NC in state Ss1000 question

So I’m mapping out a in state SS1000 and have some concerns about documents. All my past rides I was going through full tanks on the same highway. With the exception of a corner turn. However when I am planning my in state there are many stretches on different highways. Some are longer than others and some are the long way on purpose. I know it’s up to me to prove I did the ride and don’t know if I can do it with gas slips alone. Any suggestions other than stop and get gas every 50 miles? If you know NC the plan is Raleigh, Nags Head, Wilmington, Asheville, Boone them back home to Raleigh. Should be a beach in the morning mountains in the afternoon. I’m coming up with 1090 miles on Google. Do I just need to suck it up and buy a spot or similar?

The hope is I can do the ride without stopping constantly. Chris thanks for the link I’m looking it over now. Have you had any issues with service interruptions using a phone? As you guys know you don’t want to go to all the effort only to find a gap in the data.

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
The hope is I can do the ride without stopping constantly. Chris thanks for the link I’m looking it over now. Have you had any issues with service interruptions using a phone? As you guys know you don’t want to go to all the effort only to find a gap in the data.
A key thing is to test it before you need to rely upon it.

If you go with either of those versions I recommended, then they store and send points which were gathered when you are out of cell signal, as soon as you get back into service. If you're on an Android phone then they can be overly aggressive with power saving efforts, and can at times shut down apps which are felt to be power drains. - So keeping your phone visible and on charge, and routinely checking the track which you're creating is important. I don't know much about your setup to comment much further than that. - Practice and testing is key.

I posted this other thread yesterday - https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/tips-to-get-a-solid-spotwalla-based-track.4397/ - which I'm sure some people will find useful...

I actually tested it on the way home tonight. Worked fine on my I phone. I have a charger on the bars so I will be able to see that it's tracking. Easy fix thanks so much for the fast response. I'm getting more rides under my belt to get ready for a 50cc.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
In many cases, there aren't really any shortcuts when changing roads or direction. Take a look at your route and ask yourself if, when you change roads or direction, is there some kind of shortcut I could have taken? If not, then there is no need to document it. And, of course, a satellite track also bolsters your case. No ride was ever denied because of too much documentation.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

The part of my ride that I am going to long way around to get on the outer banks is were I was seeing were an issue could come up. GPS will try to take you the direct way. The way I am planning will add 50ish miles. I would not need fuel at that point so it would be an un need stop just for a document. The plan is to get this ride done in the spring so I have some time to get the tracking all ironed out. Thanks again for all the help.