Now for the hard part.

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member
Congratulations, but disagree with it being the 'hard part'. It's actually pretty easy, in my mind.

What might be tougher is your ride report! :D Seriously, tell us how the ride went (did you take any photos while on your ride to share?)

How was your head at hour one versus hour 15 (or 17 or...) and what made you decide to do one?

Kylearane

Premier Member
Congrats. I completed my first SS1K in September of 2018 and was hooked. I spent the winter months planning future rides for 2019 while waiting for approval. The premier membership is worth it if your going to do more rides. One of my ride submissions was approved in one day. Others took three to five weeks, but I think it was because I submitted those rides around the time of the IBR.

I'm not much for putting thoughts on paper so to speak, but here goes. I've wanted to do an SS1k for awhile now. My daughter recently moved to Colorado and my (long suffering) wife green lighted a ride to visit. Perfect time to make the attempt , as the destination was just over 1400 miles away.
My start time was 4:14am EST from Saxonburg Pa. The ride started great and stayed that way 'till a bit east of Effingham Il. I ran into some heavy rain and wind, so I stopped until it let up enough to see and I got back on I70. About 15-20 miles I realized I was on I70 E..and headed back into the storm. A bit of cursing and a u-turn got me straightened out. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. I got to Abilene KS at 9:39 CST, got my witness form signed and did a little happy dance in the parking lot. I wasn't as tired or sore as I thought I'd be and my bike was flawless. The only pictures I took were of the odo and receipts from the start and finish. I have video also of parts of the ride but have yet to figure out how to post them.

Jim Craig

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Congratulations. I've made the trek across KS on I70 many times on STL to Denver runs. A boring and windy ride. The last time I rode home from Denver I went north to Cheyenne just to avoid KS.

I'm feeling it already. And if for some reason I don't get this one, I'm ready to try again. Prior to this, my longest day was just over 500 miles... Doing 1000 wasn't bad at all. Good luck on your ride!

kwthom

=o&o>
Premier Member
IBA Member

cacomly

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
I'm not much for putting thoughts on paper so to speak, but here goes. I've wanted to do an SS1k for awhile now. My daughter recently moved to Colorado and my (long suffering) wife green lighted a ride to visit. Perfect time to make the attempt , as the destination was just over 1400 miles away.
My start time was 4:14am EST from Saxonburg Pa. The ride started great and stayed that way 'till a bit east of Effingham Il. I ran into some heavy rain and wind, so I stopped until it let up enough to see and I got back on I70. About 15-20 miles I realized I was on I70 E..and headed back into the storm. A bit of cursing and a u-turn got me straightened out. The rest of the ride was pretty uneventful. I got to Abilene KS at 9:39 CST, got my witness form signed and did a little happy dance in the parking lot. I wasn't as tired or sore as I thought I'd be and my bike was flawless. The only pictures I took were of the odo and receipts from the start and finish. I have video also of parts of the ride but have yet to figure out how to post them.
Congrats on the ride.

On the eastbound leg of my 100 CCC I got a hotel room in Ft Stockton TX due to hellacious winds and when I got back on I-10 I headed west for about ten miles until I realized that my distance to finish was going up instead of down

Congrats on the ride.

On the eastbound leg of my 100 CCC I got a hotel room in Ft Stockton TX due to hellacious winds and when I got back on I-10 I headed west for about ten miles until I realized that my distance to finish was going up instead of down
I knew I wasn't the first or only one to head in the wrong direction. I seem to be in good company!

Bill53

Premier Member
While doing the SS1000 Lake huron I learned something about my cheapo GPS and how you can get turned around ! I went past a waypoint, got fuel in Topinabee, MI and as I returned to I-75 it sent me back to that waypoint ..... Got it sorted before too long but could have added an hour to my ride ! If you hven't been lost once ... you are just not trying hard enough.