New to forum with a question

This is my first post. I have been reading and learning for a while. I have not found a place to introduce my self on this forum so I will do it here. I am a 67 year old retired firefighter from Middleburg Fl. I been riding for 53 years legally but did not get into LD riding till overcoming a battle with cancer back in 2002. I have done quite a few rides that would have qualified for an IBA cert. if I had done the registration. I finally did my first certified one at the Jax Party a couple of weeks ago. It was a lot of fun and a lot easier than I thought it would be. Thanks in part to Jerry Wells who helped me and a friend out a ton. Since this is a Q&A forum, I do have one at this time. It was my understanding that I would receive a IBA number in an e-mail for which I have been looking. I have not received one yet. How long does that take? Thanks

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Welcome Bob and congratulations on joining the insanity.

I can't help you with how long but it'll be sooner than you think :)

BMWguy

IBA Member
Hey Capt!!
Welcome...
The IBA staff stays pretty busy with ride certs and general business - plus I'm sure they are also working on details for the IBR next year.
I don't recall my number coming in an email - seems like it came with my first SS1000 cert in the mail - but it's been a few years and I'm an old guy as well!
I'd give it a couple of weeks - then email the staff and see what's up. They are a great bunch to speak with and have always been way more than just "helpful" to me when I was first starting out.

Welcome to the LD community!
Mike

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
Welcome & Congratulations Bob.

Ya, sometimes it takes awhile to get your certs. But that won't prevent you from doing your second certified ride. Just put down "pending" for your IBA number on your paperwork.

Won't help with this one, however, maybe your next one - become a Premier Member. I remember reading that if you use large letters and write, "premier member" on the envelope of your certification request, you would probably be attended to much quicker. Besides, it includes a subscription to the great IBA magazine!

Won't help with this one, however, maybe your next one - become a Premier Member. I remember reading that if you use large letters and write, "premier member" on the envelope of your certification request, you would probably be attended to much quicker. Besides, it includes a subscription to the great IBA magazine!
I think you have to be a "member" with a number before you can become a "Premier Member" but I could be wrong.

True. That's why I was saying that it might cut a little time off of the verification time of your next one. This one you just have to wait. I watched the checking account everyday for the check to clear.

This was helpful as far as understanding the timeline. I submitted my package electronically (e-mail) and got a "received" email but have not heard anything about payment or status. I figured I would have to wait until processing was done before I got my number. My question, how do we get a flag and can/do we get one with our number on it? I'm doing another SS1000 in a few months (this time with my wife) and would love to have a flag for that.

Thanks in advance
Jeff

BMWguy

IBA Member
Jeff,
Once your ride documents are processed and affirmed you will get an IBA membership number. At that point you will receive login information and can then access the IBA store to purchase a flag.
From what I understand, the cost of printing a flag with your personal IBA number on it is just too cost prohibitive. The flag numbers are therefore chosen at random.

Hope this helps,

Mike

That's what I was thinking, thank you for confirming that for me. It might be cool to have one with my number for nostalgic reasons... maybe sometime down the road I'll get one made

BMWguy

IBA Member
Before your do - I'd check with Ira or Michael for permission to use the IBA logo.
Just a thought... I have no idea if that's "acceptable" or not.

Obviously I would get permission to use trademarked logos and realistically for accuracy reasons I would have someone arrange for it to be made and I would just pay for it... this is probably 5-10 years from now so its just a thought I'll probably forget about the next time I fall asleep.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
The flag is a nice thing to have, but certainly not required. If you get into the rally scene, you will acquire rally flags from different events. Many events have moved to placards, which are cheaper to print and create, as well as send digitally.

As a personal souvenir, I would not be too concerned about using the artwork to get a flag made with your IBA number. I'm sure Ira can better speak to that issue though.

Ira

Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
IBR Staff
The flag is a nice thing to have, but certainly not required. If you get into the rally scene, you will acquire rally flags from different events. Many events have moved to placards, which are cheaper to print and create, as well as send digitally.

As a personal souvenir, I would not be too concerned about using the artwork to get a flag made with your IBA number. I'm sure Ira can better speak to that issue though.
We typically do not grant permission to use Iron Butt Association intellectual property (phrases, logos, etc.) for the production of personal items such as you describe.

Ira Agins
Iron Butt Association