NZ Mail Run

Skidoo

Premier Member
Late last year I needed to escape, I had a week off the following month, what should I do?

I decided on a ride that Wombattle and I attempted the previous year, ‘I dropped the ball’ and I never completed the ride. Disappointed Wombattle was out of the country and I only had a small window of opportunity to make all the arrangements and have another go.

What did we do before the Internet? Within two hours I confirmed, booked and paid for a bike, not my first choice but at short notice beggars can’t be choosers and made flight bookings. Everything was done and dusted before morning tea, yep up to my usual approach I didn’t tell Jo as I didn’t want to worry her again lol ;)

Packing commenced a few days from departure, being a ‘little’ put out was a fair statement on how Jo felt however did the fire start when New Zealand was mentioned in the conversation! :eek:

My SPOT fell over on the transport leg to the commencement point, the brass battery terminal broke clean off as I replaced it with fresh batteries.

As usual it was overcast as I departed on the first leg on the North Island, then it rained and rained some more to say the least for another four or five hundred kilometers. It wasn't as heavy or persistent as my previous attempt :rolleyes:

I got into the groove and rode to schedule, stopped for a few pictures and struggled the last hundred kays or so to meet the ferry on time. Roadworks and relentless speed restrictions stopped me from refueling prior to loading onto the ferry.

The comfort of a cabin allowed me two hours sleep prior to departing and continuing the South Island.

The weather was majestic until I approached Frans Josef. The weather was foul to say the least. My waterproof gear failed and my saddle bags became water panniers.

The only electronic device that remained operation was my TomTom. I considered pulling the pin again but i was so close. It was miserable and hard going then as quickly as it started it eased and things looked brighter. At my next refueling point I noticed oil leaking from my rear brake pedal, probably brake slave cylinder but i continued. It finally let go adding complexity to the enormity of the relentless twists and bends in the road.

I returned the bike to the rental firm, they asked if I had a good time and where’d I go, I said both islands, ooh was the reply, you know there's a lot to see as they read the odometer and the speedo recorded on the bikes log sheet. As if in disbelief the ignition was turned back on and speedo rechecked . . . enough said :p

NZ MailRun SS3000.jpg

Congrats Skidoo what a ride.

You make me laugh, I didn’t tell Jo as I didn’t want to worry her again lol! After your last visit to NZ I totally understand this comment :eek:

I would've loved to been a fly on the bike when you returned it, to see their faces o_O it would've been priceless :D

Skidoo

Premier Member
Congrats Skidoo what a ride.

You make me laugh, I didn’t tell Jo as I didn’t want to worry her again lol! After your last visit to NZ I totally understand this comment :eek:

I would've loved to been a fly on the bike when you returned it, to see their faces o_O it would've been priceless :D
I find its a little more bearable pre-ride not sharing details with a Jo as she really worries about some of the rides. Suppose I do have a tarnished history :rolleyes:

Agree, the look was priceless :eek: