Octogenarian effort

Okay, I'm shiny brand new. I'll be 80 in early June and decided I need to either do an Iron Butt of jump out of an airplane while I'm that age. Since I have a motorcycle and don't have a plane or a friend with one, the choice is obvious.

Is there another octogenarian in the house who has done a ride? Experiences? Advice specific to our age?

Thanks, Marty. I don't know what those are, but I can look 'em up here, I s-pose. I've got a route planned, 500 out, 500 back, that, in deference to my advanced seniority, is all interstate. I'm starting to condition and refresh my riding skills after maintaining a garage queen for a couple of years, and think I'll make the attempt this coming fall, after I've had time to condition a little and hurricane season quietens. A strong La Nina is building, which means an over-active hurricane season. At least I don't have a boat in the water any more.

Crafty_rider

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Hey Bernard,

I am a few decades shy of 80, but my birthday was yesterday...does that count...?!

Just kidding...

Methinks your plan of a simple out and back is very wise. You will get to see the condition of your return trip (ie. construction, etc.) on the way out.

I would say the most important thing to consider and keep in mind is to "know thyself". Are you able to "power nap" and feel refreshed...? Or do you feel like a banged-up pail of alligator shit when you wake from a nap...? Everybody is different.

If you are able to nap, it might be worth considering grabbing a quick nap at your turnaround point...depending on how much time you have...but if you are doing 100% interstate and don't have to stop too often, you should have several hours "in the bank" when you get to your turnaround.

I would also suggest getting a room as opposed to the IronButt Motel. Yes...it will be an expensive nap, but put it into perspective and consider it cheap "insurance". I completed the IBR last year (for the first time...woo-HOO!) and one of my goals was to get good rest every night (quality over quantity) and it certainly made the experience more enjoyable...

The final thing to remember is that it is only a ride and the last 100 miles are definitely going to be harder than the first 100 miles. If it isn't going to work this time (because you feel very tired towards the end or overslept or are extremely sore in places you did not think possible or whatever), do NOT try to "push through" or ride beyond your limits...pull the plug and try another day...it will just make for a better story...

I hope everything goes well for you...and if you decide to try the skydiving option instead, my cousin has over 600 jumps to his record and he would love to take you...;)

Cheers!

Hey Bernard,

I am a few decades shy of 80, but my birthday was yesterday...does that count...?!

Just kidding...

Methinks your plan of a simple out and back is very wise. You will get to see the condition of your return trip (ie. construction, etc.) on the way out.

I would say the most important thing to consider and keep in mind is to "know thyself". Are you able to "power nap" and feel refreshed...? Or do you feel like a banged-up pail of alligator shit when you wake from a nap...? Everybody is different.

If you are able to nap, it might be worth considering grabbing a quick nap at your turnaround point...depending on how much time you have...but if you are doing 100% interstate and don't have to stop too often, you should have several hours "in the bank" when you get to your turnaround.

I would also suggest getting a room as opposed to the IronButt Motel. Yes...it will be an expensive nap, but put it into perspective and consider it cheap "insurance". I completed the IBR last year (for the first time...woo-HOO!) and one of my goals was to get good rest every night (quality over quantity) and it certainly made the experience more enjoyable...

The final thing to remember is that it is only a ride and the last 100 miles are definitely going to be harder than the first 100 miles. If it isn't going to work this time (because you feel very tired towards the end or overslept or are extremely sore in places you did not think possible or whatever), do NOT try to "push through" or ride beyond your limits...pull the plug and try another day...it will just make for a better story...

I hope everything goes well for you...and if you decide to try the skydiving option instead, my cousin has over 600 jumps to his record and he would love to take you...;)

Cheers!
Crafty,

Thank you! Points well made! I laughed out loud -- with recognition -- at the alligator shit reference. I remembered this morning that a decade or more ago I rode non-stop from Round Rock, TX to Pensacola on a VStar 1100. That was 700 miles. If I'd forced myself I think I could have done another 300. And a few years later I did 690 in one day on a Suzuki VStrom 1000 and didn't feel beaten up at all when I stopped. Ah, the lost youth of late middle age! The VStar was a very comfortable machine, but it had two flaws: a previous owner has put Jardine pipes on it which had a wonderful burble around town but after something like 14 hours they sounded like I had an angry and very energetic bumblebee in my helmet. Otherwise I wasn't quite at alligator shit condition on arrival. The other flaw was that it was as common as a Styrofoam cup. I saw myself coming and going everywhere. Being the ornery Bust-My-Ass-On-The-Road-Untraveled sort, I sold it and went to a Moto Guzzi. It was after that I got the VStrom, one of two bikes I wish I'd not parted with. (The other was a wonderful Valkyrie Tourer.)

I came back from my first little foray of about 140 miles with a sharp pain in right kidney area. Since then it's faded in the fashion of an irritated nerve, but I've got a stone in that kidney the cutter wants to take out. I haven't agreed because it isn't bothering me and the last time I went under general I died for two minutes and I am loath to go under again unless I'll die if I don't. So -- if subsequent forays show there is a kidney stone problem, there goes Iron Butt for keeps. Unless I survive a removal in good enough condition to consider it again.

But just in case -- where's your cousin?

Patrick Ford

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
Thanks, Marty. I don't know what those are, but I can look 'em up here, I s-pose. I've got a route planned, 500 out, 500 back, that, in deference to my advanced seniority, is all interstate. I'm starting to condition and refresh my riding skills after maintaining a garage queen for a couple of years, and think I'll make the attempt this coming fall, after I've had time to condition a little and hurricane season quietens. A strong La Nina is building, which means an over-active hurricane season. At least I don't have a boat in the water any more.
Hi Bernard, you are really old. I won’t be 80 until Sept. You just. Want to go out and ride. Pick a distance, maybe 700 miles and go for it. Get a room and see how you feel after resting then go again if you feel good.

Since I just did my first IB last year, I'd say your plan for a simple out and back using Interstates is wise. I did similar for my first one, albeit it was a one way trip. Gave me some good insight into completing one. One thing I see posted a lot about doing IB's and it was true in my case despite what I thought was a simple plan - be ready to adapt to changing conditions over the course of the day.

Since you have a few months before your attempt, I'd probably say you could also work on building up your endurance with increasingly longer rides as training. Sounds like in the past you've done some long distances, so just a matter of refreshing yourself on that and figuring out what may have changed in the intervening years.

Good luck! Look forward to hearing how it goes for you.

What average speed on interstates should an old fart like me use when planning a 1K? About half on I-10 in Florida, which is easy riding barring wreck backups, and half on I-95 down the peninsula, which I expect will be on the hairy side. I've been using 55 overall. I am comfortable at burbling along at 75 and/or speed of traffic, which I consider to be generally the safest speed.

lakota

Premier Member
IBR Finisher
You have 24 hours to do it and there is no bonus reward for having time left over. Since you are going to be on the Interstate the traffic flow will get you to completion without stress. Just remember not to waste time at your fuel stops and/or bio breaks

What seems obvious now is the the program has to match the rider. And BC and I have had a divorce on the grounds of incompatibility.

BREAKING NEWS: A container ship took out the Frances Scott Key bridge over the Baltimore harbor this morning. See Fox News website. There's a video of it happening.