Nesting question: BB1500 and B2B combo certification?

Well I submitted my paperwork and got the following back today. As you can imagine, I was a bit worried about what this would look like when I opened it up but to my amazement (and to the credit of the person that packed this!!) Everything survived. I'm letting them dry out a bit before framing them....

Now....I have a question: How exactly did I end up with three certifications? (Bun-Burner, Bun Burner Gold and the Border to Border?) Based on our earlier discussion in this thread (and what I submitted) I didn't think this was possible. (See Photos in next posts).

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The answer is that you shouldn't have received both the BB1500 and BBG certificates for the same ride.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Looking over the BB1500 and BBG certs, I can see where the confusion may have come in.

It looks like they stopped the clock on the BBG in San Bernadino and stopped the clock on the other two rides in Tijuana.

The reason for the difference in mileage is different start and end points for the rides (the BBG was Calgary to San Bernadino, the BB1500 was Calgary/Tijuana, and the B2B was Coutts/Tijuana). I gues they decided there was enough difference to not consider the BB1500 and BBG to be "nested". So it look like you didn't receive both certs for the same ride, at least in the opinion of the review team.

Ira

Interesting. I did have an additional 100+miles prior to the border crossing and documented every stop in my log. (Probably over documented things).

While you were typing your reply I was applying the rule you stated farther up and it certainly looks like how you described fits how they interpreted it with the extra mileage and the clock reset...

I did stop at my home (8miles from the border crossing) to catch some sleep before finishing the last part of the effort. (This was one tough ride).

Thanks again for helping me understand the math.

...and double thank you to whoever packaged the certs. As the envelopes were flaking away in my hands from the water I was thinking (there is no way that these certificates survived.) Thankfully they did.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Just as an FYI, one can always order replacement certificates for any rides from the IBA eStore.

Ira

My certs dried out and look fine. Luckily they were packed well and it was just one corner that was wet. Very happy. Thanks again!
Looking forward to more rides. :)