No more

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
Boris has stated there will be no more internal combustion engines including hybrid vehicles sold in the UK by 2035 most of us old farts on here will be long gone or too feeble minded to care.
How many power stations will we have to build, charging points will have to be installed in every street, garages converted to mass charge points all in fifteen years.
My point is the next generation of IBAUK riders or drivers as there might not be any motorcycles will have to rethink endurance riding/driving i.e what will be the minimum number of charge points you visit for a saddle sore ride, any more ideas?

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
Isn't Boris dead in a ditch? I don't think we need be too concerned about his promises.

But I do hope we're not going to indulge in politics here though eh.

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
Don't know if you saw the news but the Government has confirmed that motorcycles aren't included in the ban.
At least, that's the story this week!

jaybee

Latvian rider transport!!!!!!
Premier Member
That's a whole other story. The Govt. make a big thing about the ban applying to all new cars but how long will it be before fuel duty is hiked and they implement a country wide fossil fuel vehicle usage charge of £20 a day. The multi-millionaires with their classic Ferraris will still pay it but other pro buggers who can't afford a new electric car will be driven (no pun intended) into further poverty as they won't be able to get to work.
Your point about the installation of 10+ million charging stations and the power stations required to feed the increased demand is well taken but not only that but where are the precious metals going to come from? We are already short cobalt and copper. Will this mean stepping up mining (aka raping of the land)?
Typically the Govt. has gone after the easy targets.
My old Lancia is 36 years old and has done 60,000 miles in that time at say an average of 27mpg.
Your average Eddie Stobart HGV will do 600 miles a day at about 9 mpg.
So in just about 30 days, one lorry will have burnt as much fossil fuel as my 36 year old car.
Interesting data from an article I read:
UK is responsible for 2% of global emissions.
Cars and bikes are responsible for only 0.1% of that 2%.
One day's flights out of Heathrow exceed the emissions of all the cars on UK roads in a year.
Concentrating on London and the ULEZ: Petrol cars and bikes of all types and ages account for just 6% of central London's NOX problem.
Older petrol vehicles will be a tiny fraction of that 6%
Domestic gas heating and diesel cars make up 12%
TFL's own buses equate to 10%
non-road machinery (e.g. cement mixers and the like) make up 7%
ULEZ allows Euro 4 vehicles (from 2006) and pre-1980 classics through in the car world and Euro 3 for bikes which is roughly 2007 and again pre 1980.
That means there are 26 / 27 years worth of cars / bikes that are going to get shafted.
I personally have 6 bikes and 1 car that fit into that no-man's land but for me they are a hobby and I don't have to ride in London. However, I have a mate who does property maintenance and he drives around in an '05 Berlingo diesel with 190k miles worth about £500.
He can't really afford to buy something new.
Anyway, I could go on but I shan't.
In short, I agree with you.

Ahamay

The Joker
IBA Member
All the trucks and buses that fall outside the ULEZ emissions are being exported to Africa, Asia, India, China and all the other big polluters where Greta Tunberg will not dare go so the whole thing is a farce, a classic case of the govt picking off the low hanging fruit to make themselves look good.

Ian M

as the sun gets older, its gets bigger and hotter, so climate change is an inevitable consequence. All we can do is slow the rate of change, picking on soft targets will not make any difference in the long-run, but makes everyone in or around 'power' feel all gooey and good about themselves and allows certain political leaning think tanks and university departments to have a lot of cash and staff and gives them a voice so they can spout crap and wind up the propaganda machine so MoPs are frightened of their own shadows - like the current radio adverts running for shell petroleum

its also an easy way for governments to raise taxes and look good at the same time. Agree with the above comments to many people just listen to the mainstream media on all topics, and are conditioned to accept a view of a topic whether it is based on some if any of the facts.
as always if someone tells you something challenge and question that view before making a decision "who said it when and what did that person base the statement on and how extensive was the research "

“I can prove anything by statistics
except the truth.” George Canning (1770 – 1827)

electric cars may seem like a good idea but no one mentions the rare heavy metals required or what you do with the waste of millions if not billions of batteries afterwards

it would appear the world is warming is it due to emissions or a natural cycle the earth goes through.

saphena

IBAUK Webmaster
Staff member
Premier Member
IBA Member
My 2c worth, based on no scientific knowledge at all, is that:-

a) the climate is changing, it's noticeably different now than it was when I was young
b) I'm quite sure that we are not entirely responsible for that change
c) I don't doubt that we are partly responsible for that change
d) burning finite resources can't go on forever
e) wasting resources and failing to clean up after ourselves is both immoral and a recipe for disaster
f) me riding my motorcycle around will make absolutely no difference whatsoever
g) politicians are poor scientists and political logic is more often than not utter bollocks