National Parks Stamp question

I'm headed out Wednesday to start my National Parks Tour challenge and joined the Parkstamps.org site. Only thing is with the National Parks Service celebrating their 100th birthday this year, the stamps don't have the date, just 1916-2016 NPS Centennial with the Park Name. So are these acceptable for credit?
I would hate to get no credit for stopping, getting the stamp, and losing out because they went with an anniversary date set vs the actual date.
Here's an example of the new stamps for this year below.

Attachments

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I'm headed out Wednesday to start my National Parks Tour challenge and joined the Parkstamps.org site. Only thing is with the National Parks Service celebrating their 100th birthday this year, the stamps don't have the date, just 1916-2016 NPS Centennial with the Park Name. So are these acceptable for credit?
I would hate to get no credit for stopping, getting the stamp, and losing out because they went with an anniversary date set vs the actual date.
Here's an example of the new stamps for this year below.
Yes.

According to the rules, "When you stop by the National Park, Historic Site, you must stop by the Visitor's Center and have them stamp your passport (the stamp is free) with the round rubber-ink stamp that contains the Park's name and location." The rules do not require the stamp contain the current date.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Thanks Ira. With the NPS Centennial the 1916-2016 stamps are only going to be available until December 31st this year. I know in the past they had the actual sate on the stamp.

Don P

Matt,
What is your planned route, or are you going to just wing it? Are you going to go into Canada? are you planning the basic level or are you going for Silver or Gold?

Don P

Matt,
On the topic of the date stamp, Canada generally doesn't have a stamp with the date like most U.S. National Parks. I would ask one of the people who worked there about a stamp and they always came up with a stamp that identified the park it was from. I would then ask them to date and either sign or initial next to it. I do think that if you asked them they probably have the date stamp available that you could use.

I'm sure you already realized it, but the first thing you need to get for your trip is a National Park Pass which is good for one year. It will get you in any park that has an entry fee. Some of the parks get around that by replacing an entry fee with a parking fee. The only one I can think of is Mt. Rushmore which charges $11.00 for a motorcycle, car or RV. If you are going to hit many parks in Canada, they have also have a pass. If you are going to get many stickers, t-shirts or anything else, you might consider paying to join one of the Associations at one of the bookstores. It will get you a discount at other bookstores. I'm not sure how much so it would depend on how much you are going to buy. Just remember, if you go somewhere and don't buy a t-shirt, you weren't really there... except for jail.

In case you don't have it, check out the "Passport to your National Parks" smartphone app (search for "national park" and scroll down). It can show you what National Parks, and other facilities operated by the National Parks Service where you can get stamps, are within 50, 100 or 250 miles. The app will also show you where the cancellation location (typically the visitors center) is located... or where they all are if there is more than one stamp location at that facility. Never pass up a stamp of opportunity. I was passing through the Twin Cities, detoured a couple of miles because of the app, and ended up getting my only stamp from Minnesota at the Mississippi National River & Recreational Area because when I ended up coming back through, the Voyageurs NP visitors center was closed.

Some parks are in two states and have cancellation locations in both states. Yellowstone (mainly in Wyoming but West Yellowstone Visitor Information Center is in Montana) and Great Smokey Mountain NP (numerous locations in both North Carolina and Tennessee) are the only two I can think of.

Don't miss out on "hidden" stamps. Moose Visitor Center and Colter Bay Visitor Center not only have a stamp for Grand Teton NP but they also have a Stamp for John D. Rockefeller Jr. Memorial Parkway. The John D. Rockefeller Jr. Memorial Parkway is the only road between Grand Teton and Yellowstone. There is also supposed to be a significant number of locations in D.C., but I 'm not sure about that since I haven't been there.

On a side note, if you are staying in hotels you should become a member of whichever chain you prefer. You could end up with a lot of points, upgrades and free nights. I joined the one for Choice Hotels.

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Like Joe, they always have more than one stamp. You could also buy something (I get a small pin every time I visit a NP), this will add prove of your visit. Don't forget the photo, that can help too.
Best of Luck and share your rides.

Jon Kerr

More lost than found
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The NPT was one of the funnest rides I've ever done. I had a week open in April one year and decided to hit 30 parks in that one week time period. The places I went to, the things I saw, the incredible vistas and beautiful scenery were all exquisite. It rained all day, every day. I never slept in a hotel, I just slept in parks and wherever I could find a safe place to sleep, usually just for a few hours at a time. One of my most memorable experiences was going to Monocacy Battlefield (which is not a National Park but they still give stamps - and these stamps count!). Traveling along the Civil War Corridor and stopping at multiple battlefields was hauntingly beautiful, ethereal and deeply spiritual--even soul-stirring. Imagining the sacrifices that took place at these battlefields, the determination, vision and hope that our national forebears held (and which brought them to action) was very powerful for me.

While at Monocacy, I went into the visitor center, got my stamp, chatted for a few minutes and got a drink/bathroom visit, etc. Getting back to the bike, I realized I had lost my key. Sometime in the last 10 minutes. At this stage of my riding, I was not riding with a spare. I checked all my pockets. Turned out all my gear, went back through the VC, checked every counter, talked to everybody. Went back into the bathroom (three times). NOTHING! Without my key, the ride was done. How could this happen? What had I done?

Then an idea flashed. When in the bathroom, I had thrown away my drink bottle. I quickly rushed into the bathroom, upturned the garbage, and rifled through the trash. In trying to go as quickly s possible, I had mistakenly tossed my keys into the trash. Sure enough, I heard the tinkle of keys on the floor and voila! My keys were un-trashed. FREEDOM! With the garbage cleaned up, I was back on the bike and moving toward Gettysburg in a few minutes.

Learned lessons:
a) I now carry two spares.
b) I "always" (OK, maybe most of the time) keep my wallet/keys/glasses in the same pockets/same get on/get off procedure
c) I never carry my keys (in my hands). Always goes into pocket as soon as I'm off the bike
d) The more tired I am or the faster I am trying to go, I always mentally slow things down to make sure I don't forget something
e) Whether on bike or car, the National Battlefields are sacred to me. I love going to them and taking my family

orestesdjc

Premier Member
I'll be using the NPT as the basis for my US trip next summer so this all very useful to me. . Two questions, I'm sure there'll be many more later, apart from Parks and Battlefields are there other types of location I should be looking for? I will also be visiting Canada so where can I find information about their parks etc?

Thanks

ravenranger

22798 now 580
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Something to note when seeking stamps at the Visitor Centers — the National Park hours are often not the same as the Visitor Center hours. The website may state that the park hours are 8 to 5 but the Visitor Center is open from 9 to 4. If you have limited time, this will definitely impact your travel. Also note that the brown signs on the interstate beckoning you to the park are often the longest most congested routes through town to get you there.

cberry

Premier Member
This was my greatest resource.
Download a copy of all the possible stamp cancellations from this site:

http://www.eparks.com/documents/cancellations.pdf
Good starting point, but, is there a gpx file locating all the visitor centers? Or, better yet, one locating all the other relevant places one might visit/document? My memory fails me, but I think there was one such list may have been referenced in the past.

Jon Kerr

More lost than found
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I have a list of all visitor centers as pois in gpx, and other points of interest in other files. I can't remember where I got it from, but happy to send it on. Pm me with email and I'll send it.
Cheers.

Funny thing is, I was just as setting up an old computer for my son yesterday and found that file.

cberry

Premier Member
I've been on the road recently doing the Ultimate C to C and mostly unavailable to the internet...Sorry for the lack of response. I certainly appreciate the offer of the files and will PM you. Finding good internet connections has been a problem.

Well, I tried to PM but could not figure out how to do it on this site. So, I tried to start a conversation with you, Jon. I hope you can see it.

Last edited:

Rony6ble

Premier Member
Some parks are in two states and have cancellation locations in both states. Yellowstone (mainly in Wyoming but West Yellowstone Visitor Information Center is in Montana) and Great Smokey Mountain NP (numerous locations in both North Carolina and Tennessee) are the only two I can think of.
Done, this Monday 06/27 I visited Glenn Canyon (Carl Hayden Visitor Center) in Page, AZ. It is listed (My Passport App) under the Western Region but has a different color that corresponds to the Rocky Mountain Region. The NRA is listed (in my passport book) under Utah as 31 Glen Canyon NRA (UT & AZ), Page, AZ.
SO, if you follow the book, you will visit a park (NRA in this case) in Utah (Mountain Region) but you will need to travel to a different State that belongs to a different Region (Western) to get the cancellation stamp.