New England 1000

I read a quick mention of this ride but can't seem to find any details. It mentioned 5 New England States but didn't say if all 1000 miles had to be ran in those states or if I could start up north and run thru those 5 on my way South or West. Anyone know anything about this ride?

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I read a quick mention of this ride but can't seem to find any details. It mentioned 5 New England States but didn't say if all 1000 miles had to be ran in those states or if I could start up north and run thru those 5 on my way South or West. Anyone know anything about this ride?
Unfortunately, Ed Farrell retired recently and is no longer doing the traditional fixed route New England ride. Mike is working with him to offer it as an IBA ride as we did the certificates for that ride for over 20 years. It should all work out, but Mike wants to make sure it is worked out first before announcing anything.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
Mike now informs me that we will be publishing the ride rules this winter, but if you have done the ride and know the routing, you can do it and
we will issue a special certification for the ride.

Ira

Not seeing the New England 1000 listed yet--any update? Would like to make this my first, but will do New York instate if New England won't be available this year.
Thanks.

413Sean

Premier Member
I'm interested as well. I'm sure Ira will respond once the details are given. They haven't run the minuteman rally in a couple years I believe

I'd registered a few years ago for the Minuteman 1000, but was sick the weekend it ran. Now, the New England 1000 was an SS1000 ride that one can could do anytime, though the guy who ran it preferred if one started in Augusta, ME. That's the one I want to do. I tried figuring out how to do an instate Connecticut ride, but the state is too small to do without a lot of backtracking or spending too much time on secondary roads. Spent a little time trying to put together a four corners of New England ride, too, but if IBA can resurrect the NE 1000, I think it would be the best option.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
I spoke with Mike. The New England 1000 rules page is being worked on as we speak.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association

Last edited:

413Sean

Premier Member
I'd registered a few years ago for the Minuteman 1000, but was sick the weekend it ran. Now, the New England 1000 was an SS1000 ride that one can could do anytime, though the guy who ran it preferred if one started in Augusta, ME. That's the one I want to do. I tried figuring out how to do an instate Connecticut ride, but the state is too small to do without a lot of backtracking or spending too much time on secondary roads. Spent a little time trying to put together a four corners of New England ride, too, but if IBA can resurrect the NE 1000, I think it would be the best option.
Man an in state CT ride would sure be a challenge!

Man an in state CT ride would sure be a challenge!
Yep, too much of a challenge. Even working in all the interstates and connecting roads, it came to almost 24 hours for about 700 miles. Still, not as bad as an instate Rhode Island! Now that's a challenge.

And many thanks to Ira for the update.

413Sean

Premier Member
Yep, too much of a challenge. Even working in all the interstates and connecting roads, it came to almost 24 hours for about 700 miles. Still, not as bad as an instate Rhode Island! Now that's a challenge.

And many thanks to Ira for the update.
Hahaha an in-state Rhode island. I always wondered what purpose does Rhode island serve(as I'm not a beach person) but you sir, may have just figured it out for guys like me!

10 round trips and you're in there. Gas at the northern end, Coffee and a bio breaks at the southern.

https://goo.gl/maps/AG2dL48KteYr9EgCA
That's an interesting way to earn the RI-1000! Was that an actual route that was certified? As a new guy, I don't want to rile up anyone, but the Saddlesore guidelines say the IBA discourages routes that are repetitive. I realize that the small states would practically require repetition, but ten roundtrips up and down 95 seems to be stretching the rules more than a little.

However, if that route is certified, are gas receipts required at both ends every time one arrives there?