Nitrogen Filled Tires

Roadglider

Premier Member
Gentlemen and ladies,

I was speaking to a fellow rider yesterday that has over 200k miles of experience. He recommended I fill my tires with nitrogen to prolong the life and for a smoother ride. Please share your opinion.

I just installed Michellin Commander 2's. Got 13,700 on my Stock Dunlop 407/408. Will let you guys know about the Commander 2's when they are retired.

TdLpps

Premier Member
I've got a nitrogen generator at work and use it to fill and top off my tires whenever I need to. There's nothing magical about nitrogen. It's a consistent medium with slightly larger molecules than ambient air. The tire pressure will not vary quite so much as the tires come up to temperature and the argument can be made that tire air pressure will drop slower over time due to leak out.

The biggest benefit is that the nitrogen put into your tires will be perfectly dry and so damp rot and corrosion will not occur inside the rim/tire.

Like I said above, if you have a tire pressure monitoring system and ran your tires back to back with compressed ambient air and then again with nitrogen on same temperature days, the tires will not run as hot and the pressure increase from cold will not be as great with nitrogen as it will with air.

Tire life may be a little better due to consistent pressure and ride may be a little better due to a lower pressure increase when at temperature, but both depend on regular pressure checks. The difference in ride quality probably isn't noticeable for most riders.

Roadglider

Premier Member
I've got a nitrogen generator at work and use it to fill and top off my tires whenever I need to. There's nothing magical about nitrogen. It's a consistent medium with slightly larger molecules than ambient air. The tire pressure will not vary quite so much as the tires come up to temperature and the argument can be made that tire air pressure will drop slower over time due to leak out.

The biggest benefit is that the nitrogen put into your tires will be perfectly dry and so damp rot and corrosion will not occur inside the rim/tire.

Like I said above, if you have a tire pressure monitoring system and ran your tires back to back with compressed ambient air and then again with nitrogen on same temperature days, the tires will not run as hot and the pressure increase from cold will not be as great with nitrogen as it will with air.

Tire life may be a little better due to consistent pressure and ride may be a little better due to a lower pressure increase when at temperature, but both depend on regular pressure checks. The difference in ride quality probably isn't noticeable for most riders.
Thank you for the info, it definitely helps. I am buying the Zumo 595LM with the tire pressure monitoring system in the first half of May. That will assist in maintaining tire pressure. So far it sounds like a good idea. I will wait to see if anyone has had any negative experiences with nitrogen.

TdLpps

Premier Member
You'll like the 595LM (I use one for my primary) and the tire pressure monitor is good. I've got mine configured so the front and rear tire pressure are displayed on the right side of the map screen. It's nice to keep track of and interesting to watch pressure rise and fall with speed and temperature.

Roadglider

Premier Member
You'll like the 595LM (I use one for my primary) and the tire pressure monitor is good. I've got mine configured so the front and rear tire pressure are displayed on the right side of the map screen. It's nice to keep track of and interesting to watch pressure rise and fall with speed and temperature.
I am looking forward to using this GPS on future rides. I am installing a set of Yaffe's 12" Monkey Bars on my FLTRU, and the hard wire for 595LM.

Tep_52

Premier Member
As a professional mechanic I will add my two cents. While nitrogen is more stable than regular compressed air. I can't justify the cost knowing that the second I add regular air it is all wasted. For my money I chose to just use good clean dry air

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
I have always been a little worried about the availability of nitrogen and was told - while you can mix the gases in your tire; it can then throw off your TPMS.
Um, really? :confused: A TPMS is not going to measure those molecules bouncing around in that tire any differently - how can that be??

I'll keep filling my bike tires with good ol' 78% N² / 21% O², since that's the only ratio that my portable compressor can put into those tires when I'm on the road someplace. :cool:

Costco will continue to fill my auto tires with >95% N², since that's what they use.

TdLpps

Premier Member
Yup. Like I said above, nothing magic about nitrogen. I get it for free and use it for the slight benefits it gives.

Compressed air from a small, portable compressor contains little moisture. Compressed air from a shop compressor with a tank that isn't drained regularly enough and doesn't have a dryer is gonna be really wet -- the kind you might run into if you need air in an emergency. That can be a problem with TPMS sensors and inner rim surfaces.

I carry a small compressor with me when I ride and won't hesitate to use it in the middle of a trip. No problem with mixing and the air it produces is just fine.

Um, really? :confused: A TPMS is not going to measure those molecules bouncing around in that tire any differently - how can that be??

I'll keep filling my bike tires with good ol' 78% N² / 21% O², since that's the only ratio that my portable compressor can put into those tires when I'm on the road someplace. :cool:

Costco will continue to fill my auto tires with >95% N², since that's what they use.
As long as I'm off the rim - I'm happy. Could we use helium to make the bike lighter? :)

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
As long as I'm off the rim - I'm happy. Could we use helium to make the bike lighter? :)
In my past life, we used a helium/nitrogen mixture for leak detection. Sadly, the items did NOT get any lighter when the pure helium had to be used for leak identification needs.

I've passed a LOT of helium gas in my life..................wait, stop. o_O

Never mind. :D