Need help: tire change (immediately)

pihlo

12 Days? 12Days!
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
By guys, we are at the end of our trip in UK and 1.5h away from Dover to take the ferry.
But our tired are total off... Never had this before...
Someo e KNOW a dealer near Dover along M25 how has tires and can change them (now) on ourPan European? Sizes are
Front: 120/70ZR18 (59W) TL
Rear: 170/60ZR17 (72W) TL (important)
Which type is not I tresting.
If you know... Write back or SMS to +41786315211

Cheers
Peter and Conny

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
By guys, we are at the end of our trip in UK and 1.5h away from Dover to take the ferry.
But our tired are total off... Never had this before...
Someo e KNOW a dealer near Dover along M25 how has tires and can change them (now) on ourPan European? Sizes are
Front: 120/70ZR18 (59W) TL
Rear: 170/60ZR17 (72W) TL (important)
Which type is not I tresting.
If you know... Write back or SMS to +41786315211

Cheers
Peter and Conny
Hi Peter, Just sent a text, Watling Tyres, 65 High St, Swanley, BR8 8AF, Tel: 01322 329112
Exit 3 off M25, junction with A20, head North, very close to M25

pihlo

12 Days? 12Days!
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
@Kim Leeson thanks for support. We call them and others.... Result... Closed or no tires. We are now on the ferry, hope they got it till CH. Thanks again...

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Okay Peter, sorry they couldn't help, I don't know shops down there, just did a google search to help, hoping they could sort you out.
Good Luck after ferry, see you and Conny soon.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
Nice response whilst John is away in Canada but how did you see this HELP request so quickly Kim?

I know tyres last bits of life wear away quickly which is why I do my POWDERY before every ride:

Petrol?
Oil?
Water?
Damage/Drive?
Electrics (lights/horn/signals/USB Port!)?
Rubber (pressure/damage/wear)?
You?

Anyway enough preaching POWDERY gets drummed into you at an early age especially if you drive/ride many vehicles that are not yours.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Nice response whilst John is away in Canada but how did you see this HELP request so quickly Kim?

I know tyres last bits of life wear away quickly which is why I do my POWDERY before every ride:

Petrol?
Oil?
Water?
Damage/Drive?
Electrics (lights/horn/signals/USB Port!)?
Rubber (pressure/damage/wear)?
You?

Anyway enough preaching POWDERY gets drummed into you at an early age especially if you drive/ride many vehicles that are not yours.
I always hit the 'New Posts' first...Bored with cleaning the house, and I was close to the computer, had a quick look and tried to help.

GarminDave

Ex-Arkwright
Premier Member
I always hit the 'New Posts' first...Bored with cleaning the house, and I was close to the computer, had a quick look and tried to help.
Just fortuitous then. I thought perhaps in this technical savvy World you had a sniffer App searching for new posts. Now there’s an idea......

pihlo

12 Days? 12Days!
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Checked everything and was ok. But... Unfortunaly... The rest 500km of our trip is now on a train.... because tire decides to be dead on highway in France....

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Sorry to hear this Peter and Conny, may I ask what tyres you run? and how many miles do you get on average? Was it unusual wear?

Good luck on the last miles, hope you enjoyed your trip other than the recent unfortunate challenge.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Just fortuitous then. I thought perhaps in this technical savvy World you had a sniffer App searching for new posts. Now there’s an idea......
Easy... Go into each individual forum and hit the "Watch" button... Set your options. Any new post (or thread, depending on your options) in that forum will result in an email sent to you immediately.

Screenshot_20190804-151649_Firefox.jpg

pihlo

12 Days? 12Days!
Premier Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
@Kim Leeson : this tire was a BT023. I bought this "new PAN" bevor 4 month as a replacement for my old 280tkm PAN.
The tires was new. When the rear one broke he has 6.000km on road.
Common for me with this tire is 8..10tkm (I am a lasy bone rider).
The problem was not the pressure (always 3.0 bar, checked all 3..4 days)
The tires lost the rubber till the metal gear on both!! Sides in less than 500km. IMG_20190803_085717_resize_19.jpg
We ride than from lands end till Dover - works well when you ride smooth.
In France then the tire gives up.
IMG_20190804_114204_resize_13.jpg
Now bike is in France, Conny and me we are both home by a 8h train odyssey....
My only idea is that first of all the tire was not the "GT" release. But - this mean that in the middle should have a defect. But the tire looks like as I am a 5* racer....

But hey - we are save at home, repair in France will be organised - and next Tripp is coming....
And... I let them change to the phantastic TK31 (good for 10tkm + x)
And

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
@Kim Leeson : this tire was a BT023. I bought this "new PAN" bevor 4 month as a replacement for my old 280tkm PAN.
The tires was new. When the rear one broke he has 6.000km on road.
Common for me with this tire is 8..10tkm (I am a lasy bone rider).
The problem was not the pressure (always 3.0 bar, checked all 3..4 days)
The tires lost the rubber till the metal gear on both!! Sides in less than 500km. View attachment 4260
We ride than from lands end till Dover - works well when you ride smooth.
In France then the tire gives up.
View attachment 4259
Now bike is in France, Conny and me we are both home by a 8h train odyssey....
My only idea is that first of all the tire was not the "GT" release. But - this mean that in the middle should have a defect. But the tire looks like as I am a 5* racer....

But hey - we are save at home, repair in France will be organised - and next Tripp is coming....
And... I let them change to the phantastic TK31 (good for 10tkm + x)
And
Wow, that tyre is beyond shot, as you say maybe not the 'GT' version, but I still wouldn't expect such drastic wear, as you say 5* racer. You must have been carving up the roads in Wales!

Glad your both home safe, see you in a couple of weeks for the 12Stunden, can't wait.

Kim Leeson

IBAUK Shopkeeper
Premier Member
IBA Member
Easy... Go into each individual forum and hit the "Watch" button... Set your options. Any new post (or thread, depending on your options) in that forum will result in an email sent to you immediately.

View attachment 4258
Hi Stephen, I do tick the watch button for Threads I'm interested in, but it doesn't work for a new post that has just been created as in Peter's case.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Hi Stephen, I do tick the watch button for Threads I'm interested in, but it doesn't work for a new post that has just been created as in Peter's case.
Sure it does... You have to set a watch for each subforum from which you want notifications. In prep for the IBR I set a watch on the entire private rider's subforum (and selected "New Threads"). Every new thread created triggered an email. If I then wanted notifications for the new thread, I had to set a watch on that thread...

20190805_073304.jpg