowing the option to take toll roads, it puts the total miles at 1,165 (though one location I can confirm with Spotwalla where I couldn't get a DBR as the gas machine wouldn't print and the store was closed). With avoiding tolls—and what my Spotwalla track will confirm—1,197.

Neither of these miles seems right though, pretty high. The initial route planned on Maps was 1,023 and my Odo showed 1,018.

I used this combiner thing to make more than 10 waypoints on Google maps, every stop is in order (I double checked) and the route is almost exactly the same I took anywhere I zoom in on it so I don't understand where this extra 100 miles came from, no back tracking or anything. There are a few places it's having me go around a small bypass where I went through the middle of town, but only a few places and I don't think would add up to an additional 100 miles.

Anyway, leaving out the location I couldn't get a DBR from, earlier it was showing the minimal route (including toll roads) as 1,002 miles (though avoiding tolls put ot at 1,021, which is more accurate). Not sure what I did wrong with this combined map, I can't see where it's messed up. But if I look at my two maps I made and manually add them, it comes out to 1,197.

Anyway... I printed the map to a pdf and also physically printed it out.

Working on my submission paperwork now.

One quick thing though... I took a pic of my odo and the gas pump (which had the address on it) where I couldn't get a receipt, but they're two separate pics and I couldn't get the address clear enough in the pic. For my spotwalla map, which pic should I use? The one of the pump even though you can't see my bike in it, or the one of the odo?

Last edited:

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Send both pics with an explanation of why.

On the mileage, go thru again and verify the sequence. The most common error is Google Maps has moved one out of sequence. The other common error when combining a route over 10 stops is that the last stop from the first 10 is in twice, once as the last stop, and again as the first stop of the next group, but with something inbetween.

Send both pics with an explanation of why.

On the mileage, go thru again and verify the sequence. The most common error is Google Maps has moved one out of sequence. The other common error when combining a route over 10 stops is that the last stop from the first 10 is in twice, once as the last stop, and again as the first stop of the next group, but with something inbetween.
I found the problem, two places had been backwards, switching them brings it to 1,027 miles (turning off the avoid tolls option brings it to 1,024). I had already removed the duplicate spot.

I actually just found it right now while filling out my ride report.

But my question was specifically about which image to use for the stop on Spotwalla (only one image field, or can you add two images to a spot, not counting the large and small versions?)... I will include both images in the documentation.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
For spotwalla image field, imho, use the address, the overall miles will document themselves. Odo wise, the receipts inbetween the start and finish are not as important as the start and finish. The address at least documents your location, as shown on the Spotwalla page.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>Side-question... should I also create a track for it? I'm not sure I fully understand the point of putting a track on a trip.
Here ya go...small example on a trip I did - I was in the car for this one.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/dbfc-fc087c-4019/view

Around San Bernardino, I stayed on I-10 as I went westbound. On the return trip, Google Maps showed staying on CA-210 was much better than I-10 was at that time of day.

Track-on-trip is more suitable for off-highway use.

All right, one last round of questions while I am here...

If I submit this all online, is the email address still [email protected] ?

All the threads I see when searching about online submission are pretty old.

Also, couldn't find an FAQ anywhere about online submission, but is there a preference for file type? Should I zip all the stuff into a Zip file? Is it OK for me to tape all my receipts (in order) to a single piece of paper and scan it as one image or do they all need to be separate images? Should I combine everything into a single PDF file?

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Unless you are a premier member, yes - LINK It's easier to go to the source, the IBA web site, rather than search the forum for that info.

YES, tape all your receipts to one page and scan that. You do not need to send each receipt image as a separate image/file. Put them in order, and they should have the sequence number, (#1, #2, #3, etc), and the odo when you got the receipt on there too.

As far as I know, just about any file type will do. There should be no problem sending a zip file. (I should have done that last time, as it took two emails to attach all the files for my ride.)

PDFs are probably ok, but sometimes Adobe does bad things for me. I think you'd be safer with other word docs and normal jpeg files.

OK so here's what I will do. I will follow those instructions you gave.

Currently, I have filled out the PDF electronically so everything is nice and clear. I will scan the printed document so that it's image files (I'm sure there's a way to print to image file or something but, I don't know if it's a paid feature in Acrobat DC or some nightmare to do). I'd have to scan the signed page anyway. I also have witness form that's signed that will be scanned. I also took a screenshot image of the Spotwalla map which will be included. I had also printed out the Google combined map which has dots for the stops with the addresses, but I am going to circle them anyway and scan that in.

I will make a document file with clickable links to my Spotwalla map and to the combined Google Map that also includes details about the ride (explanations for lack of two receipts, one of which isn't even a corner and both of which are in the middle), as well as an address discrepancy for one of the stops (the receipt has their mailing address which I think is a PO box rather than the actual location, but it does have the name of the place which can be Googled to obtain the actual physical location address). I already included most of that information in the PDF that I am printing, but I didn't want to have to make the text too small. Of course, those same cickable links will also be in the email.

I will also be including the ODO pics. I'll also tape all the receipts to a single page and scan them in, etc.

Having said that, even compressed and stuff, this will be too much data to attach in the email. I'm going to zip it all into a ZIP file (since ZIP is univerallly openable with any Zip/Rar/whateverextension.archive.program), upload it to my Google drive and make sure it's shareable and provide a link in the email for it to be downloaded.

I want to make this as easy as possible for whoever is doing the verification. Just in filling out the information myself so far and trying to do my own verification, I can tell just how much of a nightmare it could be, it's a lot of work no doubt... I've been at it for about 5 hours in total putting my packet together.

I'll let you guys know how it goes. Oh, and if anyone who has been following along is interested, here's the combined link for the Google Map, which is just my DBRs:
https://www.google.com/maps/dir/162...0e!2m2!1d-94.7915159!2d36.6032715!2m1!2b1!3e0

Last edited:
So, here's also some helpful things I have learned:
  • When using Google Maps for navigation (on a phone, on Android at least, probably iPhone too), it keeps track when you stop of how long you were stopped (sometimes giving the time in minutes, sometimes as a range, for example 12:32 - 12:57). This is extremely helpful, but I would still take a notepad and pen and take some notes just in case, but useful for seeing how long you were at a stop (because I didn't take notes other than mentally).
  • If you have to ride at night for part of your trip, avoid any large lakes at night and the early morning (fog = no visibility = going really slow).
  • Make absolutely sure you check what the average nighttime weather is like anywhere you're going to likely be headed through at nighttime. I was headed to northeast Oklahoma, and I'm accustomed to night temps where I live in Alabama being in the 70's and 80's, not the low 50's. I didn't even consider bringing a jacket or even a thermal shirt, and it nearly cost me my ability to complete the ride (which also was on schedule to be finished on time in 18-18.5 hours prior to the last 125-150 miles, which alone due to my slow speed because of cold and visibility issues and extra stopping to warm up, extended the total time to 21 hours).
A few other things that are specific and personal to me:
With my bike set up the way it is with the windshied it has, I was feeling gradually more and more fatigued as the trip went on, but I mostly didn't really feel very tired/sore (physically) until around 800 miles in, that's when I could really start to feel it. At that point, it wasn't even like an "oh man, I need to push through" kind of thing, not a danger level tired/sore, and not a "sleepy tired").

Prior to that, I had been stopping every about 140 miles according to my odometer (which is approximately 2 hours at highway speed). After I started to get sore, I still could have gone around 120-140 miles between stops, but I ended up only going about 80 miles between stops because I was cold and needed to warm up (I had no cold weather gear at all, just some cheap unlined full finger leather gloves I use when it's raining so I don't mess up my nice leather gloves and my rainsuit jacket that is pretty lightweight).

I was also getting mentally tired due to stress since I couldn't see (fog) and was so cold for the last about 125 miles, so I was crawling at 45 mph in a 65 mph zone, much of which was under construction and/or two lane roads, and people whipping past you and semis whipping past you can be pretty stressful.

On the interstate, I ran an average of about 75 mph, though almost 2/3 of the trip was back highways just getting to/from the interstate, where the average speed was more like 55 or 60 mph. If I were to do a longer ride, I for sure would start directly on the Interstate and probably run about 70 mph. Although, I don't think I will attempt a longer ride on the motorcycle I have. It's a rigid mounted engine with no counter-balancers (Harley Evo), so the thing shakes, and that's more exhausting than anything. Though, the shake isn't too bad... I can't imagine how people did these kinds of rides on the old Shovelheads and Panheads with the amount that those shake.

Last edited: