New Member n I submitted documentation on SS 1000

Special Wing

Premier Member
Hello all I am a new forum member from Nashville, TN. I have been “lurking around” this and other long distance riding forums for awhile. I enjoy reading other riders experiences, how they plan their rides, how they prepare mentally, physically and of course how they prepare their rides. I think it is deep in my personality to challenge myself. It seems even with “hobbies” I find avenue to challenge myself. An example is I took up fishing again as adult (beyond the cane pole, bobber and container of worms as youngster) and before long I was trying to win fishing tournaments. So I guess I should not question turning a leisurely weekend joy of riding into this!

So with that being said I “secretly” started studying how to pull off a long distance ride. I still do not brag or discuss with non-motorcycle riders that I was planning or attempted this. It gets the same look/thoughts as I give a person who tells me “i just ran a 26.3 mile marathon and I am planning on doin another on my next vacation in Florida where there are no hills to run up”.

I studied routes. I did practice rides ( all under 500 miles/day) and the limiting factor seemed to be seating on the seat that long. I got highway pegs to stretch out the legs, tried gel cushion as well as beaded seat. I shifted weight, I may have looked like I was doing pilates going down highway in trying to shift weight off my butt.

I studied times of year to attempt this and wanted as much day light as possible and looked at times of the month where full moon was happening. A limiting aspect was getting all family obligations taken care of so that I did not put my motorcycle riding at higher priority than those around me thought it should be.

Sometimes in life you just have to set the date, quit planning and pull the trigger. The “stars aligned”, I had 15+ hours of daylight, I had the time, 20% chance of scattered showers and the interstate was open for business.

I was up at 3:20 am, dressed and having light breakfast that yes coffee and out the door to nearest gas station. Start was 4:01 am!
I had looked at southern route towards the Gulf coast with the thought of if I got tired I could at least be at the “beach”. I was watching weather and temperatures in the area and low 90’s was unavoidable. I am from the south and do not think twice about the heat and humidity but I do recognize “direct sun” vs “shady spot”. The temperature on northern route was a high of 82 for the day. That was the deciding factor. The night before I had taped planned gas stops on windshield with mileage between each.

I was excited yet cautious in the first 70 miles. It was dark and deer “country” as I had traveled that I-24 stretch many a time and seen carcasses routinely. Once the sun started up I picked up the pace, traffic was light and I was constantly doing math in my head about my pace. Crossing the Ohio River traffic was none factor. I was gaining confidence and the battle between my mind and my butt was under control. I liked this route because it was flat, straight, no big metropolitan area to traverse and scenery was your choice of cornfields or more cornfields. I mean this was riding for a mission not pleasure, I told myself. In Mattoon, IL I based up and opened my soft sided cooler I strapped into pillow seat. Banana, protein bar, flavored water. I got out of helmet and hi viz mesh jacket and stretched my legs taking 10 min break. I noticed I was at least 2mi from interstate and made mental note to plan better next time. But I had a plan and was sticking to it.

My trip odometer passed 500 miles long before reaching Galesburg, IL and I was tempted to exit earlier than planned. I had read about inaccuracies of motorcycle odometers so I quickly dismissed the part of my mind that entertained that idea. At the turn around point the big bottle of flavored water at the last gas stop made for a brisk walk directly to men’s room. Thank goodness it was unoccupied, it was 1 holer too or there would have been “clean up aisle 3” over the intercom. There was nice shady spot off to the side of gas station and I parked the Wing in shade while I broke out lunch. I felt good, traffic was uneventful except 11 miles of one lane interstate west of Peoria, IL that was 45 mph speed limit. Back on road after short break.

Fourth stop has fruit snack and hydrated again. I saw a lot of motorcycles headed west which I assumed they were headed to Sturgis Rally. Some double and singles and few bigger groups of 8+ bikes. Commercial traffic seemed to be heavier east of St. Louis areas. I intersected with two interstate highway between St, Louis and Indianapolis as well as St. Louis and Louisville. Traffic seemed heavier there.

Start 4:01 am, Nashville, odo 22,804
First stop 6:42 am, Vienna, IL, odo 22,981
Second stop 9:18 am, Mattoon, IL, odo 23,145
Third stop 12:16 pm, Galesburg, IL, odo 23,339
Fourth stop 3:08 pm, Tuscola, IL, odo 23,501
Fifth stop 6:03 pm, Vienna, IL, odo 23,691
End 8:55 pm, Nashville, IL, odo 23,866

Wish me luck all is approved by IBA. I keep second guessing their process and my thinking. Witness signed am
Nd all pictures of DBR in photo of odometer.

Mike

A well thought out ride. Congratulations on completing the ride. Now comes the really hard part, waiting for the ride to be processed.

Plan the next ride.

-Mark

Special Wing

Premier Member
A well thought out ride. Congratulations on completing the ride. Now comes the really hard part, waiting for the ride to be processed.

Plan the next ride.

-Mark
Mark,
I have my eye on another SS 1000 out of Memphis coming up. I would love to do Big As Texas event but my calendar is crowded around that time.

Mike

Tim Harkins

Premier Member
Way to go Mike. If I calculated your time correctly, I can make 2 assumptions. One, there must not have been any roses to stop and smell along the route. Two, you don’t need a lawnmower, appears you didn’t let any grass grow under your wheels.