My new normal

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
We’re a select bunch in the IBA and I hesitate to offer advice to a bunch of grown adults who, for the most part, have survived their often risky younger years and, like me, may well have already outlived their own life expectancy so I’m not going to. This is simply a description of my personal response to Covid-19 and particularly how it affects my long-distance riding. Make of it what you will.

As an advanced rider I aim to be safe, mostly legal (don’t get all holy with me, I’ve seen you doing 51 in the 50 zone), mostly smooth, most of the time. As an IBA rider I like my own company, I’m resourceful (and have useful mates) and tolerant. Covid-19 has reminded me that I am an ordinary biological creature living in a biological world. It has also reminded me of the serious folly of relying on any government to keep me safe or even well-informed. Human evolution in recent years has meant that we’re better able to cope with the various bugs that share our world. Bug evolution has meant that there are better and better bugs. Is this a new thing? No. When will this end? Never. Recognition of these truths is the new normal.

I recently completed an IBA ride and had to radically alter my earlier arrangements:
  1. I carried with me a bottle of hand sanitizer (>=60% alcohol) and a reusable, washable, facemask.
  2. I used the station’s disposable plastic gloves when getting fuel.
  3. I went inside and paid with my card at each one, sometimes buying chocolate or whatever, sometimes using the toilet.
  4. I sanitized my hands before putting my gloves back on.
Apart from 3) which represents no change at all, that list is the whole change to my habits. Some will prefer to replace 3) with pay at pump or pay with app. I’m not keen on those options as I prefer to indulge in the odd bit of human contact every now and then. I have also found that stopping on the hard shoulder to pee into the bushes isn’t all it’s cracked up to be.

That’s all very well for solo (or even group) rides but what about those germ-fests, the RTEs and rallies? There are two considerations: safety & legality. Safety is further broken down into personal safety and group safety. Legality is broken into actual legality and perception.

Personally, I see no reason why we shouldn’t interact with one another as we always have except we should avoid standing/sitting around close together and handshakes, hugs, etc should be followed by hand sanitizing. Some will remember the good old days when smokers regularly shared their pack with others in the group, hand sanitizer should be the new “cigarette”. We should routinely carry it and should not be embarrassed about using it. If others wish to avoid such contact that shouldn’t be an issue either. We as a group should also maintain our distance from “strangers”. Rightly or wrongly I trust those who’ve agreed to participate in the event more than those who happen also to be there (other hotel guests for example).

As with speed limits we should always strive to act within the law. Obviously “the law” isn’t always the same thing as what “the government” says it is and we must be careful to distinguish between the two. Perception must also be taken into account. Many people think that I’m breaking the law when I’m filtering up the M1. They’re wrong to think that but I try to avoid irritating them anyway.

Away from riding, I decided some months ago that in crowded public indoor spaces (think London Underground, Royal Albert Hall, etc) I will be wearing a facemask. I’d extend that now to outdoor locations such as football stadiums packed with cheering fans.

As I said, I prefer not to offer advice but, if we all manage decent standards of hygiene and remember to avoid casually snogging strangers in the street, I think the human race will survive.

Last edited:

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Not one run this year for me . Soon after lock down was over the riots started .
If your mates ran under a bus would you do likewise? Just because others are rioting doesn't mean you have to join in. Get on your bike, go for a ride and stop all that foolishness!

Sorry, sometimes giving advice is the only option.

c10

If your mates ran under a bus would you do likewise? Just because others are rioting doesn't mean you have to join in. Get on your bike, go for a ride and stop all that foolishness!

Sorry, sometimes giving advice is the only option.
You have mistaken me for a person with no morals or ethics . The riots , and left wing governors / mayors have made travel dangerous .
I would like to keep my motorcycle , remain safe , and not be put in a position of battle . I do not deal well with criminals , thugs , looters , and the sorts .