NEW Spotwalla

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The gpx in question was a direct export from basecamp. I was able to use the kml because I loaded that same gpx file to my maps and then exported as kml. I suppose I could export as kml, but really, I do most of my work in GPX, so I was hoping that this would be a capability. I'll do a bit more discovery, but I'll probably send you the file later this weekend.

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
It is amazing how much unnecessary overhead most GPX creators stuff in there. A quick and careful cleanup with a text editor to eliminate the fluff can often reduce the file size by 75%.

FLHXHS

Premier Member
@Jason Jonas - Hello,
Just did the switchover. Guessing the old stuff can be deleted..? [old app, forget the old webpage].
I dunno - can the old unneeded data [messages] be removed? Like the messages not attributed to a trip?
Lastly - If I rename my phone - do I need to reset my tracking again?
There was a funny issue with adding a friend. I guess both need to send a request. We got it sorted.

Looks good.

Thank you
Harry

Jason Jonas

Premier Member
IBR Staff
@FLHXHS Howdy, Harry.

Glad you got switched over and like the new site. Make sure you're satisfied with the move from the old system. Since you only have an SWConnect/SWTracker device, there's no need to do anything on the old site. Just stop using the old SWConnect app and everything's cool. Eventually, it will go away.

I was going to make the import process a little more intelligent and give users the option to only import locations on a trip, but went the easy route and imported everything. That's why that Messages page says everything will be imported. :)

You can rename your device all day long. There should not be a need to restart tracking. You may notice the old name in SWTracker, but it will likely refresh the next time you start the app or choose your device.

Friends are a little different than before. You're correct. Both parties must submit a separate friend request.

BigLew55

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
@BigLew55

It seems best to start with rich KML markup rather than GPX. The converters I'm using may not know how to convert or may simply ignore certain GPX/KML elements. Also, I'm seeing GPX data that's rife with extension data. It only means something to the system/vendor that generated it. For instance, turn-by-turn detail in the HD Planner GPX data. Without writing custom code to translate each type of extension data, that detail is ignored.

I'd like to take a look at the original GPX file you were loading. If you think about it, email it to me - [email protected]. Thanks.
The same file was loaded and displayed properly this morning during my research. Could have been an id10t error, but I suspect that something was updated/tweaked on your side?

At any rate, the new site is looking awesome! I'll go to the old one to deactivate my SPOT as mentioned in on of the communications.

I think I might need a little help here.
As described, I created a new account on the new Spotwalla site.
I downloaded SwTracker, but when I want to open it, it asks me to log in, even though I haven’t been able to create a account on SwTracker. Tried my details from SwConnect, but that seems not to work.
Have I misunderstood something, oe]r am I doing something wrong?

CB650F

Premier Member
I used my details from the new spotwalla site, not from the old swconnect app. It worked fine for me. Should work for you as well.

FLHXHS

Premier Member
Apparently, there are two different SWTracker apps in Apple's App Store. Be sure to download/install the one from RVTechTools.com.
View attachment 6340
@Jason Jonas - just to add; when using the New Spotwalla for the first time you are creating a new account on the New Spotwalla webpage correct? I know I did this last weekend, but to clarify a new user/profile/sign on is required correct?

Thank you
Harry

Jason Jonas

Premier Member
IBR Staff
@Jason Jonas - just to add; when using the New Spotwalla for the first time you are creating a new account on the New Spotwalla webpage correct? I know I did this last weekend, but to clarify a new user/profile/sign on is required correct?

Thank you
Harry
Absolutely. This is an entirely new system so the first step is to create an account. After logging in, there's an option to import your devices, data, etc from the old system.

outdoorsntn

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Jason: With new Spotwalla, am I missing it or is there no long an option to allow public to download trip data? I ask because of the Spotwalla protocol for rides where Spotwalla use is mandatory.
Thanks,
Doug Vance
Cordova, TN

IBA-Tiger

Nicely done Jason - much thanks!
Followed the 'instructions', all prior data transferred, and did a little test ride yesterday - worked a treat!
Now to figure out how to get to 10 minute notifications instead of 5 mins.

Jason Jonas

Premier Member
IBR Staff
Nicely done Jason - much thanks!
Followed the 'instructions', all prior data transferred, and did a little test ride yesterday - worked a treat!
Now to figure out how to get to 10 minute notifications instead of 5 mins.
If you're using Bubbler or SWTracker, you can change the frequency. In Bubbler, click on Settings (upper left) and then click Update Frequency. Not sure where it is in SWTracker, but I know it's in there somewhere.

Georgemowry

Happy Motorcyclist
Premier Member
IBA Member
Gre
I did some testing last night using multiple tracking devices ( Two Spot 3's ) on one trip with a ride to Key West. My Spotwalla link is below.

https://new.spotwalla.com/trip/396c-65680-0077/view[/QUOTE travel man: do you just go from spot to spotwalla? I have been using SW connect as a middle step on my old system. I just switched to new spotwalla and did not use SW connect. Will that work? Thanks in advance. Ps hope to see you at Jacksonville Beach at the IBA party. G.