NZ based ANZAC Ride, 2018 - Thank you.

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Hi,

I'm member #66217 - I live in NZ. I was planning on trying to achieve the ANZAC ride certification as I saw it was open to AU and NZ riders. It would mean a lot to me to be able to do this, and according to the certified rides list, the first in NZ to achieve this.

So I started trying to plan something and quickly realised that it's not achievable in NZ as there is no place name in NZ which begins with the letter Z. - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_towns_in_New_Zealand

There is also a more formal list of all recognised place names from Land Information NZ available here of all NZ place names: https://www.linz.govt.nz/nz-gazetteer/gazcsv.php (a 16MB CSV file). - This is a massive list, it includes places in NZ territories such as NZ managed areas of Antartica etc.. Once whittled down to just the current, and NZ North or South Island places, we're left with this small list:

Zeno Rock, Reef, North Auckland, -36.711352,174.991047
Zetland Basin, Basin, Nelson, -41.394554,172.27931
Zig Zag Stream, Stream, Canterbury, -42.829898,172.244346
Zigzag Creek, Stream, Canterbury, -42.828526,172.244377
Zircon Glacier, Glacier, Westland, -43.752501,169.852505
Zittel Stream, Stream, South Auckland, -37.721437,175.06999
Zurbriggen Col, Pass, Westland, -43.491672,170.175374
Zurbriggen Ridge, Ridge, Canterbury, -43.589935,170.153349

I've searched google maps for each of these by name, none of them appear. I've then searched for each of these by coordinates to see if any of them are even remotely accessible by any type of Road, none of them are.

So while the thinking behind the joint AU and NZ special ride was nice and well intentioned, it is in fact an Australian only thing.

I'm not sure if the joint aspects of this were important enough to the original founders of this ride to consider some form of 'rule change' which would make it jointly achievable or not?... In the spirit of the Trans-Tasman partnership in which it was intended to reflect, it might be worth some consideration??

Thanks for listening.

Chris.

Skidoo

Premier Member
Great to hear that you are interested in this special ride Chris.

Mate; initially we didn't think our brothers/sisters in NZ would have any issue finding a town starting in 'Z', sorry I never confirmed it.

If needed we will 'adapt' the rules allowing riders in NZ to participate in the ANZAC ride. There is a solution and we will get to you in the next week or so.

tj189

Premier Member
Hi,

So while the thinking behind the joint AU and NZ special ride was nice and well intentioned, it is in fact an Australian only thing.

I'm not sure if the joint aspects of this were important enough to the original founders of this ride to consider some form of 'rule change' which would make it jointly achievable or not?... In the spirit of the Trans-Tasman partnership in which it was intended to reflect, it might be worth some consideration??

Thanks for listening.

Chris.
Chris,
Your are correct, it was and is a well intentioned ride and was never set up as an Australian only thing, especially due to the history of the ANZAC's, and our very close ties with New Zealand. So, yes the joint aspects are very important to us.
This ride was always put up for all of us Australian and New Zealand riders and available to be ridden in either of our countries, "The ride can only be done in Australia or New Zealand," .
Having just got off the phone to Karl, I now remember, that we had discussed the use of any one of the Zoo's - Auckland or Wellington as the Z (If you have another suggestion please let us know). We will make an amendment to include the use of the Zoo perspective for our New Zealander close cousins.

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Actually perhaps the best thing would be to invite people to be creative on the ‘Z’ and accept anything with a word starting in Z within the outlet’s receipt title? I personally think the dawn parade attendance and the date are the most important aspects of this special ride.

Thank you all for the consideration you’re showing. It’s appreciated.

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Queenstown airport has code ZQN..... start your journey there.

Chris, hop on a plane and I'll lend you a bike.
Airport codes, I like it, this is along the lines of being generally creative. :) ... There are others which have Z's in them but only this one (Queenstown ZQN) which starts with it...

Thanks for the offer Peter!

Tele

Premier Member
I do appreciate the irony that it's the 'Z' in Zealand which has caused us all of this grief!
LOL .... I think it was the combined efforts of the politicians of Italy, France, Germany, Britain, Austria, Hungary and Russia in 1914 that really caused all the grief ! The "July Crisis of 1914" gets a fair share of credit.

best wishes for your ride effort Chris!

kwaka

Premier Member
What about "The Zig-Zag" in Sumner, Christchurch?

Good luck with this Chris. My partner and I completed the ANZAC day ride 2up last year and it is a ride that holds a very special and meaningful place in our list of rides and in our hearts. TheZigZag.jpg

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
Chris,
Your are correct, it was and is a well intentioned ride and was never set up as an Australian only thing, especially due to the history of the ANZAC's, and our very close ties with New Zealand. So, yes the joint aspects are very important to us.
This ride was always put up for all of us Australian and New Zealand riders and available to be ridden in either of our countries, "The ride can only be done in Australia or New Zealand," .
Having just got off the phone to Karl, I now remember, that we had discussed the use of any one of the Zoo's - Auckland or Wellington as the Z (If you have another suggestion please let us know). We will make an amendment to include the use of the Zoo perspective for our New Zealander close cousins.
Great to hear that you are interested in this special ride Chris.

Mate; initially we didn't think our brothers/sisters in NZ would have any issue finding a town starting in 'Z', sorry I never confirmed it.

If needed we will 'adapt' the rules allowing riders in NZ to participate in the ANZAC ride. There is a solution and we will get to you in the next week or so.
Hi TJ and Karl,

Just wondering if you're happy to potentially allow us to be 'generally creative' with the 'Z' and let us do whatever we need to in order to obtain "proof as per IBA rules" (quoted from the ANZAC Ride rules).

Personally I reckon it would be reasonable to ask people to be creative and see what you get back. :) - If you'd be concerned by that, then maybe ask for submissions ahead of time to ensure that you're going to find them acceptable?

'Proof as per rules' would mean that the location of the receipt provider can be verified using normal mapping tools, and that it has a good computer generated time and date stamp - right? - So notions of visiting road names, streams etc, or even a Zoo, is not going to work (with their limited opening hours etc).

The rules need a proper rewrite in my view, otherwise you're still going to have comments in there expecting 'the first letter of the cities' to spell out ANZAC. Either that, or simply make it an AU only ride?

We have limited A's and C's too. In the Auckland region there is really only Auckland, and Cambridge. There is one tiny place outside of Cambridge, starting with an A - but you'd struggle to get a receipt from that little village https://www.google.co.nz/maps/place...0ef6143a2b260!8m2!3d-38.0697846!4d175.6482983 - You'd certainly be unable to finish your ride at a dawn parade in Cambridge, calling in at Arapuni to pick up a receipt before dawn, there is nothing there, let alone anything open at 5am from which to obtain a receipt.

- We are a LOT smaller than you guys and so our choices are so much more limited.

Additionally you might chose to let us remove 'Te' from the front of Maori place names (which is the word 'The'), and it would open up a heap more, but still none beginning with 'Z's.. (Te Anau could become a suitable 'A' place etc...)

Doing this in NZ is almost the equivalent of you only having Tasmania to perform this in - Although you have 'Zeehan' there... ok, that's therefore a bad example; but imagine having to do this in Tassie, without Zeehan. :)

Chris Wiltshire

Staff Helper
Premier Member
IBA Member
IBR Finisher
You need one set of workable rules for all. - In the spirit of ANZAC partnership, it needs to be the same for both.

What is the single most important aspect of this - being an ANZAC day ride? Was it intended to be:
  • Overcoming the planning and execution complexities spelling ANZAC? or,
  • that we both marked the day, by riding on ANZAC Day, and as part of our ride attend a Dawn Ceremony?
- I think this could be simplified tremendously; perhaps just ask for photographic evidence of the parade portion and drop the lettered cities?

49 days to go... :)

Gatey

Premier Member
IBA Member
Chris Ive just re read this topic and to be honest youve been given some good value input that is asking you to be creative and perhaps look at other proof of location at time and date and location.
Please move past the anchore of a computer generated docket for the Z issue mate. Overcome the Z issue with a SPOT, a photo of your GPS showing coords, send yourself an email with those items and make use of the premier member evidence gathering format. Your well good to use the start and finish witness test program. Make use of that to help prove your place at that location at that time.
ANZAC stands for other human aspects. Persevere, endure and overcome any and all problems. Mateship is just part of that mix.
Find and airport like Ox34 gave you or a zoo or a servo with a Z and then use what tools you have at hand.
Mate I've two rides planned for this year and both have nothing but a gid co-ordinate. Nothing what so ever to create a docket...but people live there and they will most likely sign a pre printed witness form for that location. At one place Ill photograph the brand on the cattle too maybe a pic of the loading yards too.
See there is always a way round these issues. Good thing to pmp some extra K's into any ride that's got hard to make corners too.

Good luck a dry roads for your trip. Im looking forward to the RReport.

OX-34

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hi TJ and Karl,

...........We have limited A's and C's too. In the Auckland region there is really only Auckland, and Cambridge. There is one tiny place outside of Cambridge, starting with an A - but you'd struggle to get a receipt from that little village............:)
Chris we're trying to find solutions for you here.. Can you help us out a bit? Where are you located - Auckland? Roughly where do you want to do this 1600km ride?

Here's 10 minutes of looking for a 1626km ride:

Auckland
(Gisborne for a corner docket)
Napier
Zealandia Ecosanctuary near Wellington
Awakino Junction Service station - call +64 6752 9885 to make sure they have 24 hour machine.
Cambridge.

Don't forget to loop west of Mt Taranaki to get the extra 40 or so kays.

https://www.google.com.au/maps/dir/...b9d0!2m2!1d175.4671792!2d-37.891119!3e0?hl=en