NEW Spotwalla

OK, does anyone have any recommendations for a place to upload images for Spotwalla? Apparently, you can't get a direct link to images from Google Drive (or it's otherwise a huge pita to try to generate one).

I used to use Imgur in the past when I needed off-site image hosting, but they changed and you now have to use the app and it became a pita.

I just want some simple, free image hosting, preferably if I can just use it in my mobile browser and not have to have the app to use. Tried a Google search, but so far, half the image hosting recommendations are a huge pain to get a direct image link, they all want you to open in their viewer and only generate indirect links for their internal viewer.

I found one, Imgbb, but it keeps wanting to upload my pictures sideways (even though nothing else for uploading wants to turn them sideways). I don't want to have to manually edit 17 pics before uploading, I don't see a native rotation option.

Last edited:
I have an Android phone and it comes preloaded with Google Photos and that is were I store all of my photos and you can get a direct link to each photo using the Google Photo App on the phone or your desktop.

Amnon Romano

Premier Member
Try Google Photos, put the images in a separate album, make that album shareable (under "options"), and then get individual image link for sharing. Tell us the outcome...

Well, I am on the Google Photos app now and I don't see where to upload or create folders online, it's just showing images on my device. I decided to create a shareable folder but when I click to add images (I have all images separated into a folder), it doesn't show all images on my device and it only shows a roll, doesn't show an option to browse by folder. Google Photos app is proving to be a nightmare already... not at all simple or intuitive.

I'm also not seeing any way in the app or the website in the browser to get a direct image link, only indirect viewer links. I'm also not seeing a way to just have a basic folder online where I can keep them all organized, the "library" just shows the images on my device.

Last edited:
I can't even tell half of what you're doing in that video, but it looks like a huge nightmare pita again to add photos.

I figured out now how to get them online.

Regardless, I got an image on there, but when I click the image, it doesn't give a direct image link, only a link that opens the image in the Google Photos viewer, and there's no available option for a direct link on mine.

If this is misplaced, please nudge me in the right direction, the search led me to this topic,

I have a new Gen4 Spot, using the new Spotwalla and am having problems with XML feeds. It seems Spot or the parent company now has a new map feature for sharing which is not exactly an XML feed.

So is there a way to generate the link provided in the new mapping feature so that Spotwalla will pull that info? I've tried the hyperlink and also the six or seven digit letter combination at the end of the link separately, neither seems to work.

WhereIsBobL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Is there a way, when uploading GPX data, to upload the point types as well. If I export a trip, then import it later, all track points are the same. No Food, Help or other message type. The point type is saved in a CSV, but that cannot be uploaded. There is also no way to change point type after the fact, so no way to add that detail there, which would be an alternate option.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm not exactly sure what you want to do, but you might try Postimage.org it's free and gives you lots of options. I use it when I need to post an image or photo somewhere that won't host the actual image/photo.

WhereIsBobL

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm not exactly sure what you want to do, but you might try Postimage.org it's free and gives you lots of options. I use it when I need to post an image or photo somewhere that won't host the actual image/photo.
When you use Bubbler, SWTracker, Spot Tracker or InReach, etc. there are different kinds of messages. Track, Help, Food, Gas etc. In Spotwalla, those messages are shown with an icon. When you export your data to CSV the message types are saved, but not when you export as a GPX. If you then import those points back into Spotwalla, say into a "Generic Device", it won't show the point type since the GPX file does not have the track type, it will not show those details. So if combining trips, or editing out points from the GPX that you would rather not have shown or adding points, such as where you stopped, those point details are lost. I could not find anything in the GPX Schema that could help, and didn't really think I would.

I am assuming this is not currently possible, but if it is, I would like to know how. Thought I would ask here rather than just send Jason a request as I thought there might be a power user here that could help and I have bothered Jason enough.

Bob L

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
That gives me a better understanding of what you're wanting to do. Sorry to not be of help. I don't use GPX files or create trips on the computer to transfer to the GPS, so my skills in those areas are lacking. I will be attempting to move GPX files of Pressed Penny locations from the computer to the GPS in the near future. I'm hoping it will end up as saved locations like rally bonus files do.

Jason Jonas

Premier Member
IBR Staff
Is there a way, when uploading GPX data, to upload the point types as well. If I export a trip, then import it later, all track points are the same. No Food, Help or other message type. The point type is saved in a CSV, but that cannot be uploaded. There is also no way to change point type after the fact, so no way to add that detail there, which would be an alternate option.
Hey, Bob.

When importing GPX data all trkpt elements are assumed to be tracking locations since they're part of a GPX track. All wpt elements can have a name attribute. If the name attribute contains CUSTOM, HELP, TRACK or OK then we're able translate that to the appropriate location type in SpotWalla. If that's not the behavior you're seeing, send me ([email protected]) the GPX file you're trying to load and we'll figure out the issue.

Godspeed

On the new spotwalla website it says garmin devices need bubbler and Spot devices need SWTracker. This is how I read it. I am using an ios device and want to use a Garmin Inreach mini. Will that work?

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
On the new spotwalla website it says garmin devices need bubbler and Spot devices need SWTracker. This is how I read it. I am using an ios device and want to use a Garmin Inreach mini. Will that work?
You read the table incorrectly. Read it as a column not a row. Android needs bubbler and iphone needs SWTracker. Garmin and Spot are independent and do not need anything else.

The website

Attachments

Brookester

Premier Member
In case you have not yet received an email from SpotWalla:
The SpotWalla Newsletter for 2021 is now available for viewing. In it we discuss where we started and what the future holds for SpotWalla - including when SpotWalla will become a paid-for service. Please click the button below to view the newsletter.
Newsletter 2021, Vol 1

If that button doesn't work for you, copy the link below and paste it into your favorite browser's address bar.
https://new.spotwalla.com/news/2021/1
Thanks,
SpotWalla Support

MotoToph

Mototoph
Premier Member
Although, I do like free, I appreciate the time and money you (@Jason Jonas) have provided on making this incredible service! I am new to Spotwalla (3 months) and found it very useful! I wish I had used it sooner. I will continue to use it as a paid service because of how great it is. Thank you for making it paid as opposed to a service bombarded with ads and for the continued support for those that wish to use it for events.