National Parks Tour Stamps - Multiple Stamps @ One Location?

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I don't know if these types of questions would be better placed in the IBA Special Certifications forum in a new sub-forum...that's for the administrators to sort out

I'd like to get some clarity on the Nat'l Park Tour stamp collection process. I have a couple of specific examples I'd like to use for this query.

The rule in question: https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/npt/index.html

...or any other site or park listed in the Passport book or other sources, such as those listed by the National Parks Travelers Club http://www.parkstamps.org in at least 25 states within 1 year.
One day, we stopped at one location & acquired three stamps:

Natchez Trace Parkway, Tupelo VC, MS
Brices Cross Roads NBS, Baldwyn, MS
Trail of Tears NHT, Mississippi

The Trail of Tears national historic trail recognizes the "Cherokee people, forcefully removed from their homelands in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee to live in Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. They traveled by foot, horse, wagon, or steamboat in 1838-1839" (nps.gov)

Now, when I look at the NPS map...I'm only seeing a path along the Mississippi River that would really claim that as a valid stamp for the purposes of the IBA's NPT. We did go by Brice's Crossroads after leaving the Visitor Center, so that's a good stamp. This one sorts itself out; shouldn't claim that third stamp.

The next day, we collected (among others...)

Russell Cave National Monument VC, Bridgeport, AL
Trail of Tears NHT, Alabama

Because our route did incorporate some distance of the trail route that's shown on the NPS maps of the Trail of Tears heading toward Russell Cave (very cool place, by the way), I feel that taking claim of the second stamp there is valid.

Anything here we're missing in this interpretation of the NPS tour rules?

Thanks!

Russ Black

Premier Member
Though I am not the final word on this subject, I achieved the Silver level of this award and this is what I did. The rules say "Purchase a "Passport to Your National Parks" book($7.95) from either a National Park Visitor's Center or by mail from...". That is the small blue book. I claimed only the parks and sites listed in that book. They are listed on the first page for each of the different regions. Each region uses a different color. Sadly the Trail of Tears is not listed in that book but the others you listed above are. I could not find a print date or edition number in my book. I also suggest securing a National Parks Pass https://www.nps.gov/planyourvisit/passes.htm Good luck

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
My wife and I are currently doing the ride. Only a few more sites remain, along with less than a handful of states would successfully complete the Master version of the ride.

Now, where we have differed in our approach is the use of other sources, as I've quoted from the rules above.

Russ Black

Premier Member
I'd get a few extras to be safe. I collected 62 parks in 25 states for the Master and 76 parks in 32 states for the Silver. The good news is that you have an entire year to complete this if their happens to be any problems. I know you and your wife are just loving this ride. You get to see the best parts of our nation and learn a whole bunch of new stuff. I know I did. Good luck and be safe in your travels.

Russell

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Five months in, and we're over 50 stamps collected, but still need a couple of states to get the > 25 tally in that column. We've spent a couple of days sweeping up the plentiful stamps here in northern Arizona. Yes, in mid-November.

Yes, it was cold when we hit the road this morning. o_O

There's still about four that are 'close to home' - like, a day-ride would get the needed spares (I figure a 10% overage should be satisfactory), along with three adjacent states left to collect (CA, NM, TX).

Thanks for the confirmation, gang! ;)

Avi Azrieli

Premier Member
As to which stamps would count, the rule says:
"Visit at least 50 National Parks, National Monuments, National Historic Sites, National Recreation Areas or any other site or park listed in the Passport book or other sources, such as those listed by the National Parks Travelers Club http://www.parkstamps.org in at least 25 states within 1 year." In other words, we're not limited to the sites listed in the Passport book, but can get stamps from sites listed in the http://www.parkstamps.org website. There, you'll find listed places such as National Wildlife Refuge and National Forest visitor centers that offer stamps. My understanding is that those stamps would count, as well. Am I wrong?

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
As to which stamps would count, the rule says:
"Visit at least 50 National Parks, National Monuments, National Historic Sites, National Recreation Areas or any other site or park listed in the Passport book or other sources, such as those listed by the National Parks Travelers Club http://www.parkstamps.orgin at least 25 states within 1 year." In other words, we're not limited to the sites listed in the Passport book, but can get stamps from sites listed in the http://www.parkstamps.org website. There, you'll find listed places such as National Wildlife Refuge and National Forest visitor centers that offer stamps. My understanding is that those stamps would count, as well. Am I wrong?
My experience (3 NPTs, 1 gold, 2 silver) is that those count as well - an official stamp that has the date included will be accepted. If a NWR or NF has an official stamp that should be accepted.

For example for the Mt Baker NF, both these 2 stamps are available at the Heather Meadows ranger station. This one would be acceptable:

1640016010271.png

..but this would not:
1640016092957.png

** I am not an official reviewer, I am only sharing what was accepted for my rides. **

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks, Kerri. That's very helpful.
By the way, I love your blog and ride reports - thanks for those, as well :)
Oh, thank you!

BTW, if it would help you or anyone else, I'm happy to share the barebones spreadsheets that I use for documenting these big collection rides; It's pretty simply _to me_ but it might be useful for someone else.

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I used a list of parks I found on the National Parks Passport forum that had a list of parks, the actual locations of the stamps as some are not at the visitor center, and the date the stamp was last seen so I didn't waste time visiting a park where the stamp was lost.

For organization of the stamps I took a simpler route, I would only do one state per page. Much easier to track how many states I had. If I do another I will likely buy the larger loose leaf pages for the larger stamp book to make it easier and to make copying the pages easier

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Submitted the data for the ride a week ago.

I put the stamps in the correct locations in the stamp booklet, then took photos of each page with stamps.

These images I then annotated with the 'stop sequence' number as listed on my table with all stops accounted for.

220213_183248_anno.jpg

57 stamps, 26 states total. Seven months and a bit less than 9000 miles of riding to accomplish.

As many others have stated, probably the most enjoyable IBA ride we've done.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Well done!
This is on my list of rides to do.
The first portion of the blog entry for the ride went thru my planning process: https://kwthom.blogspot.com/2021/12/national-parks-tour-preparation.html

My wife & I have done a couple of 'cross the country' motorcycle tours in the past. This was the opportunity to do a very large portion of the NPT while accomplishing the main goal of the ride - visit my wife's elderly relative.

Now, just awaiting the certification.

m a u r a

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I don't know if these types of questions would be better placed in the IBA Special Certifications forum in a new sub-forum...that's for the administrators to sort out

I'd like to get some clarity on the Nat'l Park Tour stamp collection process. I have a couple of specific examples I'd like to use for this query.

The rule in question: https://www.ironbutt.com/themerides/npt/index.html

One day, we stopped at one location & acquired three stamps:

Natchez Trace Parkway, Tupelo VC, MS
Brices Cross Roads NBS, Baldwyn, MS
Trail of Tears NHT, Mississippi

The Trail of Tears national historic trail recognizes the "Cherokee people, forcefully removed from their homelands in Georgia, Alabama, and Tennessee to live in Indian Territory, now Oklahoma. They traveled by foot, horse, wagon, or steamboat in 1838-1839" (nps.gov)

Now, when I look at the NPS map...I'm only seeing a path along the Mississippi River that would really claim that as a valid stamp for the purposes of the IBA's NPT. We did go by Brice's Crossroads after leaving the Visitor Center, so that's a good stamp. This one sorts itself out; shouldn't claim that third stamp.

The next day, we collected (among others...)

Russell Cave National Monument VC, Bridgeport, AL
Trail of Tears NHT, Alabama

Because our route did incorporate some distance of the trail route that's shown on the NPS maps of the Trail of Tears heading toward Russell Cave (very cool place, by the way), I feel that taking claim of the second stamp there is valid.

Anything here we're missing in this interpretation of the NPS tour rules?

Thanks!
I think it is more fun to collect all the stamps available at a given location than edit them out. It gives depth to the experience. I hope that without a serious 'on-the-clock' requirement for this ride most people will take a few minutes to actually check out the visitor centre and why it is a NP location. When you do your total tally, it is harder to get the 25 states, so most people have surplus parks. For the trails, there is another aspect , the trails go through multiple states. It is cool to collect multiple states on the one trail, essentially to follow the trail. I have never got the 25/50 but I am always collecting. I really enjoyed getting some of the Lewis and Clark National Historic Trail stamps, essentially following the trail for a while.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I think it is more fun to collect all the stamps available at a given location than edit them out. It gives depth to the experience. I hope that without a serious 'on-the-clock' requirement for this ride most people will take a few minutes to actually check out the visitor centre and why it is a NP location. When you do your total tally, it is harder to get the 25 states, so most people have surplus parks.<...>
Agreed, and one of the points I stumbled upon early in the process. The 'editing out' came as a result of being certain that each stamp would qualify for the ride.

The big loop planned to get the bulk of the states was accomplished rather easily. The initial attempt at getting more than one stamp in each state was messed up by the fact that the pandemic was still influencing certain regions of the country. I'd consider that our NPT was significantly hampered by this fact. Certain places were still closed, or very limited access one year ago.

So, getting the state tally was fairly easy in a 7000 mile series of loops that we did. The count turned out to be easier than I'd expected, after it was all done.

A ride that I would highly recommend any serious touring rider to accomplish at least once. Doing it two-up was even more enjoyable.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
<...>57 stamps, 26 states total. Seven months and a bit less than 9000 miles of riding to accomplish.

As many others have stated, probably the most enjoyable IBA ride we've done.
The best email received for the month...this week, one year from when the ride started:

"You are receiving this e-mail because of your application for a ride certification. This note is to let you know that your ride has been approved and entered into the Iron Butt Association's certification database:"

Woo-hoo!