New touring duds

Morrissey

Hey all. I am starting to consider some new riding gear. I've had the same Joe Rocket leather jacket (all black, no idea of the name) since '03. It has served me quite well and still looks great, but I'm thinking I want something more touring focused, which is why I am posting in this forum vs the general forum. I'm looking for something that is already waterproof so I don't have to stop and fiddle with an uncomfortable rain shell or my Frogg Toggs. It needs to have good ventilation too as my ST1300 can get toasty in the summer time!

I am primarily looking at the Klim Latitude (2018 updated version). It sounds like it ticks all of the right boxes, waterproof with ventilation that has rain covers for all zippers. Lots of pockets, some CE padding. Anyone here spent some time living with a Klim riding suit in general or a latitude specifically? There are a few places within 100km where I can go try them on which is a huge plus. https://www.klim.com/Latitude-Jacket-5146-003

But then I was reading about the Joe Rocket Balistic 14.0 and Meteor jackets (basically the same, one is longer the other). They sound like descent jackets with the same claims as the Klim, but obviously significantly cheaper (like half price cheaper). I've always been happy with my current JR jacket, but somehow think the Balistic/Meteor won't compete with the Klim. Also, for some reason JR does not offer a matching pant which is a huge strike against it. http://joerocket.ca/product/ballistic-14-textile-jacket/

I know that the "gold standard" for touring is Aerostich. I think the Klim Latitude is a little better looking than the Roadcrafter suit (IMO) and if I'm going to spend $1,600+CAN on new gear, I want to try it on before I buy it rather than have it sent to my house, be unhappy with the fit and have to return it. I'm a little on the stumpy side (5'8" with a 29-30" inseam, 210lbs and finding new gear that fits right has always been a challenge) http://www.aerostich.com/suits/two-...men-s-roadcrafter-classic-two-piece-suit.html

Thoughs?

Scott Parish

Premier Member
Gear is such a personal choice so it is hard to advise. My primary gear is Aerostich Darrien jacket paired with Aerostich ADV pants. I like it; but I would not hesitate to go back to First Gear, Olympia etc. If you feel comfortable with the quality and it doesn't stretch the budget too far - go with what you like.

Morrissey

Further research and a desire to not sleep in the play fort in the backyard over the price of Klim gear has led me to take a look at Olympia gear. Specifically the Richmond jacket https://olympiamotosports.com/en-CA/products/men/jackets/richmond-s-grey and the Sentry pants https://olympiamotosports.com/en-CA/products/men/pants/sentry-36-black.

Anyone here living with Olympia gear, either now or in the past willing to chime in? The jacket seems pretty good but the pants seem pretty basic. Worrying that with no vents I might get pretty toasty wearing them in mid summer.

Greg Rice

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My goal when buying gear is to be sure I purchase gear that I do not need to change when the weather changes. This limits the number of times you have to stop when on long rides. I have been on LD rides that the temperature ranged from 25 to 95 and sunny to heavy rain. I try to have gear that can handle all of that. Of course I may need to put my heated liner on when it gets cold but my outer layer never changes.

Brian Thorn

Premier Member
My goal when buying gear is to be sure I purchase gear that I do not need to change when the weather changes... Of course I may need to put my heated liner on when it gets cold but my outer layer never changes.
I'm similar to that with one exception. I have a Sterns waterproof windbreaker that I bought at a Wally World in Flagstaff in 2009 because I didn't have heated gear and I was freezing. I have used that jacket umpteen times over the years in the rain and the cold (even with heated gear on underneath) and I swear by the extra protection that it gives me from the elements. It does a great job of sealing off the wind. I don't think Sterns makes them any more but you can find old ones on E-Bay.

jsoque

Premier Member
If you are still in the market, I've done two rides on an Olympia Motosports, Odyssey, One Piece Suit. Fit is snug but very functional. I'm 5' 8" and weigh 182 lbs. I have a Medium One Piece Suit in Black w Neon Accents. Gonna wear it for my IBA 2000/48 from Long island, NY to St Louis/ Mississippi River Crossing, and back. Good Luck!

WY88

Premier Member
I'm in pretty good shape regarding clothing, its the darn water proof gloves I lack. What brand, that are dexterous, is recommended. I have one pair I just can't wear, they "hurt", don't think they were designed for riding.

I'm in pretty good shape regarding clothing, its the darn water proof gloves I lack. What brand, that are dexterous, is recommended. I have one pair I just can't wear, they "hurt", don't think they were designed for riding.
Good experience with inexpensive gloves from Cycle Gear i.e. Bilt etc. I have found you don't need to spend a lot for good gloves. Picked-up a new pair of waterproof gloves at Cycle Gear prior to my 48 Plus for less than$30. Had hard rain on 5 of the first 7 days - hands stayed warm and dry. Add a pair of glove liners for $10 bucks and the gloves are good down to low 40's without feeling bulky. I have heated grips which also help. FYI - if you have heated grips; and buy gore tex gloves - don't be surprised when your hands get wet as the heat on the gloves allow moisture to get through.