No Address on First Receipt

So I finished my first SS1000, which I did all in Washington State, a few months ago. I know one of the most important things to do was make sure the address is on the first receipt, but it was early, cold, excuse, excuse. The receipt does have a Store # on it though.

I contacted ExxonMobil and told them I needed the address that corresponds with the Store #, and they sent me this:

1640207586197.png

Will this be enough to validate my receipt?

Thanks.

1640207714928.png

I submitted my first SS1k with receipts that only had station number. I looked up address on internet and included in ride report. Ride approved. Just submitted nested SS1k and BunBurner with the same type of receipt and same info in report. Waiting on approval.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
+1 to the above. It's fairly common for a pump receipt to only show a station number.

Also, I'm curious to know if a duplicate receipt printed at the cash register would have shown a location. In the future, that may be a solution.

Another thing to check is that the entire city name is shown. I once had a receipt that left off the "Heights" for the location. Another city without the "Heights" was located a bit south and the IBA questioned me about that. The zip code on the receipt was correct for the "Heights" so that problem was easily corrected.

Carl Hagen

Premier Member
Congratulations on your first! Feels good, right?
JAVGuzzi's suggestion to go inside and get a counter receipt in my experience has almost always solved the address problem.
Is it just my perception or is it getting harder to get pump receipts? It seems like more and more often I'm having to go inside to get a receipt because the printer on the pump is out of paper or otherwise not functional. With all things going digital I suspect this may be a trend.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
It adds a small amount of time, but for cert rides I carry a small notepad with columns I've drawn for the required entries from the receipts that matches the IBA fuel log page. At each stop I fill out the notepad using only the info found on the receipt. If I can't find it on the receipt, it immediately brings that to my attention and I can get an alternate receipt. I also number my receipts #1 through #end and put my odo on the receipt. This keeps them in sequence and helps avoid other errors later, as well as giving me another layer of linear documentation of where I rode.

Keeping the notepad in my tank bag with a pen makes it a quick thing to do w/o removing gloves. And don't use the same spot for keeping your receipts! The last thing you want it to pull something out and have a receipt come with it and blow away.

JAVGuzzi

Premier Member
I also write my GPS trip meter reading on the receipts as well as the odometer reading. On my last IBA ride I also took a pic of my GPS trip meter reading at the end of the ride. I included that with my submission. Not required but more info. is better than not enough. Couldn't hurt, IMO.

With my new Zumo XT, I can take a screen shot, which is a nice feature. On one display, I can take a screen shot of my trip meter AND location GPS coordinates.

Jim SS3K GPS End Pic.jpg XT Screenshot JPG (640 x 360).jpg

Last edited:

Russ Black

Premier Member
Welcome to the IBA!

What you have above should be gold. You have an impartial entity verifying your DBA. I checked the Exxon/Mobil website and I didn't see anywhere you could enter the station number to find out where it was. That receipt has no other markings that a certifier could tie it to. Even a phone number could have worked to link it to a location. These are the little SNAFU's that slow the certification process. We assume that ours is the only ride application they receive with a small hic-cup in it. Wrong. However your alternate "Proof" is a no brainer for the certifier. Good job!

There are many ways to document your rides. Some thing you can do later, others sooner, others depending on the situation. I take a photo of my receipt next to my odometer to include the trip meter, eliminating the need to write it on the receipt. I also do the same with the GPS without the receipt and then reset both trip meters. However, if the sun is shining brightly, the led odometer might not be bright enough to be easily readable so I have a pen tethered and secured with Velcro to my left handlebar (I'm right handed) to write the odo reading just in case. The pen also has a stylist on one end for when the "touchscreen" gloves decide they are not going to be "touchscreen" anymore. I used to fight with the wind and rain getting these photos but I found that placing the receipt in/at the bottom of a clear zip-lock type bag where it can read (On top of the previous ones), and then folding the bag behind it will keep it stiff so you can take the photos in these conditions as well as keeping them safe and in one location.

I've have what happened to you, happen to me. It was just passed midnight and also my starting DBA with the store number and name. I was doing a loop and would be returning to that same station but during the day where I could get another DBA that would tie the two receipts to the same location. Not ideal but it should work. Upon returning I found out that none of the receipts produced by that store have any of the required information. I went to the next closest station and got another DBA that did have all the required information. This is where the photo of the receipt with the odometer becomes invaluable. I included additional sources with my application and all went well.

You didn't say if you did or didn't use a spot tracker. If not may I suggest using Spotwalla. It is an impartial witness to your ride and the certifiers can download the track of the ride and verify it much quicker.

kerrizor

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Funny story - on my 48/10, the pump for my CA stop didn't give a good receipt.. nor did the one inside. I was kind of upset and frustrated, when I noticed that the credit card machine and the cash register inside each gave out DIFFERENT receipts. Since I'd paid with my card, I asked if I could see the receipt for the cash register, and sure enough, it had an actual address on it. I've since noticed this in a few other smaller shops where the card machine receipts offer (at best) a store number, actual register receipts have had an address. Might be an option to try if you get into a pinch with receipts in the future. :shrug:

Stephen!

Flivver Flyer
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Funny story - on my 48/10, the pump for my CA stop didn't give a good receipt.. nor did the one inside. I was kind of upset and frustrated, when I noticed that the credit card machine and the cash register inside each gave out DIFFERENT receipts. Since I'd paid with my card, I asked if I could see the receipt for the cash register, and sure enough, it had an actual address on it. I've since noticed this in a few other smaller shops where the card machine receipts offer (at best) a store number, actual register receipts have had an address. Might be an option to try if you get into a pinch with receipts in the future. :shrug:
ATM. Nearly every gas station has one (or one in the general area). With the amount of Federal control placed on those things, you can be sure that a receipt generated by one will be able to be traced back to its source. You do not need to even do a transaction. A simple balance check will produce a date/time-stamped receipt. Some of them may charge a small fee for that, but in the major scheme of things, is that fee really that important at that point? Many will even produce a slip for just "No Transaction". All(?) are calibrated to network time, which is calibrated to GPS time, which is about as accurate of a time as you can get in the civilian market without buying a cesium beam clock.

EricV

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Remember, a DBR doesn't have to be a gas receipt. That's often the easy one, but you can buy a candy bar, bottle of liquor or what ever and use that receipt too. I have also been guilty of squirting .05 cents of gas on the ground at the station across the street from the one that gave a bad receipt, in order to document a stop/corner with a good DBR.

There is a fine line between Wendover, UT and West Wendover, NV...

Russ Black

Premier Member
I rode two themed SS1Ks last month and had to end the first one in a small town, late at night, before I could start the second one. The pump at the station I selected to refuel the bike didn't have any paper in it. The store part was closed. I move to a different pump and put a few cents of fuel in. The pump spit out a receipt but it was useless. There was a Well Fargo Bank ATM a block away. I pulled out $20 and paid my transaction fee. Beside printing the transaction and my current balance the DBR only thanked me for doing business at Wells Fargo (Not anymore!). No time, no date, no location. Not even a branch or teller number. I had to go down the street to another bank's ATM and Volia! a receipt I could use. So it seems ATM's are not as "guaranteed" as we would like to believe in providing a usable DBR.

igneouss

Premier Member
Iv'e been skunked at gas stations late at night. But I've always had good luck with ATMs. I just do a 'balance check'. I've heard that some gas station DBRs might have a store number in lieu of address. It may be possible to sell that as a good DBR if you can look up the store by number on the internet. I believe some have done this successfully.