New member hi and intro

Foxton1

Premier Member
Hi all, I'm Sam from Western Sydney, having grown-up in 'the Shire' in South Sydney. This year, I caught the bug for long distance riding challenges, and would like to introduce myself.

I've been riding for over 30 years, mostly on naked & sport touring bikes. My current go-to bike for long rides is a BMW R1250RS. Previous bikes for that purpose were a Suzuki Vstrom 650, then before that - an Aprilia Tuono. The Vstrom took me to Cameron Corner, and the Tuono was perfect for doing a lap of Tassie. Comfort is definitely increasing in priority the older I get!

Shout-out to Chris in NZ for the certificate pack I received yesterday. I thoroughly enjoyed my September ride from Sydney -> Adelaide -> Melbourne, which I'll share a Ride Report soon. I'm already planning my next couple of ride certifications: one in Australia, the other in the USA. Thankfully I have a very supportive wife, who can ride, but prefers her car more these days.

Why 'Foxton1' as my handle?
When I was a kid, I spent each Xmas with my mum's side of the family in Palmerston North, NZ. The closest beach was Foxton Beach some 25 km away. Riding a 10-speed bicycle there and back was my first long-distance ride on two wheels.

I'd welcome the chance to get-to-know/meet other likeminded riders, learn more, give back where possible, and have some fun along the way. Cheers all :)

tj189

Premier Member
G'day Sam and welcome.
lots of information and ride reports from others here on the forum. Please catch up with the web page as well, we have installed a calendar for upcoming rides etc. Our annual Muster recently occured after a bit of a standstill during COVID. Keep an eye out on the calendar for the dates of that for next year.
Enjoy your time with us.

Cheers
TJ

Fatman

Welcome Sam, sounds like the LD riding bug has certainly hit you, only one way to cater for that, more long distance riding. Looking forward to reading your Sydney to Adelaide to Melbourne IBA ride report.

See you out there on the road Sam.

Ed.

Premier Member
Gday Sam, and welcome! Funny how comfort becomes of increasing importance as the years [STRIKE]crawl[/STRIKE] fly by, I started my long distance riding (or indeed all my riding)on a naked with clip-ons and have now just bought an fjr...it is a slippery slope!
I look forward to catching up on the road somewhere or at a gathering sometime

HACKLE

Welcome Sam. Just like that first injection as a baby, we seem to go back to something, that at the time we might have found uncomfortable. But we soon learn to get over that uncomfortable feeling and change the negative into a positive. I see many more injections coming your way. Looking forward to that ride report and also to catch up on a road somewhere. Cheers.

Foxton1

Premier Member
Thanks TJ, nice to meet you. Great tips, and I'll be sure to check the calendar.
Thanks Michael, nice to meet you. Hope you enjoy the ride report, I'll post it a bit later today.
Thanks Ed, nice to meet you. I rode a friend's Katana to the Snowys and back once... it almost broke my wrists!
Thanks Graham, nice to meet you too. Thankfully I've found all the good stuff usually outweighs the discomfort.

Looking forward to catching up somewhere down the line. Cheers.

Biggles

Premier Member
Well you've "hit the road running", figuratively speaking! You'll soon have a swag of certificates at this rate. It's great to have the Missus on board with our shenanigans. You're a legend phoning home as often as you do- I'd be lucky to SMS that often! But I do run a SPOT.

Foxton1

Premier Member
Thanks Martin & Biggles, nice to meet you both.

Martin: Haha what a small world! you'd know Himatangi then too. my fam has a dairy farm in Taikorea. I look forward to catching-up and knowing more about your Rally experiences.

Biggles: I think my Missus enjoys some wife-time, just as much as I enjoy some bike-time. Agree on the Spot - such a great little device. I look forward to catching-up and perhaps talking Hondas with you.

Foxton1

Premier Member
Thanks 'drain, I'm certainly soaking-up as much info as I can. Also been listening to old episodes of the Long Riders Radio podcast. Amazing stuff.

ACTCapo: I was quite partial to the Kola and Raspberry flavours, yes! Looks like my next big ride will be the Autumn Equinox. I see you have been doing the 4 Seasons Award rides too. :cool: