Night Vision Glasses- worthwhile?

On two-lane primary roads at night, the cars with Xenon blue headlights and pickup trucks that are lifted cause a lot of glare for me. (Pet Peeve -why is it that folks take the time and money to lift a pickup but neglect to re-aim the headlights?) It takes several minutes after passing the oncoming vehicle before I can really see down the highway again. We are talking here about rural highways where traffic is 65 - 70 mph, one lane in each direction, a mix of cars and semi vehicles, and no streetlights.

I was researching the use of a light-yellow tint for my lenses for night riding. It seems that some eye doctors support their use while others don't. Are you using the yellow tint? What has been your experience?

Thanks
-DL

CB650F

Premier Member
Sometimes the headlights are properly aimed, but have the wrong bulbs for the housing. If you have HIDs (Xenons), you need a proper projector for them. They put out so much more light than halogen bulbs so you only want about 10% of the light above the sight line with the rest on the road. Halogen reflectors typically throw about 30% of the light above the sight line. (My percentages might be off there. It's been a while since I've researched it.) Many people get HIDs and put them in the stock halogen reflectors. That ends up putting three times more light than normal above the sight line. It's great for the person driving because they are effectively just driving with their brights on. It's absolutely terrible for oncoming traffic though. HID lights in the stock reflectors is one of the cheapest ways to drastically increase your own visibility. It's also the least safe option due to blinding oncoming traffic.

The people that lift their trucks and modify them in such ways are doing it for themselves. They don't care about the effect on other drivers. They can see better so that's all that matters. It's a symptom of the rampant narcissism you can find here in the US.

I don't think yellow tinted glasses will help you with that issue, but try it and see. No pun intended. Worst case, you waste a few bucks on a failed experiment. Best case, and you've spent a few bucks on a solution to your issue.

I road at night for years with clear glasses. Then I realised I was having trouble with my eyes "resetting" to no oncoming traffic. I tried a pair of SW shooters in yellow and have worn many, many pairs since(not all SW shooters). I just wear them all the time and use the internal sun visor on sunny days. In the forest and such there is quicker response from my eyes going from sun to shade and on and on. A few times I have had to switch to sunglasses because it was just to bright. I can't say they will work for you but I avoid as much night time riding as possible without them.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I've never worn yellow glasses. I have, however, seen Wombattle wear that style of glasses on the most extraordinary range of Iron Butt rides. Truly extraordinary.

If Wom wears them, they must work.

I change into yellow glasses when I ride after dark, if I remember to bring them. I also use them in the rain when I have them. I am not sure they help but the limited research I did said they help.

Mine are a heavy prescription so it was not a cheap experiment. However, I have excellent insurance. My eyes have not changed much over the last few years so I paid the co insurance one year for the yellow lenses instead of my regular lenses. I like to think they help. If I would have had to pay 100% of the cost I am sure I would not have ordered them. I'm too Cheap. LOL

In daylight I use my regular prescription glasses. For sunny riding I drop down my sun shade in my helmet. At times when riding on sunny days, east in the AM or west in the PM, I have stopped to put on my prescription, polarized sunglasses. But usually the sunshade is good enough.

Tep_52

Premier Member
As someone who suffers from photophobia yes they help. At night I wear my yellow lenses to make it so I can focus on the road better when I have to deal with oncoming traffic. It take a lot of the glare and headlight star burst out 9f the equation. During the day you will almost always see me riding with sunglasses on and if I am riding into the sun I will usually have my helmet shade down also

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
My wife had Lasic years ago to correct vision. She doesn't need glasses now, but in part due to the Lasic she has a lot of halo and starburst around lights at night, especially bothersome with the brighter headlights now more common. She got some night glasses with yellow lenses from an ophthalmologist that do help. If she rides or drives at night she wears them. Related to the prescription aspect, if you wear prescription lenses, make sure you discuss near and far vision requirements too. The Wife's far vision is very good with the night glasses, but she can't read the dash stuff any more, which is an annoyance for her. Cost was around $200, but plans and providers vary so much I don't know if that is relevant or just us getting hosed by the insurance we had at the time. (I later discovered it was cheaper to get normal prescription bi-focals for myself from Costco or Walmart w/o using my Ins than it was to use my Ins anywhere else.)

Prescriptions/glasses.
The exam and prescription are usually covered, buying the frame and lens is where I got soaked.
This year I asked for my prescription, then tried Zenni.com. You input your prescription, pick your frame, lens etc. My last pair was $60.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Prescriptions/glasses.
The exam and prescription are usually covered, buying the frame and lens is where I got soaked.
This year I asked for my prescription, then tried Zenni.com. You input your prescription, pick your frame, lens etc. My last pair was $60.
You're a single vision guy. :) Progressive bifocals with anti-fog and some $13 frames quickly made it double that. About what I paid for my last pair from Costco or Walmart.